• 1 Post By jaz419
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Off the shelf LED highest PAR/PUR

Hello everyone, experienced fish-keeper, novice plant grower. :-) I'm working through the in-and-outs of my first planted tank, 180 gallon, 24" deep, and have been making steady progress - enough to finally conclude I need more light. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...n-iwagumi.html

The set up I bought on craigslist came with 4 Satellite Pro Plus 48" LEDs, and after the initial planting I soon realized I needed more so I added 3X24" Satellite Plus Pro's, equivalent to one 72" strip across the whole tank. These are running down the center, and seem to provide adequate lighting for the built-up plants in the center, from 6-12" depth. The 4 regular 48" satellite plus's on the front and back of the tank, are inadequate to color up my Rotala along the back glass, or grow a decent carpet of HC Cuba and the crypts at 24" depth along the front glass.

I've been searching for a plug-and play LED strip (on-off is all I need) to run along the front and back of my 72" tank. I've been searching through the chafe for a while and just need some simple info on PAR/PUR of the various options, which ideally would be of the "strip LED" configuration to fit under my Marineland canopy.

This page https://answers.seneye.com/index.php...ant_PAR_levels tells me my crypts would ideally like 125 par, which I seem to be hard pressed to achieve at 24 inches with strip LEDs.

I've compared BeamsWork, Fuval, Current, etc etc. but the data is murky. Which one will make my reds pop and my carpet shine at 24" depth? Cost is not so important as is the ability to slip in some strips to replace my Satellite Plus's.

Thanks!
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

If you really want to bump up the light on a 180g tank, you might want to look into a T5HO set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
For what it's worth, I will say that on my 21" deep 75g tank I "can" get really close to 200par at the substrate with a pair of EcoTech Radion XR15 Freshwater lights (former Satellite Plus Pro user). I choose to stay around 110-120par. I can also say that @Greggz has gone over 150par with his T5HO setup and I believe his tank is closer to the same depth as yours.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I did not do these measurements so I can't speak for their accuracy...I found this information a while back in an old thread in these forums....

SB Reef freshwater 18"

Immortal1 likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
Hello everyone, experienced fish-keeper, novice plant grower. :-) I'm working through the in-and-outs of my first planted tank, 180 gallon, 24" deep, and have been making steady progress - enough to finally conclude I need more light. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...n-iwagumi.html

The set up I bought on craigslist came with 4 Satellite Pro Plus 48" LEDs, and after the initial planting I soon realized I needed more so I added 3X24" Satellite Plus Pro's, equivalent to one 72" strip across the whole tank. These are running down the center, and seem to provide adequate lighting for the built-up plants in the center, from 6-12" depth. The 4 regular 48" satellite plus's on the front and back of the tank, are inadequate to color up my Rotala along the back glass, or grow a decent carpet of HC Cuba and the crypts at 24" depth along the front glass.

I've been searching for a plug-and play LED strip (on-off is all I need) to run along the front and back of my 72" tank. I've been searching through the chafe for a while and just need some simple info on PAR/PUR of the various options, which ideally would be of the "strip LED" configuration to fit under my Marineland canopy.

This page https://answers.seneye.com/index.php...ant_PAR_levels tells me my crypts would ideally like 125 par, which I seem to be hard pressed to achieve at 24 inches with strip LEDs.

I've compared BeamsWork, Fuval, Current, etc etc. but the data is murky. Which one will make my reds pop and my carpet shine at 24" depth? Cost is not so important as is the ability to slip in some strips to replace my Satellite Plus's.

Thanks!
4 of these at $50 each should work. No guarantee of the color since it is pretty blue centric...but adds enough punch and color..
Looks like this..

A much better and bluer bar @ 72" each is $300 though..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbar-supple...sbar_sizing-72

Orphek or-90's are also a possibility but their fw is sort of "busy" to me....but $180 each at 36"

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions and give me a jumping off point. The SB Reef lights looks like it would work (and then some!), except I have a standard Marineland canopy with only 9" of clearance above the tank, it wouldn't seem possible that the SB Reef could fit. It's why I'm biased towards the thin strip lights like the Current.

The built-up areas on the right and left seem OK with the satellite plus pros, but the thin stretch of HC running along the front along with the crypts there are suffering and I'd like to blast that part especially.

Jeffkrol, The sb reef light supplement 72" looks like the right form, but I can't find spectrum info, I assume it has minimal red? Do you have one? It's designed for reef tanks, right? I'd love to see how it looks on a tank, and how the plants react to all that 450nm.

I found this review on youtube: Seems this could get me to 50+ PAR or so at 21", and the Current pros would get me closer to 100 or a little shy. It seems SB Reef will custom blend the LEDs, (and I'm a complete novice so . . . ) would something like 30 450nm, 16 10,000K, and 8 red bulbs (nm?) be more beneficial for a planted tank?

The Orpheks look like they would do the trick, too, if the quality is there.

Last edited by Swamp Thing; 05-06-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: temporal anomaly
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions and give me a jumping off point. The SB Reef lights looks like it would work (and then some!), except I have a standard Marineland canopy with only 9" of clearance above the tank, it wouldn't seem possible that the SB Reef could fit. It's why I'm biased towards the thin strip lights like the Current.

The built-up areas on the right and left seem OK with the satellite plus pros, but the thin stretch of HC running along the front along with the crypts there are suffering and I'd like to blast that part especially.

Jeffkrol, The sb reef light supplement 72" looks like the right form, but I can't find spectrum info, I assume it has minimal red? Do you have one? It's designed for reef tanks, right? I'd love to see how it looks on a tank, and how the plants react to all that 450nm.

I found this review on youtube: Seems this could get me to 50+ PAR or so at 21", and the Current pros would get me closer to 100 or a little shy. It seems SB Reef will custom blend the LEDs, (and I'm a complete novice so . . . ) would something like 30 450nm, 16 10,000K, and 8 red bulbs (nm?) be more beneficial for a planted tank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3ORhPoxpg

The Orpheks look like they would do the trick, too, if the quality is there.

Custom light bars open up a large pallette.
The "what colors produce the most color" is sort of a wide open question. Technically many pigments require red light to be created BUT in practice, doesn't seem to work that way..
Easiest is to blast the "par"...........

And as to a custom spectrum.. No I wouldn't recommend what you posted.
As to an alternative, depends on what diodes they have available..

Orphek does the same thing, customizes.. They have a limited palette though.

simple experimental bar
* MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
LED Violet (420nm) [120] x1
LED Cyan (500nm) [120] x1
LED WarmWhite (3000K) [120] x2

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 261 lm
Radiant flux : 1,211 mW
PPF : 5.1 umol/s
TCP : 7090 K
CRI : 93
λp : 418 nm
Color : #FFE1FE

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-04-2020 at 11:20 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I think I'll look into getting one of those 2 companies (probably SB Reef?) to do a custom strip for me. I don't need too much more light, I'm just looking for a min of 100 PAR at 22", including the satellite pro's which I'll keep along the front glass. That will let me even keep a couple of the satellite plus's along the back glass to (visually) fill in the shadows.

I'll research the custom LEDs DIYs, that should keep me busy this week. Orphek's are as so:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode