The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Smart app help

16K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  Streetwise 
#1 ·
I got two these lights today in 24" today and put them on the same tank. Getting ahead of myself, I was already worried if it would be an issue running more than one unit, whether it is even worth it to install the app since I'm getting a new phone very soon, and so many things but I can't even get past step one. I downloaded the app via the Apple App Store and the download went fine. When I open it though, it just hangs at "searching for IP address." My phone isn't on airplane mode, I don't run a VPN, everything is pretty open. It also requests a password which is odd because I was never prompted to set one after installation so there is no password. Any of you Fluval owners recall the setup process or could help me out?

#4 · (Edited)
I tried uninstalling the app and restarting the phone but get the same error. I almost took one of the lights to work with me today and wish I had now. Without a light here to connect to, I don't think there's going to be any headway until I get back home. From reading Hagen's PDF it seems the password only has to be entered once and the default is "000000." Just in case anyone else runs into this issue. Hopefully this evening I can make some progress.

#6 · (Edited)
I tried uninstalling the app and restarting the phone but get the same error. I almost took one of the lights to work with me today and wish I had now. Without a light here to connect to, I don't think there's going to be any headway until I get back home. From reading Hagen's PDF it seems the password only has to be entered once and the default is "000000." Just in case anyone else runs into this issue. Hopefully this evening I can make some headway.

Go into your phones bluetooth settings.
Password is usually set there when you enable it for the lights..

May not need this step but it's good to verify that the bt is "seen" and bt is turned on.

Usually it's like 1234 or 0000......................
Shows the 000000 password in the new software.
Make sure you downloaded the correct version

#7 ·
Well, I'm feeling like my Mom must have when I'd try to show her how to use new remote controls! Took some screenshots to hopefully make more sense of this. Here's what I see when I open the app:

After a minute it gives me this notification:

My WiFi is on:

Here's all I see under bluetooth settings:

Without having the light itself here, I'm not sure that it's going to pair but surely I can at least get off of the login page.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thank you, that fixed it! Odd that the old app would be the default in the play store, but I went to your link and it seems to be loading correctly now. Just need to get home and in range of the lights and looks like I'll be cooking with fire. Thank you so much, everyone who helped and I especially owe you one, @Streetwise!

#10 ·
Cool! BTW, some tips on using the app:

It is easier to manipulate the values when adding points than editing existing points, so you might just want to start from zero in the Pro mode.

You can save multiple profiles. It has an Export button, but it really should be called import, since it lets you take a saved profile and apply it to a light. This is how you can copy profiles between different lights.

When you do the firmware update, be patient and don't click the upgrade more than once, or you will have to jump thru some hoops to get the light going again if you interrupt the update. If that does happen, there are some threads on what to do, but the short version is there is a secret option you get from swiping left (I think) on a light in the list, with an extra update option. I went thru this last week, and I think I had to go in that way with the light off, then power it on, then I was able to re-do the update.

It has a preview mode, where it will run thru your whole schedule in maybe 30 seconds or a minute.

When you get everything running, I'd love to see you or anyone try a dual siesta routine so I can compare notes. It lets me enjoy my tanks from 07:00 to 23:00 without using too much light. My last two hours are just 1% blue for a nightlight before dark. I posted details in another thread.

When you are doing photography, you can just switch to manual and pump everything up. Then you can switch back to Pro and resume your schedule. You might even be able to do that with the button on your model, but I'm not sure, since my Nanos don't have a button. Never mind, the button is for On/Off/Blue.

Cheers

#11 ·
Very interested in finding some other's lighting profiles. Might just copy one if I find something that looks like what I'm after. Had considered a siesta, never occurred to me to have two though. Good point also about bringing the lights to 100% for photography.

#12 ·
I list the time periods in this post:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/...s-less-rampable-timed-light.html#post11275837

And here is a screenshot:

I wish I had a few more points available so I could stay at peak longer. That is the disadvantage of two siestas, but it is still worth it for me to wake up with the tanks, and get to enjoy them after work until I go to bed.

I am still playing with the color balance a little bit so that morning is a little bit different than midday, which is then different from late afternoon/evening.

I'm looking forward to trading some notes!

#13 ·
Well, lights are working on the app. I basically imported the planted tank version, added a siesta, and made the morning and nightfall settings way later. Tried tinkering for 2 siestas but there are only 10 points and if you move one wrong, they all go out of whack. And I had to set both manually to be pretty close to one another. I'll mess around with it some more for a while I settle on anything. I was hoping you could just import other's schedules but not thinking that's possible now. At 100% on all colors I'd be far less fond of these. You can make some really appealing sunset looks with the red and blues turned up. The "preview" is genius too. Very excited to learn my way around this.

#46 ·
Hi there,
I have been tinkering with the settings, and have not quite figured it out yet. I have my preferred settings saved, however for some reason my lights keep defaulting to the Tropic River setting in the pre sets ?? Also I see on my Fluval log in page, at the bottom, I do not have the "web" option, just : Devices, Support, and settings ? Any thoughts ? Blue Rectangle Violet Sky Font

Attachments

#14 ·
Nice. I assume the firmware update went fine?

It would be cool to share with others, but right now it is just you sharing with your other lights.

With just two siestas, you could do two sustained peaks. You would still have some points left to do a bit of sleepy-time blue if you wanted.

With two lights on one tank, you could also get clever with overlapping light schedules that are slightly different.

#16 ·
That is a fully symmetrical light schedule! Very interesting.

Why max blues? My anecdotal web research suggests that too much blue promotes growth of undesirable types of algae.

#17 ·
That is a fully symmetrical light schedule! Very interesting.

Why max blues? My anecdotal web research suggested too much blue promoted undesirable types of algae.
Hmm no real concrete reason aside from mixing with the pink for a purple hue? I honestly don't know why I chose that, but it's been working for me.

If that's true about the algae then I better lower the blue down. Also my light sits 6 inches above the tank and probably about 6.5-7 inch's from the water line.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Thanks again for sharing your profile.

I would encourage you to mix up the colors for each peak, and each light. You could even start and finish each peak at a different level. I think this would let you test the light and just play around with the color mixing, before you settle in.

#22 ·
Here are my current settings, which need some tweaking. Probably a lot of tweaking, but I need to watch the tank today.

Interestingly, I woke up to a ton of crypt melt this morning. Assume it's related. Possible sunburn from the lights running on 100% for the first two days? Haven't done so much as a top off.

#24 · (Edited)
I think I first heard the idea when researching these lights for the first time, in one of Bentley Pascoe's videos, and then in a few forum posts here and there. That's why I made sure to bold anecdotal, so I'm not claiming it as gospel. I was using a reef light (one tube white, one actinic) on my 16G bow front until my last two Nanos were swapped in, and I didn't really have any algae issues, but not much growth either.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bentleypascoe/videos

I think it was in his initial review of the light. Incidentally, he has one up about the pro mode settings he uses that I will have to check out.

Your programs look really interesting. It would be cool to trade some videos here of running thru the light preview of our various settings.

Cheers

Edit, I'm watching his latest one about this light and I think he may have specifically been talking about blue on this LED.

One more edit: He shared images of his different programs:

https://imgur.com/a/eE2BnFz

#26 · (Edited)
I hope we get more folks sharing programs, since there is no perfect template. I am currently running the same program on all seven of my Nano lights (my two bigger tanks have two Nanos each), so I should test multiple settings. I think my triangles are not giving enough light, even though they are extending my viewing time.

I think @Blue Ridge Reef is kind-of simulating cloud cover without going full dark, which gives me some ideas. The puzzle on this light is that you only get ten points.

#27 ·
I think @Blue Ridge Reef is kind-of simulating cloud cover without going full dark, which gives me some ideas. The puzzle on this light is that you only get ten points.
That was my hope but I wish you could randomize it. And that might be easier to do with one lighting unit than two. Unless you want to set two lights up identically which I'd kind of hoped not to. Half the fun of having two was getting more variables.

#29 ·
wow,I'm running the preset "planted" program,shortened by 1 hr on my 29 and my 75,very little algae,no co2,and thrive-c.I think the algae does use the blue light.I had problems with algae in other tanks with a 24/7 light until I turned off the blue at night.Blue on these lights is around 20%.white is at 100%.

still have a 10 hr photo period with 1 hour ramp on either end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.