12am - 0 all around
3am - 0
6am - 0
9am - 0
12pm - 0
3pm - W1 / R2 / G0 / B0
6pm - MAX all around
9pm - W1 / R0 / G1 / B2

So i was wondering, since the finnex ramps up about 2 and a half hours prior to my 3pm setting, should my co2 come on an hour or so before ANY light comes on(so co2 turns on before the ramp up)? Or should my co2 come on an hour or so before my 3pm setting?

Also, my tank is fairly new. Only been up 12days.

Also if anyone has any good custom settings for this light along with a co2 schedule, i would greatly appreciate that.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-14-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bump. I just ordered this light myself will be interesting to see what information you get.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Bump. I just ordered this light myself will be interesting to see what information you get.
The ramp up schedule is a bit weird for me since i try to time co2 with it. But if you get it down, please share settings?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 10:48 PM
Algae Grower

Once mine arrives. I will be more than happy to share.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

@Gunny I have the same light with C02. Right now, my kids are home all day so I have the lights on, but fairly low from 6am-12pm. Then it's full bright until 6pm, then the same dim light until midnight because I'm up late and like to enjoy. The "sunrise/set" look is more red/blue than anything so it looks like a sunrise.

So far so good, no algae build up. But this is a cycled tank with no fish (thanks quarantine) and tons of plants. Also only been a week, so I'm sure it'll change.

How deep is your tank? Mine is a shallow/long tank, so it's only about 12" from light to plants. They pearl in the evening and like I said, no algae buildup so I guess max lighting is ok so far!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Algae Grower

It will be going on a 29 gal. Depth to substrate is about 16in. I am currently running a beamswork da fspec for 6 hours ish on at 1230 and off at 1830. I am fighting some bba but it's slowly going away. I did go thru a fight with hair algae glad that's gone. I do turn co2 2 hours prior to lights on. So I might continue to do that as well. Can't wait to see what this thing will do for the red plants I have. Your light scedhule sounds about what I am going to do as well. Name:  20200409_173620_resize_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  60.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCole2014 View Post
So far so good, no algae build up. But this is a cycled tank with no fish (thanks quarantine) and tons of plants. Also only been a week, so I'm sure it'll change.
Did you use potted or tissue culture plants? Also was the filter cycled from day 1? I did a new tank and all tissue culture with the finnex light and 80-90% of plants are melting and getting this hair like algae?? I think. Any tips? Im and my wits end with this new setup. Close to scrapping and starting over again.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningendou View Post
Did you use potted or tissue culture plants? Also was the filter cycled from day 1? I did a new tank and all tissue culture with the finnex light and 80-90% of plants are melting and getting this hair like algae?? I think. Any tips? Im and my wits end with this new setup. Close to scrapping and starting over again.
So my tank is been running for just over a year. I had a battle with gsa, gda, bba, and some fuzz algae. I also bought my plants from burr740 and a few others here. If you are getting hair algae on your plants it could been not enough nitrates. What's your current dosing for ferts and other parameters? I can give you what I am dosing as well if that will help.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningendou View Post

Did you use potted or tissue culture plants? Also was the filter cycled from day 1?
I'm not your best resource, this is my first high tech tank!

I got all of my plants from cuttings other members on here made. Very little melt. Yes, the filter was cycled before anything was added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
So my tank is been running for just over a year. I had a battle with gsa, gda, bba, and some fuzz algae. I also bought my plants from burr740 and a few others here. If you are getting hair algae on your plants it could been not enough nitrates. What's your current dosing for ferts and other parameters? I can give you what I am dosing as well if that will help.
So tank is only 14days. I started dosing ADA BRIGHTY NEUTRAL K, and MINERAL starting on the 8th day. Have aquasoil, and power sand.
Ph is around 6.4-7 due to co2, ammonia is at 1.0ppm and dropping, nitrite slowly rising, and nitrate is alittle over 0ppm. KH is about 4-5.

Also you say you have the finnex on low light from 6am-12pm, how many clicks(1-10)? And does that wake your plants up? Ive tried setting a dim light before max photoperiod but the light always starts to turn on and ramp up to my setting, which wakes up plants prior to co2 coming on.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

I've been running this light for about 18 months now and really like it, but there is a learning curve to it. I think Finnex could do much better with the programming part. A couple things I've learned:

Yes, there is a significant ramp up/down to the desired brightness, but you don't have to set the current time to the actual current time. For example, I want all lights off by 10:30pm so I set the current time of midnight to actually be 10:30pm. I get the desired "sundown" effect starting around 7:30pm. I've programmed 0 for all lights for the 12am, 3am, 6am and 9am slots then full lights at the 12pm (noon) so "sunrise" starts at 10:30am actual time. I should add that this 65 gallon community tank is in a very bright room and gets some direct sunlight (if it's sunny) at around 10:30am and again at the end of the day when the sun actually sets. Just providing an example of how you have some flexibility with the programming.

The other point I want to make is I believe it does depend on the ambient light when photosynthesis starts and that should dictate when you start CO2. I think if your tank is in a very light-controlled setting you can base the start time with your lighting schedule, but if plants detect actual light from the real sunrise you should probably base the the CO2 start-up on that. I'm no biologist but this is how I've come to understand photosynthesis and I invite correction/comment from the more knowledgeable here.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

Light arrived today. I ended up ordering the CRV model. I will need a week to run it. But it sounds like I will need to run my co2 from 0930-till about 2100. I also kept my beams work da fspec on I plan on running that for 1 hr at 70% just to get some extra par in there. I will report back with results or algae issues.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

Alright quick up date. I had my timing they same as yours @Ningendou. I have made.some changes to it so it is lights out at 2300 (11pm). I have noticed some hair algae growing again on so e of the roots of my stems. So I might have to change the settings again. @ChuckM I think your on to something with having co2 on earlier. I will tweak this as well to come on hour before lights in. I think right now co2 comes on when lights start to ramp. All in all I love the color of the lights. This photo also has the beamswork da fspec at 70%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_175327_compress5_1587684036256.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	897153  

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As far as figuring when to turn on co2 with 24/7 light it should probably be based on co2 levels at lights on. Some tanks will degass almost completely overnight and would need the preemptive period before lights on, others don't lose that much. My Finnex 24/7 CC is on 18 hrs a day and I"m only running co2 10 hrs because I have very little surface agitation. So I'm only losing around 1/3 of my co2 from one day to the next. I would just check your ph drop and drop checker to see where you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i took my tank down. Way too much melting and algae for my schedule. I probably could have reversed it, but just got lazy to. I am rescaping (again), and im pretty sure the major melting and algae was due to a combination of light and co2. More the light schedule if anything.
I’ll be running pretty much the same plants, Black Seiryu, and manzanita wood.
@ChuckM I get home around 4pm, I’ve been trying to input a good light schedule around that. What setting would you input for the 3pm slot? You can include a dawn/dusk schedule if you want, as i will eventually max the photoperiod in the future.
Also, i have read around that you should start light at 4hours, at 50% intensity for a new tank, when would you start increasing duration and intensity of light if i were to start this way?
@Gunny Nice tank! And awesome looking plants!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode