Please enlighten me on BML - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please enlighten me on BML

I am re-starting my 54 G corner tank which is lit with 1- 24 inch BML 10,000 planted and 1- 12 inch BML Iwagumi (10 white, 3 blue, 1 red, 1 amber LEDs) probably 7,000 K. My choice was based on PAR values at the bottom surface. What I need is information that I have lost, so please bear with me:

1. I need the PAR values for the two fixtures so I can set levels and timing to maximize vascular plant health while not encouraging algae.

2. A ramp light controller to replace what I believe is a partially dead BML Solar controller. Channels 2 and 3 do not seem to be working so I will be trouble shooting that unit. I already found that the supposed internal battery is missing so have rigged a UPS using a phone charger to cover power interruptions.

I'd very much appreciate being pointed to that information with a link.

My initial settings are to run the 10,000 K unit 12 hours total at 80% with 2 hour ramps at each end and the 7,000 K unit also at 12 hours at 80% with one hour ramps. Until I get the controller problem solved the 7,000 K unit is going to run at 100% for 12 hours. We'll se how the algae grows.

Thanks,

Corner Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, someone else with BML lighting! Pleased to 'meet' you, Corner Jim. I'm not sure to what extent I can help you with PAR figures for your two fixtures. I created my own custom design where my 24" fixture PPF is 40.38 micromoles/sec. The fixture is comprised of 16 x 5700K, 6 x 660nm, 2 x 505nm, 2 x 405nm, 2 x 525nm and 2 x 450nm LEDs. CCT is 6982K.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the internal battery is missing in the SoLunar! No wonder they got taken over by Osram! As I'm sure you're aware, they now appear to be a company called Fluence. Corinne is still there but Nick must have left recently as he no longer appears to be included in their Leadership list.

Good luck!

Anon

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have two 48"s over a 112g tank a 10,000k and a 6500k

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Jim View Post
I am re-starting my 54 G corner tank which is lit with 1- 24 inch BML 10,000 planted and 1- 12 inch BML Iwagumi (10 white, 3 blue, 1 red, 1 amber LEDs) probably 7,000 K. My choice was based on PAR values at the bottom surface. What I need is information that I have lost, so please bear with me:

1. I need the PAR values for the two fixtures so I can set levels and timing to maximize vascular plant health while not encouraging algae.
Even if you found the old PAR charts it is based on the lens. BML's had multiple lens choices.
also reg or XB series..

Quote:
2. A ramp light controller to replace what I believe is a partially dead BML Solar controller. Channels 2 and 3 do not seem to be working so I will be trouble shooting that unit. I already found that the supposed internal battery is missing so have rigged a UPS using a phone charger to cover power interruptions.

I'd very much appreciate being pointed to that information with a link.
Most BML (if not all) dim w/ 0-10v analog dimming..
10v power supply and pot should work as a substitute.
Drivers were mostly Inventronics so one could hunt for some more specifics.
don't remeber if the driver had a 10v "source" built in. Should list it on the driver sticker.

Quote:
My initial settings are to run the 10,000 K unit 12 hours total at 80% with 2 hour ramps at each end and the 7,000 K unit also at 12 hours at 80% with one hour ramps. Until I get the controller problem solved the 7,000 K unit is going to run at 100% for 12 hours. We'll see how the algae grows.

Thanks,

Corner Jim
Keeping the tank clean and not running out of CO2 and/or ferts combats algae much more efficient than lighting..

The "par" measurements between various flavors should be all fairly similar..
https://aquariumspecialty.com/blog/build-my-led-xb/

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode