Could it be the lights - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could it be the lights

Hello,
I’ll try to keep this short. I had a 46g bow dirted tank. Awesome plant growth using one 36” finnex planted + for few years. Moved the tank and decided to upgrade to a 75g rimless. When I set this new tank up decided to ditch the dirt to try and get a crystal clear tank, I also upgrade lighting to a 48” finnex 24/7. That turned out to be complete disaster. Couldn’t get anything to grow but anubias and a pant load of algae. So, I recently broke that setup down and started over. Went back to the dirt but, I’m having the same troubles with plant growth. Brown tips on stem plants soon turning to black leaves and stems which eventually melt away. My question is, could it be the lighting? It’s really the only thing I have changed. I’m now running the 48” 24/7 set to run through its cycle and added the original 36” planted + for 10hrs per day to try and supplement any lighting deficiency. The new tank is about 20-21” from lighting to substrate. I really thought the dirt would be the answer but, now I’m thinking its the lighting. Any thoughts?

Plants include. Dwarf sag, bicopa, pennywort hydrocotyle, crypts, ludwigia narrow leaf, hygro, proserpinaca palustris and octopus plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnutz View Post
Hello,
I’ll try to keep this short. I had a 46g bow dirted tank. Awesome plant growth using one 36” finnex planted + for few years. Moved the tank and decided to upgrade to a 75g rimless. When I set this new tank up decided to ditch the dirt to try and get a crystal clear tank, I also upgrade lighting to a 48” finnex 24/7. That turned out to be complete disaster. Couldn’t get anything to grow but anubias and a pant load of algae. So, I recently broke that setup down and started over. Went back to the dirt but, I’m having the same troubles with plant growth. Brown tips on stem plants soon turning to black leaves and stems which eventually melt away. My question is, could it be the lighting? It’s really the only thing I have changed. I’m now running the 48” 24/7 set to run through its cycle and added the original 36” planted + for 10hrs per day to try and supplement any lighting deficiency. The new tank is about 20-21” from lighting to substrate. I really thought the dirt would be the answer but, now I’m thinking its the lighting. Any thoughts?

Plants include. Dwarf sag, bicopa, pennywort hydrocotyle, crypts, ludwigia narrow leaf, hygro, proserpinaca palustris and octopus plant.
More details are needed. Pictures would definitely be helpful as well as information on how old this new setup is and water parameters. Can light cause deficiencies? Sure but you already knew that. The issue here is what the plants all look like. You have a lot of easy growing species, if its been long enough for them to be established and they are all dying then something is very wrong. If just a few are dying.. well that kind of thing happens to everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been running 2 weeks. Expect some melting but this is all too much like my last attempt. PH 7.6, NH3 is 0.00, N03 40, P0 0.5 dkh 1 (17.9) calcium I don’t trust is anywhere between 100 to 400 ppm

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...ctureid=109391

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-08-2020 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode