TC420 Controlling Meanwell LDDs, of multiple fixtures. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
TC420 Controlling Meanwell LDDs, of multiple fixtures.

Hey I had an odd question of using the TC420 to control Meanwell LDDs to control multiple fixtures.

So I have seen this, https://www.tc420.net/connecting-hig...-the-TC420.php and I question something he states, and then doesn't go into detail about at all....

"This is very true. If you're using a power supply between 12 and 24 volts, you don't need to worry about this section. However, if you're using a power supply above 24 volts, something needs to be done so that the TC420 doesn't end up getting fried. There are 2 options that have been considered. The first is using a separate 12v power supply to power the TC420, however, you would need to join the negative connection the that of the 36v power supply to merge the 2 otherwise separate circuits. I don't like this solution, it's not very neat and you need another power supply. My preferred solution is to use a buck converter to reduce the power of the 36v power supply to 12v and power the TC420. This is a neat solution where you only have 1 circuit and power supply."

Well okay, but I dont like the idea of a buck converter :P. I dont like my Current Power Supply for my 2 fixtures on 1 tank, and want them to have separate fanless ones as well. On top of, soon having more tanks to hook up, and dont want a ton of tc420s all over the place.

So my question is this, "The first is using a separate 12v power supply to power the TC420, however, you would need to join the negative connection the that of the 36v power supply to merge the 2 otherwise separate circuits."

1. If you do this, how much power is applied over that line, so I plan to use 3.5mm 4 pole headphone cables to run my signals to the PWM modded TC420, I have 4 channels, but 2 of them are CW anyway, so I can drop that to 3 channels easy enough. Can I join their grounds, with one of those wires? It will likely be like a 24 or 26 wire. I know the storm does this, with small gauge wires, and this guy is making this sound hard, when its literally how all the pwm controllers work isn't it?

2. Can I do this with multiple power supplys.

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but I dont want to blow anything up, and my search for reassurance on google, is saying to make sure the negative leads that are tied can handle all of the output of both of the power supplies, but thats not how the storm works is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

1- If I understand you correctly you are worried about the current draw of the TC. I never measured it but going from my recollections of others, nothing special.
1A at the most. Not sure of the 421 since it needs more power for the wireless.

Without measuring it but considering it is basically an Aduino you can do a fair guesstimate.
The 5V PWM circuit is in the ma range.

Best to draw a rough sketch.

TC-420 draws less than .5W per this sheet, 42mA @ 12 V:
https://www.lemona.ee/LIUSE/Pdf/LED-TC420.pdf

421 <1W
http://www.ledlightinghut.com/files/TC421.pdf

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-15-2020 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
1- If I understand you correctly you are worried about the current draw of the TC. I never measured it but going from my recollections of others, nothing special.
1A at the most. Not sure of the 421 since it needs more power for the wireless.

Without measuring it but considering it is basically an Aduino you can do a fair guesstimate.
The 5V PWM circuit is in the ma range.

Best to draw a rough sketch.
The Grey Wires are my concern, the DC - between the SE350, and the TC420. They make a pitstop between the LDD-H-4S. There will also be 2 or more LDD-H-4S in the circuit, but I only show 1.

Someone said in a thread on my looking into this, that the small grey wire, the one that connects them, from the LDD board to the TC420, needs to be capable of carrying all the current of bother Power Supplys. Well, I dont see how the storm/storm x, Bluefish, ect work then.

Those also need to share a common ground, and they do so with thin cables, the Bluefish does so with the very same 3.5mm connections I aim to use. Albeit it does it with 3 pole connections not 4 pole, however I may make the same swicth (2 3 poles per fixture)

Edit: Basically I am wiring one these, without using one of these.

https://www.stevesleds.com/DIY-Break...sh-_p_263.html

However people are saying on other forums, that is not safe. (not too me, just in general)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TC420 High Power LED.png
Views:	4
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	891809  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-15-2020 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

If i am i understanding you correct, you are trying to connect your controller like I did.
I have a DIY controller, but it looks to be very similar to the TC420.
As you see from the controller picture, this is powered by a common 12V wall wart. From what I can see, you can power your TC420 with the same.

My controller has common negative (single black wire on top header). The TC420 has a common positive. I am not sure if the LDD-H-4S cares about polarity. If not, you should be able to connect it as mine (tested and works). If you look at the "high voltage" terminals, you can see the thin black wire going from the controller to the same terminal as the negative from the meanwell. You should of course connect to the positive terminal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by torhav View Post
If i am i understanding you correct, you are trying to connect your controller like I did.
I have a DIY controller, but it looks to be very similar to the TC420.
As you see from the controller picture, this is powered by a common 12V wall wart. From what I can see, you can power your TC420 with the same.

My controller has common negative (single black wire on top header). The TC420 has a common positive. I am not sure if the LDD-H-4S cares about polarity. If not, you should be able to connect it as mine (tested and works). If you look at the "high voltage" terminals, you can see the thin black wire going from the controller to the same terminal as the negative from the meanwell. You should of course connect to the positive terminal.
Thanks that answers my question

Also the TC420 only has a common positive it your using the voltage control aspect. If you are soldering to the PWM gate to control meanwells with it like I am, then you need a common negative I believe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode