Fluval Smart app help - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
Fluval Smart app help

I got two these lights today in 24" today and put them on the same tank. Getting ahead of myself, I was already worried if it would be an issue running more than one unit, whether it is even worth it to install the app since I'm getting a new phone very soon, and so many things but I can't even get past step one. I downloaded the app via the Apple App Store and the download went fine. When I open it though, it just hangs at "searching for IP address." My phone isn't on airplane mode, I don't run a VPN, everything is pretty open. It also requests a password which is odd because I was never prompted to set one after installation so there is no password. Any of you Fluval owners recall the setup process or could help me out?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
They should connect via Bluetooth not an IP address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im on android so may be different but agree its a blue tooth connection on mine. Was really easy to connect and no password required.

I would try uninstalling it, restarting phone, reinstalling it and see what happens. Not sure how the store works for iphones but make sure its the legit version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I tried uninstalling the app and restarting the phone but get the same error. I almost took one of the lights to work with me today and wish I had now. Without a light here to connect to, I don't think there's going to be any headway until I get back home. From reading Hagen's PDF it seems the password only has to be entered once and the default is "000000." Just in case anyone else runs into this issue. Hopefully this evening I can make some progress.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 11-14-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: a word
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try entering the "password" you have set for the phone. Are you able to post any screen shots?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I tried uninstalling the app and restarting the phone but get the same error. I almost took one of the lights to work with me today and wish I had now. Without a light here to connect to, I don't think there's going to be any headway until I get back home. From reading Hagen's PDF it seems the password only has to be entered once and the default is "000000." Just in case anyone else runs into this issue. Hopefully this evening I can make some headway.

Go into your phones bluetooth settings.
Password is usually set there when you enable it for the lights..

May not need this step but it's good to verify that the bt is "seen" and bt is turned on.

Usually it's like 1234 or 0000......................
Shows the 000000 password in the new software.
Make sure you downloaded the correct version

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-14-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: edit for snark
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, I'm feeling like my Mom must have when I'd try to show her how to use new remote controls! Took some screenshots to hopefully make more sense of this. Here's what I see when I open the app:

After a minute it gives me this notification:

My WiFi is on:

Here's all I see under bluetooth settings:

Without having the light itself here, I'm not sure that it's going to pair but surely I can at least get off of the login page.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might be using the older app for the 2.0s. Make sure you use this one:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fluvalsmart/id1179249357

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Thank you, that fixed it! Odd that the old app would be the default in the play store, but I went to your link and it seems to be loading correctly now. Just need to get home and in range of the lights and looks like I'll be cooking with fire. Thank you so much, everyone who helped and I especially owe you one, @Streetwise!
Econde, varanidguy and DaveKS like this.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool! BTW, some tips on using the app:

It is easier to manipulate the values when adding points than editing existing points, so you might just want to start from zero in the Pro mode.

You can save multiple profiles. It has an Export button, but it really should be called import, since it lets you take a saved profile and apply it to a light. This is how you can copy profiles between different lights.

When you do the firmware update, be patient and don't click the upgrade more than once, or you will have to jump thru some hoops to get the light going again if you interrupt the update. If that does happen, there are some threads on what to do, but the short version is there is a secret option you get from swiping left (I think) on a light in the list, with an extra update option. I went thru this last week, and I think I had to go in that way with the light off, then power it on, then I was able to re-do the update.

It has a preview mode, where it will run thru your whole schedule in maybe 30 seconds or a minute.

When you get everything running, I'd love to see you or anyone try a dual siesta routine so I can compare notes. It lets me enjoy my tanks from 07:00 to 23:00 without using too much light. My last two hours are just 1% blue for a nightlight before dark. I posted details in another thread.

When you are doing photography, you can just switch to manual and pump everything up. Then you can switch back to Pro and resume your schedule. You might even be able to do that with the button on your model, but I'm not sure, since my Nanos don't have a button. Never mind, the button is for On/Off/Blue.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Very interested in finding some other's lighting profiles. Might just copy one if I find something that looks like what I'm after. Had considered a siesta, never occurred to me to have two though. Good point also about bringing the lights to 100% for photography.
varanidguy likes this.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I list the time periods in this post:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...l#post11275837

And here is a screenshot:

I wish I had a few more points available so I could stay at peak longer. That is the disadvantage of two siestas, but it is still worth it for me to wake up with the tanks, and get to enjoy them after work until I go to bed.

I am still playing with the color balance a little bit so that morning is a little bit different than midday, which is then different from late afternoon/evening.

I'm looking forward to trading some notes!

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, lights are working on the app. I basically imported the planted tank version, added a siesta, and made the morning and nightfall settings way later. Tried tinkering for 2 siestas but there are only 10 points and if you move one wrong, they all go out of whack. And I had to set both manually to be pretty close to one another. I'll mess around with it some more for a while I settle on anything. I was hoping you could just import other's schedules but not thinking that's possible now. At 100% on all colors I'd be far less fond of these. You can make some really appealing sunset looks with the red and blues turned up. The "preview" is genius too. Very excited to learn my way around this.
Econde likes this.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice. I assume the firmware update went fine?

It would be cool to share with others, but right now it is just you sharing with your other lights.

With just two siestas, you could do two sustained peaks. You would still have some points left to do a bit of sleepy-time blue if you wanted.

With two lights on one tank, you could also get clever with overlapping light schedules that are slightly different.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here are what I have my setpoints at. I apologize for the quality of the pic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode