Choosing light to enhance colors (intensity vs spectrum) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mboley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Choosing light to enhance colors (intensity vs spectrum)

Hi guys,

So when it comes to lighting, my main focus has always been getting lights with a strong enough intensity to illicit red coloration as well as grow high light plants. I'm beginning to wonder if I should also focus on the color spectrum as well since it can have such a drastic change on how the colors in the tank are observed.

Is it possible that the copper colors I'm getting in my setup (rotala colorata, AR and AR mini) are actually red enough, but the light spectrum I'm using simply isn't enhancing them as well as they could be?

If you believe that spectrum can have a drastic affect on how these darker and more brilliant color differences are perceived, can you suggest light systems that I should look into to both maintain high intensity, as well as draw out more color? Currently I'm using the following fixture.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1590863712332
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes color of light plays a role in how our eyes perceive color in out tanks.

Here is a thread devoted to it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11219711

But as you will note, the comparisons are with T5 bulbs. There is a reason for that, as very few LED lights can rival the color that T5 provides.

The fixture you linked to has very little to none in the red spectrum.

All that being said, intensity of light also plays a large role in the color of most plants. So for the best color you need both high intensity and good color spectrum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can you suggest any led lights under $100 that would provide better red spectrum? This would be for a 20 imch light.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah410 View Post
Can you suggest any led lights under $100 that would provide better red spectrum? This would be for a 20 imch light.
There aren't any.

---
---
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah410 View Post
Here's one for $89, but you still need bulbs, so plus $80-$100.

VIVOSUN 6500K 2FT T5 HO Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture for Indoor Plants, UL Listed High Output Fluorescent Tubes, 4 Lamps https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XFNLM..._IXa1EbEPV7R44

If you want reds like this T5's are the choice; if you don't just change a bulb. You cant do that with an LED.
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well there is one for $100 but only if you have a tiny tank.

ONF Flat Nano
https://buceplant.com/products/onf-f...no-led-light-1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode