Help with lighting pick (finnex vs fluval vs beamswork) - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What light should I choose?
Finnex 24/7+ HLC 0 0%
Fluval 3.0 10 83.33%
Beamswork FSPEC 1 8.33%
Other! (Please post which one below) 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Rasbora Beret
  • 1 Post By MtAnimals
  • 1 Post By MChambers
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By ererer
  • 1 Post By Streetwise
  • 1 Post By varanidguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with lighting pick (finnex vs fluval vs beamswork)

Hi all!

I've been going back and forth about lighting for the last week or two, and have narrowed it down to 3 options: finnex 24/7+ HLC, beamswork da fspec, and the fluval 3.0. I've read a lot on these three lights, and am still pretty uncertain as to which to choose, so I'm hoping you all can help!

Tank setup

I have a 55g that I set up about 2 months ago [Also, a custom all plywood stand that I built that I'll post another thread on later!]. I've run a few smaller (2 10g, 1 5.5g) low tech planted tanks for the last year, this is my first tank with co2. I ordered a victor 270d, swagelok b-2ma, and a clippard mouse solenoid from fleabay last week and am going to get co2 running on the tank in the next couple of weeks once all of the parts and fittings arrive.

The tank is stocked with 22 three lined corys and 21 cardinal tetras, along with ~50 RCS. I'm using safe t sorb topped with pool filter sand for substrate, with osmocote. I mixed my own ferts and plan to dose following PPS-Pro once I'm running co2.

Plants

I'm going for a nature style tank, currently it's planted with

Echinodorus osiris
Echinodorus cordifolius
Microsorum pteropus
Sagittaria subulata
Vesicularia dubyana
Lobelia cardinalis
Cryptocoryne wendtii

and I'm going to add Alternanthera reineckii to add some red and Staurogyne repens as a carpet once I have the co2 and new lights.

Lighting options

I currently have a cheap hardware store fixture with two phillips 32w 4-ft t8s on the tank. I'm new to lighting and have read a lot of threads, and I'm considering between the finnex 24/7+ HLC, beamswork da fspec, and the fluval 3.0.

One thing I'd like as a feature, or to be able to add, is being able to ramp the lights on/off and set points in between. I've read the Nicrew channel timer pro should be able to do this with the beamswork. The other two lights can do it on their own.

Other than that, the main difference (to me) mostly seems to be price/reliability between the 3. I like that the fluval 3.0 has a 3 year warranty, but for the price I could buy 2 more beamswork fixtures or one more of the finnex if either wears out in less than 3 years. I'd prefer to spend less than more, if I get a similar outcome, and $200 for the fluval is more than I was planning for lights, but I'll do it if it's the best choice.

I'm leaning towards the finnex 24/7+ HLC at the moment, though there are a lot of finnex 24/7+ versions and the HLC doesn't seem to be as commonly used as the CC or SE, so I'm not sure it will have enough PAR for the depth of my 55? My substrate is only 16"-17" below the top of the tank, I have a pretty deep level of substrate. I see a lot of people running two beamsworks or two finnex, but I'm not sure if that's just to get a wider spectrum (ie running the fspec with the 6500k) or if it's because they have wider tanks.

So, what would you suggest? One of these three, or do you think another light that I'm not considering would work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'm not sure what to tell you about lighting choices on your 55 but I can tell you that I have a Fluval 2.0 on my 29 and it works great, plants grow excellent. I also just set up a 20L that I put a Fluval 3.0 on and so far I like it quite a lot. I suggest you read Seattle_Aquarist post about his Fluval: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...onths-old.html

RAOK Club #55
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks reddhawkk. I actually just read that post - It's one of the reasons I'm strongly considering the fluval 3.0.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Algae Grower

When I converted to a planted tank, I started with the Finnex 24/7 planted + (not cc, se or hlc). After a while, I felt like it did not fill the bill for some medium demanding plants. After researching and reading recommendations, I went with the Fluval 3.0.
I fell it does a good job with medium demanding plants. I've been running this since May and the only thing I do not like is having to reconnect with the app after a power outage or time change, which I can live with. I hope this will help with your decision
ererer likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I started with finnex planted +,then I used the original 24/7,and an SE.With both the finnex lights I ended up setting them to full intensity and using a timer.

I tried a fluval 3.0 on a 29,and liked it so much I'm using one on a 75 as well.The fluval will be my "go to" light from now on.

both tanks are low tech.
ererer likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

Last edited by MtAnimals; 11-07-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typos
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My limited experience with Beamswork lights has not been good, mostly based on reliability. I'd go with either the Fluval or the Finnex, both of which have worked well for me.
ererer likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Chihiros RGB is my vote. A google search comparing it to the Fluval 3.0 points pretty squarely at the Chihiros being superior. Random amazon linky.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Chihiros RGB is my vote. A google search comparing it to the Fluval 3.0 points pretty squarely at the Chihiros being superior. Random amazon linky.

A minor or major point depending on one's comfort ..between the Chihiros and Fluval..
One really has zero support or warranty in

a practical sense, other has 3yr real warranty (and waterproof to boot)..
Then again one shouldn't need a warranty really..

To confuse matters there is the WRGB and RGB and it's hard to tell which is actually being sold half the time.
some w/ fans some not.. ???
I'll usually pick a fanless light over one w/ fans btw..

Don't get me wrong, Chihiros is a valuable addition to the competition.. but one needs to consider all aspects..
minorhero likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you don't want to be limited now or in the future in what you can grow I would not use the Finnex on a 55. I have one now and like it but I have a shallow tank.
ererer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, the overwhelming vote seems to be for the fluval 3.0, so that's what I ended up buying.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll start a tank build thread soon.
varanidguy likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you will be very happy with it. Make sure to upgrade the firmware so you can use the pro mode.
ererer likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I have the 45cm Chihiros RGB on a nano tank, and for the price I paid, it's impressively powerful in terms of PAR - and so far it's been very reliable.

It is also extremely bright, which some people might like or hate. However, I still wouldn't place it above my Fluval 3.0's. Biggest reasons are for the amount of control over the different spectrums, built-in ramping, and built-in timer you get with the Fluval. Both lights are capable of "high light" very comfortably, in my experience...I'll be trying out the 48" Fluval 3.0 today and taking some measurements with a Seneye.

But, especially considering the Fluval 3.0 costs less than the Chihiros for the larger options...
ererer likes this.

|
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Planted Member

I have a 55 with two finnex 24-7 CRV 48" because one wasn't quite bright enough.
But with two it is a pain to open the lid as a foot sits on the back of the lid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode