Your opinion on NICREW Skyled plus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your opinion on NICREW Skyled plus

Hello, so they're selling this light called NICREW Skyled plus. I read good reviews of the nicrew brand in this forum and I just wanted to see if somebody has used this new skyled.

It says it can cover from 18 to 24" which means the light is probably 18 inches long, don't know if those missing 6" would be a problem for my project which is a 24"x"24 cube tank, only 12" tall.

Mostly wanna keep Hemianthus montecarlo, Utricularia Graminifolia, and perhaps Elatine Hydropiper.

Also are there any clip on led lights you would recommend? I prefer the asthetics of clip on. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Stated as 63par at 12” through air so realistically only about 50par at substrate with water in the tank. You would also need 2 of them to cover a 24x24 footprint tank.

Nicrew Classic LED Plus is stated as 72par at 12”.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How many pars would you recommend as enough?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, do I really need 2? I know these things can get really bright and it is only 12" tall Iwagumi style
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With the tank being only 12" deep you could probably use one of these. Has several clip on options.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaIlluminat...s%2C142&sr=8-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Asteroid; 05-30-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, the fluval I've heard are too expensive for what they do, and I would have to buy 2.

I find another possible option instead of NICREW. The problem I have with the NICREW is that they are 18" and can extend to 24" but they look weird for that reason and also not so good coverage on the sites, also the dimmer/timer is extra $14 and people say it is crap. I only wanted them because they have good reviews for a cheap light.

But I find this other one called hygger:
https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Aquari...0&sr=8-46&th=1

This one does come in 24" size which would look less weird and it comes already with dimmer/timmer nicely integrated. Maybe I could buy 2x of these. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS NO REVIEWS. What do you think?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

not sure what others have not liked about the dimmer/timer, i got the basic one initially for my 100cm classic light but could see the lighting intensity step every minute during dim/brighten cycle which i didn't like , however i upgraded to the pro version that has 6 daily programs and that lets you string 3 separate phases over 90 mins to brighten and another 3 to dim and its now a nice smooth change.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 04:22 PM

I just purchased this light for a 10 gallon tank I'm setting up which will be dirted. I decided that I am going to hold on the dimmer and assess when I first set up. I plan on starting with full light for 5 hours and ramping up from there as the tank establishes itself. I will report back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I have a NICREW ClassicLED Plus and it works pretty well. I'd like a little more red coloration and less blue/white, but I can't be too picky with a $30 fixture.

You could get the 16w version of this Hygger light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode