3ft tank t5ho options - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaz419

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
3ft tank t5ho options

Either late this year or early next year Iím planning on moving from my current 60cm(2ft) tank to a 90cm(3ft) tank.

Iím also considering trying t5. One of the things that pulled me in that direction initially is that I can get a 36Ē long fixture, and it would be nice to run this tank with one fixture instead of 2. But the problem Iím running into is that thereís a lot of tubes that seem to be mostly (possibly only) available in 2í or 4í.

Anyone with a 3í fixture Have trouble finding specific bulbs in 3í length? Seems to be less of a problem when you go with aquarium specific tubes, but Iím interested in some horticulture tubes like for example powerveg 633 or 660... seem to only come in 2í or 4í. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:03 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I know of a few 36" 39 watt T5s out there (Bulk Reef Supply will have a few) and Coralife at least used to make one. In T5 HO it's not a common size but they exist https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001CYV2B4/.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I know of a few 36" 39 watt T5s out there (Bulk Reef Supply will have a few) and Coralife at least used to make one. In T5 HO it's not a common size but they exist https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001CYV2B4/.

Yeah Iíve definitely found fixtures without a problem. And plenty of aquarium specific sites have tubes that fit.

Iím just having trouble finding tubes that are horticulture specific, like the ones I mentioned above. They donít seem to come in 3í

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Lots of folks out there with 3 foot tanks, hopefully someone running T5s will chime in soon.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz419 View Post
Yeah I’ve definitely found fixtures without a problem. And plenty of aquarium specific sites have tubes that fit.

I’m just having trouble finding tubes that are horticulture specific, like the ones I mentioned above. They don’t seem to come in 3’

Unfortunately there are no horticulture bulb manufacturers that make a 3' bulb, specifically "Eye Hortilux" who make the power veg bulbs. Hydroponics T5 fixtures only come with 2' or 4' bulbs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmm well, whatís the consensus on using a 2ft fixture on a 3ft tank? Is it enough light at the ends even though the lights donít go ďend to endĒ?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hmm well, whatís the consensus on using a 2ft fixture on a 3ft tank? Is it enough light at the ends even though the lights donít go ďend to endĒ?

I would this the 6 inches on each side would suffer with spread.

I did just move to T5H0 on my 4ft tanks from cheap LED's myself, but wondering if you would consider a LED fixture on the 3ft? Lots of options there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I would this the 6 inches on each side would suffer with spread.

I did just move to T5H0 on my 4ft tanks from cheap LED's myself, but wondering if you would consider a LED fixture on the 3ft? Lots of options there!

Yeah Iíve been using LEDs with my tanks and donít have much of an issue going with them on the new tank. If I did go LED it would be very likely Iíd go with 2 fixtures.

Iím just interested in trying t5, and extra interested if I can use only 1 fixture and still get full coverage... but with the tubes I want to be using, it would have to be a 2ft fixture at this point

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Yeah Iíve been using LEDs with my tanks and donít have much of an issue going with them on the new tank. If I did go LED it would be very likely Iíd go with 2 fixtures.

Iím just interested in trying t5, and extra interested if I can use only 1 fixture and still get full coverage... but with the tubes I want to be using, it would have to be a 2ft fixture at this point

I was trying to find the DIY thread about this but cannot. Basically they modified a T5 H.O. fixture that used the 3' 39w bulb. Moved the tombstone ends in to accommodate the smaller 2' bulbs then added a spiral compact light bulb to either end to make up for the lack of light at the ends. Any ballast that will run the 3' 39w T5 bulbs will run the shorter 2' no problem.

Probably more work then you want though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode