Dual photo period with Current Sat Pro-only on timer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Dual photo period with Current Sat Pro-only on timer

I was curious about how to set my Current Satellite Pro w/ integrated timer to do two photoperiods per day. I am home a lot and always want my tank on, I was very successful in the past. First, can this hurt the light/or timer in any way? I assume it's probably a non issue but just curious if i am over looking things. I know at the least, I would loose ramp up and my moon lights which is no biggie.

Would I just set the lighting to be on 24 hours a day, at the intensity I want on the integrated timer, then set the photo periods with an external outlet timer? Or is there another way?

I know I make a controller for the light, I already own a Rasberry Pi for a class I took, I just am not a great programmer, nor do I have time at the moment. I was thinking of something quick and easy instead, I have plenty of timers laying around.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don’t know the details on programming that light, but we used a trick on the Fluval before they gave us pro mode. The light wouldn’t know the current time after a power cycle, until you opened it in the app. The light would start at midnight. So you would program dawn for midnight, and then the cycle would re-run after a siesta power off.

Now with 10 control points, I can run two siestas and a bit of blue before bedtime.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I don’t know the details on programming that light, but we used a trick on the Fluval before they gave us pro mode. The light wouldn’t know the current time after a power cycle, until you opened it in the app. The light would start at midnight. So you would program dawn for midnight, and then the cycle would re-run after a siesta power off.

Now with 10 control points, I can run two siestas and a bit of blue before bedtime.
I could be completely incorrect on this, but for some reason I am under the impression my light maintains the time, even when unplugged. I could be completely wrong on this. If the time resets, and the time starts at 0:00 or whatever, and but the settings are stored (which I am positive they are), that is a a great suggestion I would have never thought of. I could create a program where I have all my features for essentially 24 hours with a digital timer, minus a second or two, or just not for the siesta period, depending on how I did the non integrated timer. Thank you, I will have to test further this weekend.

-Matt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
First, can this hurt the light/or timer in any way?
The primary killer to any lamp or timer is heat and water. If the light or the timer get too hot they can fail. The other issue is water if the electronics get we the wires and electronic can corrode and or short out. A good quality lamp will be manufactured to be waterproof and humidity proof. If you lamp is water proof water or humidity shouldn't be a problem.

My experience with the pro timer is that as long at the lamp wattage doesn't exceed the rating for the timer it should not overheat. However if you mount the timer on the lamp the heat from the lamp can kill it.

Quote:
Would I just set the lighting to be on 24 hours a day, at the intensity I want on the integrated timer, then set the photo periods with an external outlet timer? Or is there another way?
I believe this will work but I have not tried it. I have unplugged the timer a number of times and it hasn't lost its clock or memory settings.

The way I run my unit is that the timer settings I am using are saved on M1. It turns on just before I get home and then off when I go to bed. However when I am home and not working I frequently want it on longer. So on those days I simply press one of the dynamic lighting modes (typically one of the two partially cloudy modes. And then when I go to bed I press the M1 button to turn the timer back on.

I typically use the dynamic lighting modes on the weekend.Up to 12 hours on. Now the dynamic settings don't match my timer settings. But I have not seen anything indicating it is a problem.

Another option I have not tried is to set your normal daily timer to M1 and then program a second timer M2 for when you want it on longer. Then just press M1 or M2 for whatever you want.

Last edited by Surf; 11-09-2019 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post

I believe this will work but I have not tried it. I have unplugged the timer a number of times and it hasn't lost its clock or memory settings.

The way I run my unit is that the timer settings I am using are saved on M1. It turns on just before I get home and then off when I go to bed. However when I am home and not working I frequently want it on longer. So on those days I simply press one of the dynamic lighting modes (typically one of the two partially cloudy modes. And then when I go to bed I press the M1 button to turn the timer back on.

I typically use the dynamic lighting modes on the weekend.Up to 12 hours on. Now the dynamic settings don't match my timer settings. But I have not seen anything indicating it is a problem.

Another option I have not tried is to set your normal daily timer to M1 and then program a second timer M2 for when you want it on longer. Then just press M1 or M2 for whatever you want.
Thank you for the first part, I understand that but it's good to have it reiterated.

As for manually controlling the light, the problem I am having is that I am home all the time. I am currently a student so I am always home, and always turn my lights on. My goal is to both extend my viewing time, while also keeping it consistent.

The bigger reason is that going back to some of my best tanks, I had dual photoperiod/siesta and was in the same situation of wanting to see my tank. It was different, I was a musician so my hours were long and inconsistent so I didn't know when I would go to the studio or be home, so I either needed to see it in the morning or at night, depending on the day. So, it's a combination of past success, more consistency, and more time to view the tank.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode