300 Gallon Lighting Advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
300 Gallon Lighting Advice

First of all, I’m new to this forum and look forward to spending some time with you guys. Thank you...

I am wanting to set up a new large tank and found a 300 gallon tall that caught my eye. I would like to do a natural planted tank but this one is 31” deep. Even with 3” of substrate, it will be 28” deep through the water column. I was looking at the fluval 3.0s, but worried that a double row still may not be bring hot enough for plants. Any advice is appreciated.

I’m looking for something i can put under a canopy and be easy to control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Need to know a bit more info..
Like length and width (have depth)..

also the point where you go "I costs HOW MUCH!!!!"

If you are handy and since you don't need to worry about looks.. suggests DIY..

200gal tank.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
If you are handy and since you don't need to worry about looks.. suggests DIY..
DIY hidden in the canopy could work well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am always a fan of DIY in a DIY canopy. Though my DIYs are never as fancy as Jeff's.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Would also be nice to know what type plants you plan to keep. High light and CO2 or low tech with med light plants like java fern, anubias, giant Hygro, swords etc.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

The tank dimensions are 96” x 24” x 31” tall

I will be running co2 and don’t mind diy in the canopy. What should i look at?

I would like to not limit myself to the type of plants i can use.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikitB8 View Post

I will be running co2 and don’t mind diy in the canopy. What should i look at?

I would like to not limit myself to the type of plants i can use.
I had a 280 gallon (72Lx24Dx37T) that I had set up for low light plants. I wired together cheap lamp holders onto a 1 by 5 that sat in a recess in a simple canopy. I used regular dimmable A19 screw in LED bulbs (daylight, 100W equiv) with the diffusers removed and wired that to a smart dimmer switch in the stand. I ran a cord from the dimmer to the wall outlet. It ended up being overkill and I got a ton of green spot algae if I ran the lights over 30%. Its a pretty simple and inexpensive DIY that almost anyone can do. I'd like to do a proper DIY LED build in the future, but haven't had the time to wade through it.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikitB8 View Post
I just acquired an acrylic tank of the same size this summer. However I'm going to keep it very low tech. Publish a journal, I'd love to see how yours ends up!

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I wired together cheap lamp holders onto a 1 by 5 that sat in a recess in a simple canopy. I used regular dimmable A19 screw in LED bulbs (daylight, 100W equiv) with the diffusers removed and wired that to a smart dimmer switch in the stand. I ran a cord from the dimmer to the wall outlet. It ended up being overkill and I got a ton of green spot algae if I ran the lights over 30%.
Sorry, I am slow. How many A19 bulbs have you had over the 280 gallon aquarium and why did you remove the lenses?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Sorry, I am slow. How many A19 bulbs have you had over the 280 gallon aquarium and why did you remove the lenses?
You're not slow, I missed details. I put 12 bulbs over the tank. I removed the diffusers because I had read that you get around twice the lumens by doing so and it decreased the vertical height by a couple of inches. Also, it looked cooler.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I see, so you installed 12 A19 bulbs over 72” aquarium, about 6” apart, cups removed. The 100 Watts equivalent is 14 Watts LED, for Phillips in this example. So you had total of 168 Watts LEDs spread over 280 gallon, 72” x 24” x 37” height. That’s not bad, but the problem is the beam angle. These LEDs have usually 120 degree beam, you need 45 or less degrees to beam the light down to the 37” depth.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I see, so you installed 12 A19 bulbs over 72” aquarium, about 6” apart, cups removed. The 100 Watts equivalent is 14 Watts LED, for Phillips in this example. So you had total of 168 Watts LEDs spread over 280 gallon, 72” x 24” x 37” height. That’s not bad, but the problem is the beam angle. These LEDs have usually 120 degree beam, you need 45 or less degrees to beam the light down to the 37” depth.
Yeah the beam angle was a problem. The green spot algae I got was primarily on the front. I had to relocate for work and sold the set up before I had a chance to figure out a good reflector setup.

These are the bulbs that I used.

EcoSmart100-Watt Equivalent A19 Dimmable Energy Star LED Light Bulb Daylight (2-Pack)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart...SD06/303574533

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-20-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Slapping 45 degrees lens on 120 degree LEDs increases light intensity 2.5 times. Still, interesting concept, how many LED chips did you find under the cups?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Slapping 45 degrees lens on 120 degree LEDs increases light intensity 2.5 times. Still, interesting concept, how many LED chips did you find under the cups?
I don't remember. I have another setup over a 37 column that I can check out when I get home this weekend.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Adding 60 degree lens to 120 degree LED will increase intensity 3.6 x, and adding 45 to 120 will increase intensity 6 x. The lens angle choice depends on mounting height.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode