2Likes
  • 1 Post By zdrc
  • 1 Post By Grobbins48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Full Spectrum Grow Lights

Hey, has anyone tried lights like these? --> one, two, and three.

They seem quite nice, they're supposedly full spectrum so they don't have the downside of traditional grow lights, and they're pretty cheap. The only downside is figuring out how to hang them, but that's not really a big deal.

Honestly, I'm almost worried they'll be to strong for the 7" deep tank they'll be lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdrc View Post

They seem quite nice, they're supposedly full spectrum so they don't have the downside of traditional grow lights, and they're pretty cheap. The only downside is figuring out how to hang them, but that's not really a big deal.

Honestly, I'm almost worried they'll be to strong for the 7" deep tank they'll be lighting.
HAHA, I was just about to make a thread about this!

It seems there is lower wattage COBs, avaible that are also "Full spectrum" There is the "sunlikes" that use the toshiba Tri Rs, and apparently a bridgelux that is discussed here, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...m-light-5.html on page 5.

However I cant find a product that is tied to that marketing slide. Building your own, with said COBs or other full spectra ones, you could control the needed light. Maybe someone knows what those marketing slide Bridgeluxs are?

Last edited by Cyberlocc; 02-09-2020 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added Info.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdrc View Post

First the overall 3000-ish K they produce isn't very err pretty.
Second there is a lot of "too good to be true" in those lights..
What are "GREE led beads"?

Third some it seems do AC/DC conversion on the light panel that you hang over your tank.. Not optimal to me..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
First the overall 3000-ish K they produce isn't very err pretty.
Second there is a lot of "too good to be true" in those lights..

Third some it seems do AC/DC conversion on the light panel that you hang over your tank.. Not optimal to me..
The color temperature is a good point. Based on the upload videos by people who bought the light, it really doesn't seem that bad to me though. At least its way better than a typical grow light.

The LEDs seem OK I think. For one of the products, someone made a video where he measured the PAR of the light. He got 175 PAR at 12 inches and 360 PAR at 6 inches. Another person posted that they got 175 PAR at 18 inches. This seems really good compared to many aquarium fixtures (is PAR measured underwater for aquarium lights?). The best part was, both of the people who measured the PAR were disappointed with the results.

Two of the shown lights have AC/DC converters off the light. The other light actually seems quite bad, its the cheapest one too.

I'll probably get it and see how it is. I think they might actually work quite well. Now that marijuana is legal in many states in the US, growing plants indoors in high tech setups is no longer as niche. I wouldn't be surprised if the grow light industry had been absolutely exploding as of late. I'm no economist, but I would think this is pushing down the cost of plant lights.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 PM
Suspended

https://www.amazon.com/Relassy-Contr...1374976&sr=8-5

Cheap aquarium light.. bit blue on full
Controllable..

Cheap 3000K low CRI diodes on a fish tank..

Yea went through some of the review images and vids.. Really hard to tell what "shade" it's going to be..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-10-2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Could they have meant Cree? If so, they are, of course, very high quality LED's but, as I recall, Tropica has exclusive rights to Cree LED's when used in this market space. So, they may not have the correct wavelengths for our use.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Relassy-Contr...1374976&sr=8-5

Cheap aquarium light.. bit blue on full
Controllable..

Cheap 3000K low CRI diodes on a fish tank..

Yea went through some of the review images and vids.. Really hard to tell what "shade" it's going to be..
The 3000K does look rough on that tank. I can only hope that the extra 500K helps? The light you linked is probably better. The tank I'll be getting the light for is small (UNS 45S), and I'll be growing partially emersed plants in it. The size of these fixtures plus their cost and hanging ability makes this fixture potentially perfect for my desired set up. It's too nice an opportunity to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Could they have meant Cree? If so, they are, of course, very high quality LED's but, as I recall, Tropica has exclusive rights to Cree LED's when used in this market space. So, they may not have the correct wavelengths for our use.
Maybe they're knock-off Cree's? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I saw a lot of stuff like that when I was in Thailand, they just slightly change the name.
Deanna likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 4000k LED shop light I ran over a my low tech tank 40 breeder when I first started that tank. Even at 4000k the light was too yellow for my liking. 5000k seems to be a sweet spot for me. I took that tank high tech, and right now I am running two 6500k lights and the 4000k shoplight over that same tank and the result is a little blue for my personal taste but still much better then the 4000k alone.

I would not want to run a 3500k.

That said, there are cheap "grow" lights that will work fine for tanks if that's your thing. I am currently running a 10w SANSI bulb over my walstad and at 14" from substrate its a bit too much light to be honest. It would be fine if I was running co2 but its a walstad so no injected co2 in that tank. Linky to the bulb.

There are bigger versions available if lighting a larger tank.

That said... this is a 7" deep tank? I assume you are running co2? One of these, maybe one of the larger versions and a desk lamp will almost certainly work fine for you unless this tank is a custom made creature of huge size.

By way of illustration here are some pictures I just took.

Two 6500K Beamsworks FSPEC

Just the 4000k Shoplight:

And everything on:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by minorhero; 02-13-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added images
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
By way of illustration here are some pictures I just took.

Two 6500K Beamsworks FSPEC
Wait, do you have the 6500K or the FSPEC? I thought the FSPEC was 10000K. I知 still figuring out which one I値l be getting soon, and I keep going back and forth.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie425 View Post
Wait, do you have the 6500K or the FSPEC? I thought the FSPEC was 10000K. I知 still figuring out which one I値l be getting soon, and I keep going back and forth.
If interested I document the two of those LED lights pretty well in my journal. Link in the signature.

|

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie425 View Post
Ah you are right the blue lights in the beamswork is 10,000k. There are other lights in there as well, red and green. I think I remember reading somewhere that the combined total put it in the 6500k range. Or maybe I am making that up?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Ah you are right the blue lights in the beamswork is 10,000k. There are other lights in there as well, red and green. I think I remember reading somewhere that the combined total put it in the 6500k range. Or maybe I am making that up?
My seneye put the combined around 7,000K
minorhero likes this.

|

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've got one of the Amazon full spectrum LED 3700K grow-strip 24" modular lights coming.

The spectrum curve looks nice. Not sure about the yellowish color.

But then I used to run phosphored outer bulb, Mercury Vapor lamps over my 29 and 45 tall tanks, years back and the pinkish/blue shades were not too bad.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode