Which beamworks light for planted 75 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which beamworks light for planted 75 gallon?

Hi all,

We're upgrading our 55 to a 75 gallon tank in the next 1-2 months and definitely want to upgrade the lights, but there are so many models out there. Right now, we have a 36" Fluval eco bright LED fixture (13588) as well as two 21" submersible LED strips that I think are Marineland's Hidden LED Lighting System on our 55. I don't think that'll be sufficient for the 75 gallon tank, especially since the lights already don't reach the corners of our 55. The plan is to be low tech and I'm guessing medium light for now. Eventually we want to add CO2 (in the next year or so, pending budget), and may increase the lighting to high at that point.

My current thought is to get a 48" beamworks light and supplement with our old lights as needed. If we go with beamworks, would you recommend the 0.5W DA FPSEC or the DA 6500K? In the past I know people also recommended the DHL 6500K, but I can't find the 48" version. I'm also open to other brands, just hoping to stay ~$100 or less if possible.

Current plants include lots of Anubias nana, one larger Anubias barteri, Amazon swords, one Crypt wendtii, Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius, and one val. The last four are recent additions - still seeing how they take to our current tank. I'd guess the tank is medium planted at the moment, though I'd love to eventually make it heavy planted and try other species once we've added CO2.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie425 View Post
Hi all,

We're upgrading our 55 to a 75 gallon tank in the next 1-2 months and definitely want to upgrade the lights, but there are so many models out there. Right now, we have a 36" Fluval eco bright LED fixture (13588) as well as two 21" submersible LED strips that I think are Marineland's Hidden LED Lighting System on our 55. I don't think that'll be sufficient for the 75 gallon tank, especially since the lights already don't reach the corners of our 55. The plan is to be low tech and I'm guessing medium light for now. Eventually we want to add CO2 (in the next year or so, pending budget), and may increase the lighting to high at that point.

My current thought is to get a 48" beamworks light and supplement with our old lights as needed. If we go with beamworks, would you recommend the 0.5W DA FPSEC or the DA 6500K? In the past I know people also recommended the DHL 6500K, but I can't find the 48" version. I'm also open to other brands, just hoping to stay ~$100 or less if possible.
Seconded on this thread. I'm also upgrading from a 55 to a 75.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get the Beamworks 1 watt 48inch . Amazon says it is unavailable , but someone must have it . Pair that with a Nicrew ramp timer and you are good to go .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

I have the Beamswork 48" Penta 6500K on my 55G, and it grows my Anubias, Crypts, Vals, and even My Red Melon Sword with no issues. You can probably double them up to get high light out of them.

The Green Stuff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:17 PM
Algae Grower

Super fan of the DA Fspec, the EAs arent as nice imo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode