Fluval Plant 3.0 LED - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Plant 3.0 LED

Hi, I have two of these on two different tanks, love how much I can control the lighting. However, I really want to raise them up over the glass for easier maintenance. I have no way to hang from the ceiling, so cannot use the hanging kits. They are just sitting on top of the glass on a rimless tank right now.

Could I use the Current LED Adjustable Tank Mount Bracket - https://www.marinedepot.com/current-...mount-bracket?

Has anyone else found a solution?

Thank you!!!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Hi, I have two of these on two different tanks, love how much I can control the lighting. However, I really want to raise them up over the glass for easier maintenance. I have no way to hang from the ceiling, so cannot use the hanging kits. They are just sitting on top of the glass on a rimless tank right now.

Has anyone else found a solution?

Thank you!!!
Yup. I made my own risers for it. Love this light, but love it even more after this modification. Here’s what I did:

https://www.plantedtank.net/#/topics/1297683

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi, thanks for the feedback; I clicked on the link but do not find the topic. I am not sure how to search the number. Curious to see what you did, of course, but likely out of my skill set!!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
@fatguy, that link isn't taking us to the thread. I'd look through post history but you have over 1K posts.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
@fatguy, that link isn't taking us to the thread. I'd look through post history but you have over 1K posts.
Weird let me try it again. (Or you can look through 1k of my posts)

Click here:

DIY Led Risers

Best,

Fat Guy
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea, that link worked, thank you!!! But, as I said, I am somewhat challenged when it comes to some of this stuff. Would you be so good as to share the dimensions of the plexiglass? How did you create an opening for it to fit over the rim of the tank? Are you happy with the 5" above tank with the Fluval 3.0? I do like the light as well, but your comment on the spread was helpful.

Thank you, thank you!!!

Fluval just sent me a link to some 3D printed ones, but they are kind of ugly! Yours look great, you should 'market' them!!

Bump: Fluval just sent me a link to some 3D printed ones, but they are kind of ugly! Yours look great, you should 'market' them!!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-25-2020 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This user has some nice riser bracket over the tank.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ou-all-do.html

There many DIY things you can hang light from. This one gets you a shelf above tank for fishfood and stuff.

If you could post a a pic of your tank and setup someone around here can probably come up with a solution.
evil8 and fish+plants like this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

I have had the Fluval 3.0 for 5 weeks now. I was lucky because the Fluval 34 gallon aquarium came with 5 inch risers built into the tank design. I tried putting the strip directly above the surface, but the light distribution was bad. Since putting it on the risers again I have found that there is far better coverage, and no areas without adequate light ! Hope you find a solution soon 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_165513_1582333088318.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	893687  

fish+plants likes this.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the input; I don't have a wall high enough behind tank to do anything there. I ordered the mounting clips, finally found them in the US, for the Fluval 3.0 and the Current tank mount bracket. We shall see when they arrive if it works. I have also looked at grow light stands and may try one of those.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM
Algae Grower

Have you tried mounting it yet? How did it go? I am looking into mounting one also and was hoping the Current USA mount worked for you. Where did you get the mounting clips from? Thanks
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the current led mounts but the problem with them is that they are ugly and really long. They also arent perfectly even. One's angle is larger than the other's at the elbow which makes for a crooked light.

Also, one of these in the middle will NOT hold an led light perfectly straight. It ties one way or the other.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
I have the current led mounts but the problem with them is that they are ugly and really long. They also arent perfectly even. One's angle is larger than the other's at the elbow which makes for a crooked light.

Also, one of these in the middle will NOT hold an led light perfectly straight. It ties one way or the other.
That's unfortunate. I am in the planning stage of Innovative Marine 30L build and was trying to figure out how to mount a Fluval Plant 3.0 to the rear as well. I can't hang mine and because of the IM 30L length (35.43") and the Fluval 3.0 Plant being 36", I am worried about the overhang might be a problem with it just sitting on the sides of the tank. Another alternative would be to purchase 2x Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano Lights which I can mount on the back, but am not sure it would have the equivalent light benefit as a full 36" strip of lights. Any further input would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use a pair of Nanos on a 20 gallon, and a 16 gallon, both at 50% or less, max.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-27-2020 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Details
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi, you are right, the Current LED mount is ugly plus does not work. The Fluval fixture was too heavy I think and it tipped at an awful angle. I searched forever to find the clips for the Fluval, finally found at Marine and Reef.com. They have both regular clips and a suspension kit, both of which fit the Fluval 3.0. They were super quick with shipping as well. The iGrowtek 2 feet LED Grow Light Stand Rack at Amazon did work and does not look too bad. They have different lengths as well. It has adjustable hanging system with small clips so I put a small ring through the back of the Fluval mounting clip and hooked to that. I did find another system which mounts on the back of a cabinet, Marine and Reef as well, but I have no cabinet to mount to. It may help for you Wonger77. I sure wish Fluval would come up with a system, maybe we could all lobby them!!
Wonger77 and evil8 like this.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Last edited by fish+plants; 02-27-2020 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm still looking for a good looking mounting kit for the fluval 3.0. Something similar to the twinstar mounts that sit on the sides of the tank.

Haven't found one yet. Seems like a big oversight on fluval's part and is the only reason I didn't buy the light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode