UNS Titan 1 PAR Data - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
UNS Titan 1 PAR Data

Hello, I just wanted to share some data I collected in the event that it might be helpful to someone.

I am a beginner aquascaper with a 90 gallon planted tank (image in Attachment 1) with dimensions of L48"xW18"xH26". I have two Ultum Nature Systems UNS Titan 1 lights (same/similar to ADA Solar RGB light?) mounted from my ceiling. I was experiencing pretty bad algae issues with my lights 12" over the tank (despite ~30ppm CO2 and daily ferts), and thought excess light might be the cause. I found a PAR table for the light from Glass Aqua (Attachment 2), but it couldn't tell me what my PAR would be at the bottom of such a deep tank, so I decided to rent an Apogee MQ-510 PAR meter.

Below is some of the rough data I collected. Attachment 3 has this in a graph. In a nutshell, this is a very bright light!

The "just under waterline" values were generated by taking PAR readings just below the surface all over the tank and averaging the values. The "22in below waterline" values are averages of measurements taken at the substrate--the amount of light the micro sword carpet is receiving.

You may notice a discrepancy between my numbers and the numbers from UNS. My theory is that UNS was measuring without submersing the probe underwater. The numbers I got when I placed the probe just above the water track with their numbers.

Hanging Height: 18"
PAR just under waterline: ~170
PAR 22in below waterline: ~90

Hanging Height: 20"
PAR just under waterline: ~150
PAR 22in below waterline: ~85

Hanging Height: 24"
PAR just under waterline: ~120
PAR 22in below waterline: ~70

Hanging Height: 27"
PAR just under waterline: ~110
PAR 22in below waterline: ~60

Hanging Height: 29"
PAR just under waterline: ~95
PAR 22in below waterline: ~55

Hanging Height: 31"
PAR just under waterline: ~90
PAR 22in below waterline: ~45

I am going to hang my lights at 30" and hope my algae problems improve. This will give me roughly 50 PAR at the substrate, with a max PAR in the tank around 90. In shady spots, it goes as low as 25-30, which I am hoping won't be a problem.

My main takeaway from this exercise--when trying to solve a problem it helps to get the actual data rather than just guessing at an important parameter. I would never have thought this light has such high PAR. The light has no dimmer so the only way to lower the intensity is to raise it up higher. I'm pretty sure that if I suspended this light using the UNS light-hanging bar, I wouldn't have been able to get it up so high (instead I simply suspended the lights on hooks anchored into my concrete ceiling).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	893367  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have this light hanging 16” over a 12” deep tank and it has been working well. Do you know how the intensity changes as you move along the length of the tank? I have it over a 3’ tank and the edges seem much dimmer.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I have two hanging over a 4' tank so for me it's 2' per light, and there was very little dropoff along the edges. Interestingly the light intensity was at its highest in the front corner of the tank, likely due to reflection from the glass.

I can't speak to your particular situation, but the UNS PAR table above does show a significant dropoff once you get farther away from the center of the light.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgaeKeeper View Post
I have two hanging over a 4' tank so for me it's 2' per light, and there was very little dropoff along the edges. Interestingly the light intensity was at its highest in the front corner of the tank, likely due to reflection from the glass.

I can't speak to your particular situation, but the UNS PAR table above does show a significant dropoff once you get farther away from the center of the light.
Yea physics..
https://www.instructables.com/id/Diffusing-LEDs-Right/

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
large planted terrarium, led lighting, par meter, par rating, par value

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode