Finnex 24/7 CC on a 29g...high light or? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find a definitive answer but I keep reading conflicting information. Probably because par levels are variable, but maybe someone can help me figure out my setup?

I have a Finnex 24/7 Planted+ CC on my 29g tank. The par is supposed to be about 50 at substrate level on a 29g tank (not sure if that's through water or air though). I have 1 inch of substrate at the front and it slopes up towards the back to about 3 inches. I also have a glass top with the plastic strip in the middle of the glass panels that casts a shadow down the center of the tank.

My tank is moderately planted, probably leaning towards lightly planted (about 40-50% of the footprint is covered by plants when viewed from above). Mostly crypt spiralis, crypt wendtii, Brazilian Pennywort, bacopa caroliniana, ludwigia repens, one Amazon sword, and a couple of little crypt parvas.

It has been set up for just over a month and I'm getting a pretty massive diatom outbreak. I know that's normal, especially with substrate high in silica (I have pool filter sand). But I've also noticed what looks like blue green algae starting to grow on the surface of the sand. I have been stirring it around during water changes and it clumps together.

I have increased my daily dose of Excel (from 2 mL to 4mL) and lowered the intensity of my lights to about 50 percent. I also tested my nitrates and realized they are very low (about 5 ppm). Many of my plants have pale growth, and some of the Amazon sword leaves are twisting. I have been dosing PPS Pro except for nitrates because my well water already has about 5 ppm and I figured my fish would also add some. But I see that is not enough so I ordered some KNO3 that should arrive Monday.

I guess my main question is should I lower the light intensity even more? I have it on the custom 24/7 mode and left most settings alone except I lowered 12pm and 3pm white LEDs to about 50%, and turned off all LEDs at 12 am and 3 am. Not sure if I did it right, though, because one morning I went into my living room at 1:45 am and there was still a very low glow coming from the lights...

If anyone who has this light can help me figure out how to set it up for low/moderate light I would be grateful!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

(Edited to add: oh yeah, forgot I also have water wisteria in there, too)

Here is a screenshot my water parameters for anyone curious. And I forgot to mention, though it's probably obvious, I don't inject CO2.

Just noticed the picture quality is poor, so in case you can't read it:

2/6/20
pH 8.2
GH 22 degrees
KH 16 degrees
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 5 ppm
Phosphates 0.25 ppm

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-11-2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 AM

I'm no expert, but I run this light on my high tech 55g tank and get virtually no algae. The key is to adjust the preset cycle which is otherwise way too much light for way too long. It is guaranteed to grow lots of algae.

I would suggest you run 0% at 9pm through 6am. 10% white and red at 9am ( note ramp up will start around 630am). 50% all around at 12pm and 3pm. And finish off with 10% green and blue for nighttime lighting at the 6pm slot.

Keep in mind the balance you're trying to achieve between light, nutrients, and c02.
Since you are running low tech without c02, your light should be lower to match. Also, you have mostly low demanding plants from a lighting perspective. For nutrients, your water column is deficient in nitrates and phosphates (possibly potassium and micros as well) and your root feeders would benefit from root tabs.

Try reducing the light as mentioned, add root tabs, keep up with maintenance, and give it a few weeks.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a similar question to this thread:

I purchased and installed a 24/7 CC light almost exactly a year ago. I have a 55 gal freshwater heavily planted tank(with some fish). It also has a some CO2 diffused into it about 8 hours a day -- which I have used on the same tank with a prior high output T5 fluorescent setup for over 10 years (ran 8 hrs./day also) with great success. I bought the light in hopes to replicate that success with a more long-lived, reliable, newer technology.

It seems in the last 2 months I have been developing a green algae problem on the bottom gravel, bottom glass, and plants -- especially Java Moss. Many of the plants are not doing well because of the algae. I have tested the water, which seems to be almost perfect.

The reason that I am using this thread is regarding what you might recommend for customizing the the default presets for the 24/7 settings. The directions only mention how to adjust, not why you would do an adjustment and to what affect on the aquarium. Or, can you refer me to some tutorial that will help to do that?

I have thrown away a lot of my dead plants to try to correct the problem, but it seems that the algae is winning. FYI, I also have several algae eating fish in the tank and have recently put in a phosphate removing mat in my canister filter to see if that may help. I like the light, but I am feeling that the light (settings?) is the root of the problem since I never had this problem with the prior light setup on the tank.

I am hoping that you can help rescue my tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Is that the original 24/7? Or one of the newer customizable versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM

I don't know if it is the most recent or not, but it does have the adjustable W, G, R, & B buttons on the remote.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode