• 1 Post By makeme
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass Aquarium Lids and LEDs

I have a 16 gallon bow-front that I brought back to life after years of dust. It is in my signature. When setting it up a few months ago, I accidentally broke the rectangular part of of the glass lid. I've only hit two of my local stores looking for a replacement, but no luck yet, or online. I tried a 10 gallon lid, but it was just a bit wide to fit.

Does anyone have a rectangular piece of glass that is 19 1/8 inches by 5-7 inches?

My plan is to get two Fluval Plant 3.0 Nanos and lay them on the glass, since I cannot use the mounts on a rimmed tank. I researched all sorts of other lights, but I just want to keep going with what is working for my other tanks. I just have to get creative on how to use them. I really wish Fluval had a wide 17-24 inch model.

Thanks,

Jason

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-02-2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Algae Grower

You can easily custom cut a rectangle of glass to replace the piece you broke...you only need a few inexpensive tools and can buy a sheet of glass at almost any big box store or hardware store. This would be much cheaper than buying and shipping a custom piece. There are lots of great videos on cutting glass on youtube. I had to do this when I couldn't find a glass cover for my 2.5 g, and it really is very easy!
Streetwise likes this.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lowe's will cut glass
Streetwise likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lots of places will custom cut glass for you and edge grind them smooth.

When you set nano on glass make sure you add some feet etc so there is some air gap underneath for proper ventilation of heat.
Streetwise likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Lots of places will custom cut glass for you and edge grind them smooth.

When you set nano on glass make sure you add some feet etc so there is some air gap underneath for proper ventilation of heat.
Yes for feet! Thanks. I did research local glass, but I didn't know what to expect. I have sailing friends who might have glass tools.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got a piece cut at Aubachon Hardware, put feet on a couple of new Fluval Plant Nanos I bough today, and it looks great! I'll post something in my 16G Bow journal tonight. I'm up to seven of those lights now!

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Glad you found a piece to fit! I was going to suggest Lowes or Ace Hardware. Both cut glass with a purchase. You just have to sand the edges and I would put dabs of silicone or silicone feet to keep it planted on the edges.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They couldn't smooth the edges for me, but suggested emory cloth. After I washed it without cutting myself, I just decided to let it be. I cleaned the tank filter foam without cutting myself, so I think it is good.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
fluval plant 3.0, led, lid, lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode