Dimmer/Ramping Timer for Aquaneat LED Lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dimmer/Ramping Timer for Aquaneat LED Lighting

I just ordered some Aquaneat LED lights for a couple of my low-tech planted community tanks.

These are the exact lights I got:
http://stores.cllpetsupplies.com/12-...-marine-fowlr/

I was just going to get a cheap timer from Walmart because those work just fine but I was wondering if there was a better option that's not too expensive.
I would love to get something that would not only turn the lights on and off daily but would ramp the lights up and down so the transitions aren't as severe.

My Cory's, in particular, freak out when the lights come on and start slamming in to things so would like to mitigate that as much as possible.

I'm very handy with a soldering iron so have no problem with a DIY option, particularly if it saves some cash.

Bump: I did find ramping timers by NICREW and MingDak for only $12 on Amazon but not sure if they will work with the Aquaneat LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Go to amazon, search for Mingdak timer. Cheap stuff, it allows me to set my Nicrew light like this. 1st hour it steps up to 25%, then it steps up to 45% for next 3hrs, then up to 85% for 4hrs, the down to 40% for 3hrs, final 1hr at 25% again, then off. Ramp time at each event is about 6 minutes.

Flaws. Ramp at 1st and last of time is little jumpy, you can see slight intensity jumps from 0>5>10>20>25 and back down. Other flaw is there is no battery backup for clock setting so if power goes out clock resets to midnight. It remembers your steps/sequence in non-volatile memory but clock time it doesn’t. Takes about 8sec go reset clock time and it will resume normal operation at next event once clock is reset.

Not perfect but what do you expect for $13. It just inserts in between power supply and light on my and your type of cheap lights.

If you want to combine it with reg dig timer that does have battery backup for time I can tell you how to create a fool proof system that corrects itself after power outages. So $13+$7 will get you a nice system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Go to amazon, search for Mingdak timer. Cheap stuff, it allows me to set my Nicrew light like this. 1st hour it steps up to 25%, then it steps up to 45% for next 3hrs, then up to 85% for 4hrs, the down to 40% for 3hrs, final 1hr at 25% again, then off. Ramp time at each event is about 6 minutes.

Flaws. Ramp at 1st and last of time is little jumpy, you can see slight intensity jumps from 0>5>10>20>25 and back down. Other flaw is there is no battery backup for clock setting so if power goes out clock resets to midnight. It remembers your steps/sequence in non-volatile memory but clock time it doesn’t. Takes about 8sec go reset clock time and it will resume normal operation at next event once clock is reset.

Not perfect but what do you expect for $13. It just inserts in between power supply and light on my and your type of cheap lights.
Thanks. That's exactly the Mingdak Timer I saw on Amazon.

Do you know if the specific Aquaneat LED's I linked are dimmable?
I can't find an answer one way or the other.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
If you want to combine it with reg dig timer that does have battery backup for time I can tell you how to create a fool proof system that corrects itself after power outages. So $13+$7 will get you a nice system.
That would be great. How do you do that?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Do you know if the specific Aquaneat LED's I linked are dimmable?
I can't find an answer one way or the other.

That may depend on WHICH model of Aquaneat.
This one:
12"-48" LED Light Aquarium Fish Tank 0.5W Full Spectrum Plant Marine FOWLR - CLL Pet Supplies

Shows a weird power supply of 30V AC 400mA.

That's very odd and as is can't say if any usual dimmer/controller will work.
Somewhere it has to normally go to DC output..

If it's like this one it should work ..
http://stores.cllpetsupplies.com/aqu...-marine-fowlr/

Th power supply output is your first hint at what you can or can't do.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
That may depend on WHICH model of Aquaneat.
This one:
12"-48" LED Light Aquarium Fish Tank 0.5W Full Spectrum Plant Marine FOWLR - CLL Pet Supplies

Shows a weird power supply of 30V AC 400mA.

That's very odd and as is can't say if any usual dimmer/controller will work.
Somewhere it has to normally go to DC output..

If it's like this one it should work ..
Aquarium LED Light Plant Multi-Color Full Spectrum 12 to 80 Inch Marine FOWLR - CLL Pet Supplies
https://youtu.be/0aSTs0LPnJk

Th power supply output is your first hint at what you can or can't do.

What I ordered is the first one which makes me think it might not be dimmable.
I did notice that odd power supply output in the picture when I was first looking at them, all the LED power supplies I've seen before have been DC.

The lights haven't arrived yet so hopefully that's not the actual power supply that it comes with, sometimes the pictures aren't exactly accurate with these Chinese lights.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
I just ordered some Aquaneat LED lights for a couple of my low-tech planted community tanks.

These are the exact lights I got:
http://stores.cllpetsupplies.com/12-...-marine-fowlr/

I was just going to get a cheap timer from Walmart because those work just fine but I was wondering if there was a better option that's not too expensive.
I would love to get something that would not only turn the lights on and off daily but would ramp the lights up and down so the transitions aren't as severe.

My Cory's, in particular, freak out when the lights come on and start slamming in to things so would like to mitigate that as much as possible.

I'm very handy with a soldering iron so have no problem with a DIY option, particularly if it saves some cash.

Bump: I did find ramping timers by NICREW and MingDak for only $12 on Amazon but not sure if they will work with the Aquaneat LED's.
The NICREW TIMERS/DIMMERS won't work. Tried these: https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquarium-ClassicLED-BrightLED-Connectors/dp/B07KYLX2P6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode