2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Suspended

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberlocc View Post
That one complicates things though lol.

I just seen this one, I asked the company, but I know you are well versed in how the TC operates, so maybe you could make heads or tails from these guys.

https://www.powerswitchtail.com/powerssr-tail

I like that close in the AC line, and make wiring simple lol. Im just not sure how they could or would work in tandem with a TC420.

AC is opto-isolated from the control circuit..

Now technically the TC only has "5v pwm control wire (0 or 5V DC +) wire out..so you just need a "ground" from the tc..any neg DC tc power supply point AFAICT..

TC-420 is really just an "Aduino" w/ added MOSFETS for switching..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
AC is opto-isolated from the control circuit..

Now technically the TC only has "5v pwm control wire (0 or 5V DC +) wire out..so you just need a "ground" from the tc..any neg DC tc power supply point AFAICT..

TC-420 is really just an "Aduino" w/ added MOSFETS for switching..

https://youtu.be/Ug4YE4k0CRM
Isn't the TC main outlets PWM though? That Boxed version I linked you can use 12v, and I believe they stated ground is optional.
So my thoughts (and I did write them and ask) was just use TC +, and TC -, to the appropriate connectors on the device.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Isn't the TC main outlets PWM though? That Boxed version I linked you can use 12v, and I believe they stated ground is optional.
So my thoughts (and I did write them and ask) was just use TC +, and TC -, to the appropriate connectors on the device.

so is Aduinos.. and the like.. All the same..
Common PWM voltages.. 3.3V 5V 10V..

Technically one can just hook a 12V (9-24) ps to the tc and use it's normal outputs..

PROBLEM is sometimes one gets issues w/ the fact that you are pulsing the negative side.. May or may not matter.. depends on the circuitry..
See the TC output is err reversed in normal mode.
Also since it doesn't function well below about 9 v you can't hook a LDD to the unit "as is"..since 9v is too much for them.
Well not exact specs here but I do know you have a limit since the voltage regulator in the TC is for 5V and believe requires a differential as is commom .. so 5 plus X volts is the TC powering limit..
Assume 9

SO YES it "may" work fine.. it may not..
Using the 5V plus tap will work since they are designed for it..

my history w/ this is that the orig Typhon controller had a 10V PWM tap.. much like you are picturing w/ the TC. Did not dim Meanwell 10V PWM drivers.
Why ?????? but I was told the o-scope trace was err funny..was reversed like the TC would be common anode.

So... YMMV.. like I said may work fine..
Cyberlocc likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
so is Aduinos.. and the like.. All the same..
Common PWM voltages.. 3.3V 5V 10V..

Technically one can just hook a 12V (9-24) ps to the tc and use it's normal outputs..

PROBLEM is sometimes one gets issues w/ the fact that you are pulsing the negative side.. May or may not matter.. depends on the circuitry..
See the TC output is err reversed in normal mode.
Also since it doesn't function well below about 9 v you can't hook a LDD to the unit "as is"..since 9v is too much for them.
Well not exact specs here but I do know you have a limit since the voltage regulator in the TC is for 5V and believe requires a differential as is commom .. so 5 plus X volts is the TC powering limit..
Assume 9

SO YES it "may" work fine.. it may not..
Using the 5V plus tap will work since they are designed for it..

my history w/ this is that the orig Typhon controller had a 10V PWM tap.. much like you are picturing w/ the TC. Did not dim Meanwell 10V PWM drivers.
Why ?????? but I was told the o-scope trace was err funny..was reversed like the TC would be common anode.

So... YMMV.. like I said may work fine..
Got it , reached out to the company of that strip, and asked if it would work with a TC 420, and described to them what we were working with. If that works, it would be HUGE for reptile keepers, and lowland vivariums.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:15 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Got it , reached out to the company of that strip, and asked if it would work with a TC 420, and described to them what we were working with. If that works, it would be HUGE for reptile keepers, and lowland vivariums.
They were all listed as a "retired" product..so I'm a bit confused..

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
They were all listed as a "retired" product..so I'm a bit confused..
Sorry ya wrong link, they have their site setup weird.

https://www.powerswitchtail.com/powerssr-tail The ones in this list, are not "retired". This is the one I was looking at.

Also the Youtube Video one, got back to me.

"Would this work with a 5v pwm signal from a TC420 led controller?"

"Hi! If pwm signal from TC420 controller is logic level 5.0V and frequency <10kHz, YES can be controlled."

I'm not positive about the answer to those, maybe you can shed more light? I think both counts are yes, but I am not positive.

Last edited by Cyberlocc; 02-08-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Sorry ya wrong link, they have their site setup weird.

https://www.powerswitchtail.com/powerssr-tail The ones in this list, are not "retired". This is the one I was looking at.

Also the Youtube Video one, got back to me.

"Would this work with a 5v pwm signal from a TC420 led controller?"

"Hi! If pwm signal from TC420 controller is logic level 5.0V and frequency <10kHz, YES can be controlled."

I'm not positive about the answer to those, maybe you can shed more light? I think both counts are yes, but I am not positive.
TC 420 is yes 5V "logic" level and 500Hz-ish (def <10KHz)
Cyberlocc likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode