Returning hobbyist looking to start back up correctly - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Returning hobbyist looking to start back up correctly

I’m looking to get back into the planted tank game and have been doing a lot of research to catch back up on the latest trends. I’ve been scouring this forum but this is my first post.

Lighting is where I’m seeing the biggest changes/advancements. I’m going to be setting up a standard 65gal (36x18x24), running CO2, does ferts as needed, and would like to be able to grow pretty much anything I’d want. I currently have 2 18” CurrentUSA pro lights that I could use but I’ve never used them on a tank this deep. I would like to have a carpeted bottom but haven’t picked out any specific plants until I’ve selected all my hardware.

My questions to the forum is:
Are the CurrentUSA Pro lights I currently have adequate enough? If not what do you recommend and why?

This may be a dumb question but how much does a glass top effect PAR values?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:22 AM
Suspended

Glass.. 10-15%
My "go to" article..
https://www.thekrib.com/Lights/lights-wozniak.html
Quote:
I measured the light reduction entering the aquarium water on a "dirty" glass top to be about 5 percent more than a no glass top setup.
Others post higer thus the "fudge factor" above

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrillo68 View Post
Iím looking to get back into the planted tank game and have been doing a lot of research to catch back up on the latest trends. Iíve been scouring this forum but this is my first post.

Lighting is where Iím seeing the biggest changes/advancements. Iím going to be setting up a standard 65gal (36x18x24), running CO2, does ferts as needed, and would like to be able to grow pretty much anything Iíd want. I currently have 2 18Ē CurrentUSA pro lights that I could use but Iíve never used them on a tank this deep. I would like to have a carpeted bottom but havenít picked out any specific plants until Iíve selected all my hardware.

Are the CurrentUSA Pro lights I currently have adequate enough? If not what do you recommend and why?

Current is currently selling a Satellite Plus Pro light and advertises par to be 65 at 24". Your par will be less because first there will be a glass top and then because that 65 is almost certainly the par directly under the light. So the front and the back (assuming you put the lights in a row running down the middle of the tank) will have a little less par.

If that 65 number is be believed then the dimmest part of your tank will still be in the 40s... probably.. and also assuming that your light is similar to the advertised plus pro in terms of light output.

To be more specific then that you are going to need a par meter. These can be rented online or possibly from your local fish store.

What does this mean for you?

Chances are pretty good you will be able to grow most things you want to grow. However, your tank will not be considered "high light" throughout the entire substrate level without some elevations taking place in the darker spots. /shrug this might not matter to you depending on where you want your carpet and at what depth.

If it were me, I would just go with what I had first and wait and see if it works rather then drop a few hundred on lights I might not even need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrillo68 View Post
Iím looking to get back into the planted tank game and have been doing a lot of research to catch back up on the latest trends. Iíve been scouring this forum but this is my first post.

Lighting is where Iím seeing the biggest changes/advancements. Iím going to be setting up a standard 65gal (36x18x24), running CO2, does ferts as needed, and would like to be able to grow pretty much anything Iíd want. I currently have 2 18Ē CurrentUSA pro lights that I could use but Iíve never used them on a tank this deep. I would like to have a carpeted bottom but havenít picked out any specific plants until Iíve selected all my hardware.

No the 2 short Currents are probably not really enough..
Tanks to wide and deep to be "ideal"..

Now you could go like the $400 bells and whistles route or go as low as $55 for the bar bones route..

The bare bones is a supplement to your 2 currents..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF0878...ing=UTF8&psc=1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
No the 2 short Currents are probably not really enough..
Tanks to wide and deep to be "ideal"..

Now you could go like the $400 bells and whistles route or go as low as $55 for the bar bones route..

The bare bones is a supplement to your 2 currents..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF0878...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for you input.

I’m leaning towards the Fluval 3.0 has a middle of the road option that my Currents can supplement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode