Lighting on a 65 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting on a 65 gallon tank

Hey there, I got a 65-gallon tank a while ago and it's cycled, but it's still growing diatoms like crazy? I can clean it and they will be back in a couple of days it's pretty crazy, this tank is really tall, taller than ones I've had in the past so I wonder if it's some sort of lighting issue, I've looked around and the light I got with it looks like a 36" version of this light https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatic-Aquari...ef_=ast_bbp_dp what do you guys typically do with deep tanks like this lighting wise? The light is 26" from the bottom. I tried running longer hours 10 with a mix of high/low light settings, now I'm doing 8 hours of the low light setting, but still, the diatoms are flourishing. The next step is all high light for 8 hours I guess. The tank is a bare bottom and I have a couple of medium-sized anubias barteri in there attached to a couple of pieces of wood, don't seem to get any growth on them, I'm just dosing flourish btw. Just curious what any of you have to say about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:58 PM

I am no expert but I can speak to my own similar experience for what it's worth.

I had a significant diatom problem which was continuing 3 months after my tank had been fully cycled (90 gallon). I read that they usually burn themselves out a few weeks after the tank is cycled. So I switched from a Fluval 3.0 plant light to UNS Titan 1, which is a much brighter light with a more ideal spectrum, and the diatoms disappeared almost overnight. If you want to purchase a new light I would suggest checking around the forums and see what people recommend for popular lights. Though I do know that anubias doesn't need much light to thrive so it may not be worth it.

You may be able to get more advice from others if you post the following: how long has your tank been cycled for? Current ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings, specifics of the light you have (incl. spectrograph)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM
Suspended

If it's truly diatoms you just have too much free Silicates.
https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping...ae_brown-algae

Commonly found silicate removers also remove phosphorous.. except one..
Not sure of the real effectiveness..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode