Boosting Iridescent Fish Color - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have altum angels with an iridescent blue coloration. The blue is only visible when the light hits the fish just right. Is there a method of lighting that will produce this effect more consistently over more of the tank? Right now I have 2 rows of light with fluval 2.0 in the front and finnex 24/7 in the back. Would t5 increase or reduce this effect?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
I have altum angels with an iridescent blue coloration. The blue is only visible when the light hits the fish just right. Is there a method of lighting that will produce this effect more consistently over more of the tank? Right now I have 2 rows of light with fluval 2.0 in the front and finnex 24/7 in the back.
I dont have a suggestion, but I would love to see a picture of your Altums if possible.
I have 4 myself, they are sub-adults and still actively growing.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is the tank. The middle fish shows the blue color a bit. These are a little under 2 yo. I just measured last week and the largest is about 12" tall and 7" from the mouth to the back center of the tail, not including streamers. Tank is a 180 with a 75 sump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_152946_1574627806675.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	889983  

Botia dude, Edward, Greggz and 7 others like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here is the tank. The middle fish shows the blue color a bit. These are a little under 2 yo. I just measured last week and the largest is about 12" tall and 7" from the mouth to the back center of the tail, not including streamers. Tank is a 180 with a 75 sump.
Oh wow! Arent they gorgeous! They have really filled out nice and have beautiful markings. Looks like 7 in there?

I have mine in a 180 as well, I would like to get about 3 more to complete the group.

Did you raise yours from juveniles, sub-adults or buy as adults?

Where did you get them?
Sorry all the questions. I just dont often find others that have them.

The tank is set up very nicely. Really like the background and plant choices.

@jeffkrol may be able to help you with lighting.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Did you raise yours from juveniles, sub-adults or buy as adults?

Where did you get them?
@jeffkrol may be able to help you with lighting.
Thanks. I raised them from around quarter size. Initially bought 8 and one was a runt and after 6 months of not growing died. They were Simon Forkel F1 whatever "O" river is, orinoco or something. They were bought from AngelfishUSA. They are a little shy of 2yo now.
Discusluv likes this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks. I raised them from around quarter size. Initially bought 8 and one was a runt and after 6 months of not growing died. They were Simon Forkel F1 whatever "O" river is, orinoco or something. They were bought from AngelfishUSA. They are a little shy of 2yo now.
Oh, okay!
You have done an excellent job of growing them out
Edward likes this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Is there a method of lighting that will produce this effect more consistently over more of the tank?
50/50 lighting really makes iridescent blues glow. The 50/50 refers to 50% white usually a 10,000K, and 50% actinic blue usually 420nm. Coralife made good power compact fluorescents back when I was in the African cichlid game looking for the glow. The downside for me, with planted tanks, is this spectrum looks weird on plants. I prefer "warmer" light now.

Can you up the blue on your 2.0? That should help, or adding a blue strip to what you have should bring out the iridescent glow without making the entire tank look too "cold".

T5 Actinic would def increase effect. It's like a blacklight for fish
Discusluv likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This isnít an answer to your question but i just wanted to say those fish are beautiful and the aquascape you have designed for them seems perfect, which means you are the caretaker now for this beautiful world you created. I say this with great respect all the best, john

PS: please consider posting more images of this tank in the future.
Edward and Discusluv like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have altum angels with an iridescent blue coloration. The blue is only visible when the light hits the fish just right. Is there a method of lighting that will produce this effect more consistently over more of the tank? Right now I have 2 rows of light with fluval 2.0 in the front and finnex 24/7 in the back. Would t5 increase or reduce this effect?

hmm. Blue pop is usually somewhat a forte of LED's

One thing to keep in mind is overwhelming the tank w/ light isn't going to make things better..
You have plenty of control to change tone..

Marble Angel isn't "technically" blueish to that extent..but a sort of example..

also noticed it seems like a lot of your light is being "filtered" through the plants on the surface.
that will filter a lot of blue/red out..
The Angel in the "sun" looks quite blue in that photo..
Discusluv likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-25-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those Altum's are magnificent fish.

And they are very well presented in that aquarium.

Well done!!

---
---
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't have anything to add for lighting, but the tank is simply wonderful!

Fantastic work!

|

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Only thing that could help is a light box/canopy over tank, inside painted white. Basically takes all that light you see reflecting off water and lighting ceiling above and around tank and redirects it back into tank as kind of a soft fill flash. Think of it way photographers use a a soft reflector to fill in shadows.

You can just go by some white foam core and prototype a canopy, tape it together and see if it helps. Itís a very subtle light. Where it will help most is out along outer edges, especially along front where fish will now be getting a soft light hitting them from front/above where led lights are currently are only hitting fish from rear.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Only thing that could help is a light box/canopy over tank, inside painted white. Basically takes all that light you see reflecting off water and lighting ceiling above and around tank and redirects it back into tank as kind of a soft fill flash. Think of it way photographers use a a soft reflector to fill in shadows.

You can just go by some white foam core and prototype a canopy, tape it together and see if it helps. Itís a very subtle light. Where it will help most is out along outer edges, especially along front where fish will now be getting a soft light hitting them from front/above where led lights are currently are only hitting fish from rear.

That may help.. but technically the fish are lite from the front by the reflections off the glass..
If the LED is properly placed and if all diodes are the usual 120 degrees.. little light really spills out of the column..
Glass is similar if not at the critical angle to "escape"..
https://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/critical-angle

Tanks sort of "trap" light. You'd probably have to put an external light (like the flashlight below) to push more light into the front..
Grobbins48 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
That may help.. but technically the fish are lite from the front by the reflections off the glass..
If the LED is properly placed and if all diodes are the usual 120 degrees.. little light really spills out of the column..
Glass is similar if not at the critical angle to "escape"..
https://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/critical-angle

Tanks sort of "trap" light. You'd probably have to put an external light (like the flashlight below) to push more light into the front..
Light box is more about capturing light reflecting off surface of water and directing it back into tank. When you walk up to tank you see reflection of lights coming off surface of water, the white box directs that light back down into tank from all angles. Might be minimal advantage to him because good portion of his tank already has surface growth.

The light reflecting off glass is true, but only at certain angle, at top portion of tank glass most the light just goes through the glass. I studied that effect back in 90ís using a inspection mirror.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The cold ADA lighting spectrum makes iridescence pop. As does really strong point source lighting (like kessil).

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode