Fluval 3.0 48 alternative? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 3.0 48 alternative?

Hello all,

I was wondering if theres an alternative to the Fluval 3.0 48 version. It would be for a 75 gallon, my wife really likes the color temperature more than the Beamswork DA FSPEC.

I have two 3.0s now on my 40 breeder (second one arrived today) and I absolutely love these lights, but one concern about running a single light is spread, mostly front to back.

The 75 is low tech, partially dirted, so Im looking for something adjustable to be able to provide PAR in the 40-50 range, dont need to blast this tank. I wanted to avoid, if possible, purchasing two lights for this tank.

But yeah, good front to back spread and a warmer color temperature is what we are after. The width of the Beamswork combined with legs that hold it up a couple inches actually enables it to provide a decent spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why not just run a different program on a second Fluval, perhaps with different color settings? I used three Nanos on one of my tanks for a while, and I staggered my sunrises and sunsets to move across the tank.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Why not just run a different program on a second Fluval, perhaps with different color settings? I used three Nanos on one of my tanks for a while, and I staggered my sunrises and sunsets to move across the tank.

My concern is the spread of light from front to back of the tank. The Fluval, while a great light, does have its weaknesses. Now I know their advertising claims their lenses helps a lot with that, but a 40 breeder is the same depth and requires two lights to get close to full spread.

I wouldnt want the plants in the foreground or background to suffer from a lack of light.

|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XN8GJXY...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Will get back to this in a bit.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-03-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could play about with your existing lights and see if raising it would give you the spread you want. You can get a hanging kit, but I've seena few DIY legs about too.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Here is that light in 24" length. Taken with cell camera and I believe it was on 60 or 80%
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATTS9208.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	888877
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Algae Grower

I have 2 also on a 40gal but 30x18x18.
Looking for hanging light because spread of 24 leave dark space and the low profile look is nice mininalist and doesn't hurt the eyes but hard to work with.

Look for ai, kessil, chiros etc...

varanidguy likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

Hmmm, at that price, Im tempted to purchase a Fluval 3.0 anyway then try to devise some sort of way to raise it up, whether building a custom hood or some kind of hanging kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watever View Post
I have 2 also on a 40gal but 30x18x18.
Looking for hanging light because spread of 24 leave dark space and the low profile look is nice mininalist and doesn't hurt the eyes but hard to work with.

Look for ai, kessil, chiros etc...

It is indeed hard to work with in some ways. I wish there was a way to raise it up, and the bar itself was actually the full width its listed for. Those would address some weak points of the Fluval imo.

|
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 AM
YTP
Algae Grower

I have a small shelf above my tank and got some thin black chain and hooks from home depot to just cradle the light and lift it up off the top of my tank. Since you are only looking for 40-50 par maybe you could do something similar to elevate it a bit and improve the spread? The length of the LEDs on the 3.0 does suck though, I got a 36" for my 29 gallon and the actual LED strip is only like 30" which ends up being perfect for the 29.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hmmm, at that price, I’m tempted to purchase a Fluval 3.0 anyway then try to devise some sort of way to raise it up, whether building a custom hood or some kind of hanging kit.

You only need to be 6" off the water line to "fill" the tank front to back..
varanidguy likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-04-2019 at 03:12 AM. Reason: edit
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yep, would be easy to buy some 3/4 square acrylic extruded rod, acrylic welded compound and build some riser brackets to stick on ends of Fluval end pieces.
varanidguy likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

With some of the PT lighting experts in this thread, any info on this?

https://www.marinedepot.com/aqua-ill...-fixture-black

Maybe we have to wait for more news.
varanidguy likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @varanidguy

Here is a thread
where I took readings on my 75 gallon with only a Fluval 2.0 running. It has good front to back and side to side light dispersion. The 3.0 has the same wattage and the same lumens so I would guess that it is very similar.

-Roy
varanidguy likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @varanidguy

Here is a thread
where I took readings on my 75 gallon with only a Fluval 2.0 running. It has good front to back and side to side light dispersion. The 3.0 has the same wattage and the same lumens so I would guess that it is very similar.

-Roy

Thanks Roy!

I definitely dont get that kind of spread on my 40 breeder with the 3.0s. You think this could be due to the extra 5 of height on the 75 gallon?

Edit: Kens Fish got the 48 3.0 back in stock so Im going to give it a shot. Id like to keep this thread going, if possible, for informational purposes. If the 3.0 doesnt work out, it can always be returned in favor of something else.

|
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Thanks Roy!

I definitely don’t get that kind of spread on my 40 breeder with the 3.0’s. You think this could be due to the extra 5” of height on the 75 gallon?

Edit: Kens Fish got the 48” 3.0 back in stock so I’m going to give it a shot. I’d like to keep this thread going, if possible, for informational purposes. If the 3.0 doesn’t work out, it can always be returned in favor of something else.

Quote:
The distance between the light and the substrate surface is 19.5
Directly under light [email protected]

you will only be adding a few inches of height since you orig have an inch or 2 off the water line now.
You should be fine..

just for reference..40B and a bit short (the light) but this gives you an idea of the height..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...tank-pics.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-04-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode