Lighting new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting new tank

Hello I have a new tank(it is established just upgraded used same water and substrate. But it is 30" long 12.5" high 12" deep(believe that is considered a 20 gallon long). But I am looking for a good coat effective LED light that will bring the color of my fish out (maybe 50 dollar range give or take)... Want it to be programmable and be suitable getting dwarf hair grass growing. I'm struggle to get it going(it shoots up new blades then they die off). my water is as hard as water can get not sure if that's the issue... But I do just have a cheap hood light with LED strips in it that came with it... It's only about 13" long probably came from a 10 gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

About the cheapest..

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquari...st_sto_dp&th=1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. And that will provide all my needs? I hear dwarf hair grass can require some higher lighting(atleast when trying to establish it). And programmable? And bring out the color of my fish??

I don't necessarily need the cheapest... I am willing to pay a little extra to make sure the needs are met. As I don't want a cheap light that will crap out or not work...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...00&sr=8-3&th=1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright thanks much so I'm looking at 100 bucks. That's probably a middle of the pack type of light o assume
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

I have the finnex CRV 30 in on a 29 gal. It lights the tank well and the 24/7 feature is a plus. But you will need to set it the way your tank needs. Color in the fish to me look good. Here is mine at almost full power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_171708_compress9_1587437882623.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	896901  

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

I in no way mean to hijack the OP's thread, but we are basically looking for similar features out of a light fixture for a 20 gallon long. I have one question. Can you set the light to turn off completely at some point in the 24/7 cycle? Or does it always light up with some sort of blue/black light at night?

26G BF
40G Breeder (soon to be planted)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...26&sr=8-1&th=1

This is one of the lights I am using. My tank is a 29 so a bit taller. I ran one of these for quite some time before adding another. (I only run the other for a couple hours a day). To me the color is great and pretty intense. I use it with a nicrew ramp timer and it works swell.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode