Beamswork LED - Too bright? Algae. Hiding Fish. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricci_215

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beamswork LED - Too bright? Algae. Hiding Fish.

I am currently using a 36 Beamswork DA FSPEC LED on my 12 deep 22 gallon. I cannot find PAR data for this specific model at all.

Very recently I had a HUGE algae bloom (new tank, had just reached the end of cycle) which I am still controlling.

I finally just stocked the tank with:
- 15 Neon Tetras
- 6 Otocinclus
- 4 Amano Shrimp (LFS only had 4 left).

Everyone seems to be doing fine except they all hide during the day when the lights are on. Once its lights out, everyone in the tank is as active as can be. They have only been in there a few days so I understand they need to adjust to their new setting but they literally just hide during the day.

My water parameters are fine. PH in 6.5 range with a slight drop to around 6.0 after Co2 has been on. Co2 around 30ppm (using drop checker method). 0-0.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20ppm Nitrates.

Is it possible that my LED is just way too bright? Considering the algae issues and now that the fish are hiding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use Beamswork lights with these....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can ramp up and down and dim how ever you want .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I use Beamswork lights with these....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can ramp up and down and dim how ever you want .

The link doesnt seem to be working. Are you able to tell me the name of the one you are using? I thought about using the CurrentUSA dimmer but it doesnt have a ramp up/down feature.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I thought about using the CurrentUSA dimmer but it doesn’t have a ramp up/down feature.
Current does sell a Ramp timer pro. It will do ramp up / down has a dimmer and can control two different lamps run on 12 VDC (30watts) or 24VDC (60watts). You light might be too bright but I don't know enough about the light to know if it is compatible.

In my experience algae issues are often caused by nutrient deficiency issues. If your fertilizer is missing just one nutrient plant growth will be slow or stop. Algae however does well in low nutrient levels. So if the plants don't have enough algae will have more than enough nutrients to grow and it will take over the tank. If plants are growing well, algae tends not to do well and may die off.

Light and CO2 can also have an effect on algae but your lamp has a light output of 5000 lumens and you ph and drop checker information leads me to believe your algae issue is due to the fertilizer you use. But we have no information on your fertilizer or how you dose them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Light and CO2 can also have an effect on algae but your lamp has a light output of 5000 lumens and you ph and drop checker information leads me to believe your algae issue is due to the fertilizer you use. But we have no information on your fertilizer or how you dose them.

Currently I am using Tropica Premium Nutrition. I dose about 6 pumps total per week for a 22 gallon tank. Im estimating I have around 18 gallons or so of water volume. Id ideally like to switch ferts and my dosing regime anyway so if you have any recommendations on that as well Im all ears. Ive been looking into Nilocg Thrive, it seems promising.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Im sorry, that link isnt working either. Takes me to a dead page. Mind telling me the name of the product?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't know why it won't work . Try searching for Nicrew timer/dimmers .

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Don't know why it won't work . Try searching for Nicrew timer/dimmers .

Got it! I actually ordered a Nicrew dimmer last night. Should be here tomorrow for me to try out. Thanks for the recommendation though! Obviously Im concerned about plant growth and health but now that I have livestock Id like my new guests to be happy. Hopefully the dimmer will help.

Leeatl likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You just have to find the balance between light,ferts, and CO2 if doing . The Nicrew will help and I love the ramp up/down so no sudden lights on/off .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode