Led lighting suggestion for 24" deep tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Led lighting suggestion for 24" deep tank

I'm looking to possibly move away from my t5HO unit with an LED fixture. I want to light my 90 gallon 48 x 18 x 24. I'm a bit of a noob with LEDs I've tried some in the past but with mixed results. I've found myself always going back to my T5HO fixture for one reason or another

Here is what I've tried and my impressions of them

- finnex ray 2 - super bright but I found the color too harsh and no features

- finnex planted 24-7 some nice features but light intensity was not very stong

- Ecoxotic e90 great features but light spread not RGB's not very present fixture got really hot.

What I'm really looking for is a light that doesn't get very hot, has a decent spread. It's going to sit on the tank and I use lids. Also a ramp up feature would be nice. I also want a good color rendition.

Needs to be able to adequately light medium demanding plants 24" deep. Spending under $400 is ideal. I'll spend more if I have too.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Led

If you must have lights that sit on the tank, two Fluval Plant Spectrum 3.0 would be a good choice. Very nice spectrum control with your smart phone.

If it was my tank, I would suspend two Waveform PhotonPanel 4000k grow lights with dimmers over it. I have one on a 36" wide tank 18" deep with the dimmer output at about 75%. Astonishingly powerful in a pleasing spectrum. Waveform also makes LED bulbs in T5 and T8 shapes 48" long.

https://store.waveformlighting.com/p...ow-light-panel
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthings View Post
If you must have lights that sit on the tank, two Fluval Plant Spectrum 3.0 would be a good choice. Very nice spectrum control with your smart phone.

If it was my tank, I would suspend two Waveform PhotonPanel 4000k grow lights with dimmers over it. I have one on a 36" wide tank 18" deep with the dimmer output at about 75%. Astonishingly powerful in a pleasing spectrum. Waveform also makes LED bulbs in T5 and T8 shapes 48" long.

https://store.waveformlighting.com/p...ow-light-panel

Thanks for the recommendations. The light needs to sit on the tank It's in the family room. When we sit on the couch we get blinded by the light if it's hanging .

You think I would need 2 fluval fixtures Is not the par or spread not enough with one unit?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @filipem,

If you are looking for just medium to medium-low light a single fixture may do the job. I tested my Fluval 2.0 (previous version) on my 75 gallon tank (48"X18.5"X21.25H) with 2" - 3" of substrate and reported the results in this post. Obviously the extra 3" in the height of your tank will cause lower readings. Hope this helps!

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

Led

One Fluval may be enough. I have one on a 24" long tank and it has a pretty wide spread.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipem View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. The light needs to sit on the tank It's in the family room. When we sit on the couch we get blinded by the light if it's hanging .

You think I would need 2 fluval fixtures Is not the par or spread not enough with one unit?

Well.. Depends on what you are growing and what power your old lights were.. i.e how many tubes and do you want the new one equivalent?

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been using a Hagen glo 2 x 54w light over this tank the bulbs both giesemann one tropic the other flora something and I'm getting ok growth I'd like something a little stronger

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @filipem,

If you are looking for just medium to medium-low light a single fixture may do the job. I tested my Fluval 2.0 (previous version) on my 75 gallon tank (48"X18.5"X21.25H) with 2" - 3" of substrate and reported the results in this post. Obviously the extra 3" in the height of your tank will cause lower readings. Hope this helps!
I read your thread. Very helpful thank you. For my current setup according to your measurements one fixture should be sufficient. To bad it doesn't have a little more power. Down the road of I keep.more demanding plants in this tank I'm afraid the one fixture wont be enough.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've been using a Hagen glo 2 x 54w light over this tank the bulbs both giesemann one tropic the other flora something and I'm getting ok growth I'd like something a little stronger

Bump:

I read your thread. Very helpful thank you. For my current setup according to your measurements one fixture should be sufficient. To bad it doesn't have a little more power. Down the road of I keep.more demanding plants in this tank I'm afraid the one fixture wont be enough.
3.0's is like $420 so in the ballpark..

Close..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-l...pro-timer.html

no worries about what you can grow..

Bells and whistles but shorter..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...-16-timer.html

both are considerably stronger than your 2 tubes..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
3.0's is like $420 so in the ballpark..

Close..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-l...pro-timer.html

no worries about what you can grow..

Bells and whistles but shorter..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...-16-timer.html

both are considerably stronger than your 2 tubes..

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving hose on my glass lids. Those are nice though thanks for the suggestion

Looks like 1 or possible 2 fluval 3.0 fixtures may be the one for me. Do the 3.0's get really hot? They are going to be sitting on the glass on top of the tank.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

I had a 24 deep tank and mounted 2 CurrentUSA planted pro plus on the brackets they have for their lights. The brackets can be mounted on the tank or on the wall behind the tank.They proved more than enough light and have the ramping feature. I had a 4" wood rim around the tank top which blocked all glare, which I dont like either.

I've never understood the point of covering a tank with a glass lid; having lights sitting on top of them is a less than ideal set up.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I had a 24 deep tank and mounted 2 CurrentUSA planted pro plus on the brackets they have for their lights. The brackets can be mounted on the tank or on the wall behind the tank.They proved more than enough light and have the ramping feature. I had a 4" wood rim around the tank top which blocked all glare, which I dont like either.

I've never understood the point of covering a tank with a glass lid; having lights sitting on top of them is a less than ideal set up.

The lids are more practical in my situation. I have a cat that has attempted to jump on the tank when it was open in the past. The family room where the tank sits is close to the kitchen. Sometimes when frying food the area can get a little smokey. The lids help (a lot) keeping the smoke out of the water. I've also lost zero fish or shrimp from jumping out of the tank,

Years ago my wife saw an amano shrimp walking on the floor about 2 feet from the tank and lost her mind. She thought it was a centipede at first glance. She hates those those things.

That and the fact that we blinded from the light when we are watching TV really leaves me little choice I really need to keep the lights on the top again another good reason to use lids.

I could use mesh but I've been using lids with lights on them and I've never had a problem. I'm not really interested in changing what works for me. Using a fixture that doesn't run hot on the glass lids work for me.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving hose on my glass lids. Those are nice though thanks for the suggestion

Looks like 1 or possible 2 fluval 3.0 fixtures may be the one for me. Do the 3.0's get really hot? They are going to be sitting on the glass on top of the tank.
You really need to use brackets they come with or install some 3/4 rubber feet so there is airgap under light. LED in general run cooler than t5 but heat dissipation is not like Fluor fixtures which have venting. If you make your led strip run hot you can expect it to probably ruin your light by over heating it.

Its really not hard to build a light dam or even a box to keep light spill over out of your eyes.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I utilized a cheap beamswork pent 0.5w LED light on a previous tank, nearly 30" to substrate, with great success. Closer will net increased light. The coloring is nothing fancy and there is no ramp feature unfortunately. If you are quite the DIYer, you can make the perfect light yourself!

Obviously there are options more closely matching your wants, but I did want to throw out the cheapest option for consideration!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:

Hi @filpem,

No the 3.0's do not get hot, warm yes but I can rest my hand on them without getting burned. Ken's Fish has the Fluval 3.0 48"-60" on sale for $178.58. The reduced price shows up once the item is in the cart.....the product page shows $209.99. Ground shipping is free but sales tax does apply. CORRECTION: I just ordered a 36" Fluval 3.0 today (11/14/19) it was still on sale and sales tax was not added to the order!
filipem likes this.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 11-14-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: corrected comment about sales tax
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @filpem,

No the 3.0's do not get hot, warm yes but I can rest my hand on them without getting burned. Ken's Fish has the Fluval 3.0 48"-60" on sale for $178.58. The reduced price shows up once the item is in the cart.....the product page shows $209.99. Ground shipping is free but sales tax does apply.

Man you are awesome. I was just literally ordering this fixture online here in Canada. I just happened to check the forum and boom I found your post.

I wasn't taxed for some reason and the shipping was free to NY. I use a crossboarder service from there. MUCH cheaper then direct ship. I ended up saving about $70 USD not inc customs charges usually around $10 for something of this value

I just ordered it thanks again I'm looking forward to trying this light out

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
You really need to use brackets they come with or install some 3/4 rubber feet so there is airgap under light. LED in general run cooler than t5 but heat dissipation is not like Fluor fixtures which have venting. If you make your led strip run hot you can expect it to probably ruin your light by over heating it.

Its really not hard to build a light dam or even a box to keep light spill over out of your eyes.

The ends on the fixture actually sit on the black frame and center brace of the aquarium the light fixure does not physically touch the glass the space from the bottom of the fixture to the glass is about 3/8"

I like the idea of feet seems simpler than building a box. 3/4" high should not present a problem in my situation.

Thanks
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode