Help choosing a medium tech light for 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help choosing a medium tech light for 10g

Im looking for some recommendations for a light for a Waterbox clear 10g tank (19.68◊9.84◊11.81″). Im planning on starting of medium tech and eventually moving into high tech down the road. To start no co2 just dosing and some easy and medium difficulty plants.

Im really looking for something thats aesthetically pleasing. Im going for a very clean and minimalistic look. Looks that come to mind are twinstar and ai prime.

Id like to keep the budget around $125. I can get the twinstar 450ea for a bit more but would need to also get a controller. Alot of people recommend a finnex or similar for this type of setup but I just find them so ugly.

Any recommendations are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is this a rimless tank? If so, I would suggest two Fluval Plant 3.0 Nanos. I am totally biased with my suggestion because of the app control.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Is this a rimless tank? If so, I would suggest two Fluval Plant 3.0 Nanos. I am totally biased with my suggestion because of the app control.

Yes rimless. Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I should also add that none of my tanks fit the 24" minimum width for the long Fluval 3.0 lights, or many of the other long-light choices.

For more narrow tanks, the Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano fits, but only on rimless tanks, or Betta tanks where you can mount on glass dividers and not the plastic rims. I have tanks with one, tanks with two, and I have tried tanks with three, but three was too many.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-15-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Details
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I had looked at the 3.0 and noticed they didn't have anything under 24"...wasn't aware of the nano tho. I feel a singe wouldn't be enough for what I'd like to do and 2 would look bulky and would be over my budget. At that price I'd probably be more inclined to get the AI.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Chihiros-Aqua...D7WT20CWXD6T17
w/ controller .. $136..

Oddly new model on flea bay has "commander" built in but costs (WGRB2 45(cm)) $149 w/ free shipping from China.
Note approaching Chinese New Year so shipping usually slows down.

2 Nanos $180.. they are pretty tiny.. Wouldn't really consider them bulky..

Step up is 1 AI Prime for $210 plus mounts if wanted.

All estimates or rounded a bit and not inc. shipping..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode