Fluval - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval

Hey guys I’m going to be removing my prime hd marine from my tank and getting a fluval 3.0. Now my question is which one should I got with. The tank is about 20 inches wide. So should I get the nano or the 32watt? With the nano I’m scared the bracket clamp is way to small to fit around the biocubes trim in the back. And the 32 watt I don’t want spill over on the sides due to the light being 24 inches. I’d lay it on the trim but just don’t want 2 inches of lights hanging off each side of the tank. So what do you guys thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your tank is probably too narrow to fit a 24" Fluval Plant light unless you hang it or let it overlap the sides of your tank.

Please share a link for your tank details.

Can you fit a Plant 3.0 Nano on each side?

If your tank is rimmed, you can use a piece of glass or Lexan, and four felt pads per Nano. This is what I do for my 16 gallon bow front.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-07-2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Details
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for you tips here is the dimensions you wanted. Now will one light enough for the biocube? I’m on with buying one or the other but now we are looking at almost 200. Could I see a picture Of your ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88A935EE-A3FA-4EDB-B5BE-7114515B67F6_1581055783663.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	893007  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have links to all my tanks, photos, and videos in my signature.

You could probably use just one Nano on that tank. You could even mount it on the edge of your sump divider.

If you are on mobile, I could quote my signature in a post if you need.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebad395 View Post
Hey guys I’m going to be removing my prime hd marine from my tank and getting a fluval 3.0. Now my question is which one should I got with. The tank is about 20 inches wide. So should I get the nano or the 32watt? With the nano I’m scared the bracket clamp is way to small to fit around the biocubes trim in the back. And the 32 watt I don’t want spill over on the sides due to the light being 24 inches. I’d lay it on the trim but just don’t want 2 inches of lights hanging off each side of the tank. So what do you guys thing?

Out of curiosity.. why remove the AI?
I know sw version but you have channels and power to spare..
There have been prev discussions of using this light for fw and I don't have a good picture of why it can't be used though much would be based on look..
Using just the photo red/green/ and cool white channel should be fairly good look for planted tank

Adding a smidge of reg blue to "taste"..

Your output should be roughly equal to a Nano..7/16 @50W =20W ish..
Rough Theoretical.. corrected to 3W diodes and blue adj to hit 94CRI..red substituted for photo red.
Quote:
* MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
Cree XT-E CoolWhite (5000-8300K) [120°] x12
Cree XP-E Blue (465-485nm) [120°] x2
Cree XP-E Green (520-535nm) [120°] x3
Cree XP-E Red (620-630nm) [120°] x3

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 2,254 lm
Radiant flux : 7,907 mW
PPF : 35.2 umol/s
TCP : 6990 K
CRI : 94
λp : 447 nm
Color : #F7E6FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 30cm
Irradiance : 9.3 W/mē/s
Illuminance : 2,658 lx
PPFD : 41.5 umol/mē/s

by SPECTRA 1.0β @ 1.023world
http://spectra.1023world.net/
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't have a 3.0 here at work but do have a 2.0 running, which has a very similar profile. It measures 23.5" before the legs start. I also have a 29 gallon biocube here, which measures 20" across and 18" inside the lighting compartment of the molded hood. I don't see any way you could use a 24" unit and keep your top. Mine is a power compact model Biocube though so there could be differences.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I don't have a 3.0 here at work but do have a 2.0 running, which has a very similar profile. It measures 23.5" before the legs start. I also have a 29 gallon biocube here, which measures 20" across and 18" inside the lighting compartment of the molded hood. I don't see any way you could use a 24" unit and keep your top. Mine is a power compact model Biocube though so there could be differences.
Mine is the same exactly but I took my top off years ago when it was a saltwater tank

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Light to substrate is about 36"..
ALL diodes on at 24" light to substrate 59w on full:

That's what your shooting for.. I see you must have fairly high tannin content in the tank

Point is the light seems to be able to work fine for fw..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-08-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode