T5 vs LED - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I don’t know, it is pretty outdated technology, the website is abandoned and two years old. Truth is, ADA also stopped using white LEDs in their fixtures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghaiqx4AzcI

Yea but that isn't exactly "ideal" depending on goals.
As to ADA they also spike green in some lights.. Certainly more than natural..

Like I said it's a choice.

PERSONALLY, though punchy RGB are not a preferred "look to me"..
Got thing thing about holes in the spectrum..
https://www.researchgate.net/profile...nm-green-l.png

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...e-types-of.png

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Got thing thing about holes in the spectrum..
Do you feel the same way when you watch TVs? Almost all are only RGB spectrum emitters and they can mix any colour imaginable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you feel the same way when you watch TVs? Almost all are only RGB spectrum emitters and they can mix any colour imaginable.

our current main TV...
https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD.../dp/B001XUR5FO
Quote:
6-Color Processor for a wider range of colors, brighter colors and whiter whites

sooo ..yes..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #94 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
our current main TV...
https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD.../dp/B001XUR5FO

sooo ..yes..

Still rockin the DLP. Jeff its time for an upgrade!
post #95 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
Still rockin the DLP. Jeff its time for an upgrade!

As soon as the OLED lifespan issue is fixed..and cheaper
Don't get me started on black levels..

Sadly, unlike aquarium lights, I can't build my own..
varanidguy likes this.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-02-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: edit
post #96 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edward; Yesterday at 09:42 PM. Reason: Double post
post #97 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

@Xiaozhuang perfectly sums up the difference between RGBW and RGB fixtures in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
However, I said what I said as it is also based on what I observe from general aquarists views/actions. They may say they want accurate color rendition, but other than biotope enthusiasts and/or botanists, what many aquarists prefer is lighting that give higher and stronger color contrast, overwhelmingly so, (and not necessarily natural or accurate tones in that sense). And I see this across cultures (both east and west) - many folks constantly changing lighting fixtures till they get that look. Human's color perception (and indeed of reality itself) is extremely circumstantial as well as easily manipulated. For example, the first time you see an ADA RGB fixture in real life - you would instantly feel that the green is super/over saturated, and that the reds are exaggerated as well. However, if you spend 5 minutes in the ADA gallery, with all tanks lit similarly, your eyes get used to it and you get the feeling that everything just has a good contrast. Trained photographers probably still retain their objectivity, but most folks will just sink into the "new reality". In our tanks similarly we create fantasies of natural surroundings, try to create an insane amount of depth in a laughably small space etc. To that extent, I feel that for most aquarists, anything that complements/improves the illusion, which humans delight in anyway, should be done.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #98 of 106 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@Xiaozhuang perfectly sums up the difference between RGBW and RGB fixtures in this post:

Funny, that is really putting LED vs LED..
And the "shadows" due to light geometry will always create a err "deeper" look than any tubes..

Quote:
you would instantly feel that the green is super/over saturated, and that the reds are exaggerated as well.
Think that is worth pondering a moment, and yes there is a philosophical difference but it's the nuance that matters to some..

how many shades of colors are missing we/ JUST RGB?

NOTE: Prob. a bit of an exaggeration but point holds.
with the correct RGB diodes at the correct output it's possible to hit a CRI of 95-ish..
A little decent high K (6500k or greater) white won't hurt..
Edward likes this.

Last edited by jeffkrol; Yesterday at 05:49 PM. Reason: edit
post #99 of 106 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

jeffkrol
I wish I had your experience with LEDs.
What do you mean by “And the "shadows" due to light geometry will always create a err "deeper" look than any tubes..” ?

Tubes make scapes look flatter than metal halides and LEDs. I use metal halides and like the dynamic look, shadows and shimmer effect. The temperature is 10 000 K and colour of plants look great, but the white portion is too strong, we almost have to use sunglasses. I see RGB LED fixtures producing also the great looking colours, though minus the disturbing white overload.

Bellow, I created four pictures for a comparison, these are only illustrations and not real shots.

10K Metal Halide:

RGBW:

T5HO Colour Tubes:

RGB:

“how many shades of colors are missing we/ JUST RGB?”
None when levels are set correctly. Tubes don’t have this option, we can swap few predetermined colours and that’s it.

I think the CRI is the way tubes were classified and it was the only way for us to choose the right ones. It has little to do with aquariums when we think LEDs today.

post #100 of 106 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My above chart is from Chihiros WRGB..
There is a lack (when excluding the whites) of sufficient light in the 470-500nm spectrum .. If you had a pure pigment that reflected say just 480nm light it would appear at best weak.
Same w/ the 570-610nm range, or >650.
Now few of these may exist in nature but the point still is some unrepresented spectrum.
W/ things w/ a range of reflectance the seperation is less, so much appears monotone..

Now it may be a matter of photos but that's what I see w/ ADA and many RGB tanks.. monotone BRIGHT greens w/ little subtlety in shade.

Tubes can be the same BUT they have one advantage, they use RGB phosphors which by their nature SMEAR more across the spectrum than narrow spectrum emitters..w/ the exception of the sharp Mercury emission peaks esp in the green. So it's not perfect either..

Can't EXACTLY say it definitely but a GE starcoat should have a slight advantage in color over a RGB LED yet apper less so due to the "crispness" of the narrow spectrum LED peaks..
Yes, you heard it here.. T5's edge LEd's..
It's my old windmill.. lack of cyan range in the LED..
fortunately many LED greens are err sloppy..

Will be the last time for that though.. LOL

Once you start adding "colored tubes" you start to really overdrive color in my OPINION, where the RGB LED wins out..

TO BE honest, a lot of this is real nit picky..

Note2: GE starcoats are listed as "only" 85CRI..
https://products.currentbyge.com/sit..._T5_Ecolux.pdf

Last edited by jeffkrol; Yesterday at 11:01 PM. Reason: edit
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
CRI isnt really the best thing to go by if you want your colors to pop (esp red).

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/is-c...etter-than-cri

From personal experience I bought some 5000-6500K T5HO, non-aquarium brand with 90+ CRI...and they looked like crap.

post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old Today, 12:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
jeffkrol
I wish I had your experience with LEDs.
What do you mean by “And the "shadows" due to light geometry will always create a err "deeper" look than any tubes..” ?

Tubes make scapes look flatter than metal halides and LEDs. I use metal halides and like the dynamic look, shadows and shimmer effect. The temperature is 10 000 K and colour of plants look great, but the white portion is too strong, we almost have to use sunglasses. I see RGB LED fixtures producing also the great looking colours, though minus the disturbing white overload.

Bellow, I created four pictures for a comparison, these are only illustrations and not real shots.

10K Metal Halide:

RGBW:

T5HO Colour Tubes:

RGB:

“how many shades of colors are missing we/ JUST RGB?”
None when levels are set correctly. Tubes don’t have this option, we can swap few predetermined colours and that’s it.

I think the CRI is the way tubes were classified and it was the only way for us to choose the right ones. It has little to do with aquariums when we think LEDs today.

I do not agree with anything you just said.
Edward likes this.

Last edited by RLee; Today at 12:44 AM. Reason: add stuff
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old Today, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
I do not agree with anything you just said.
Perfect, how do you see it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
CRI isnt really the best thing to go by if you want your colors to pop (esp red).

From personal experience I bought some 5000-6500K T5HO, non-aquarium brand with 90+ CRI...and they looked like crap.
For me too. Great CRI creates dull presentations.

post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old Today, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

That's either an old article or one w/ old information..

"Modern" CRI measurements have 15 color swatches including saturated Red, green, blue, yellow "foliage" green flesh tone and white..Both 93.3..

also doesn't distinguish between high K CRI and low K CRI which uses a different standard to be measured against.

One a tungsten lamp at about 2700K-ish the other daylight..

And equal CRI's can have very different look.

As a hypothetical EXTREME a light w/ 100 on all patches but zero on red will have the same CRI score (average) as one w/ 100 on all patches but zero blue..
since various patches sort of "work together" the above is probably not technically possible but gives one an idea..

post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old Today, 01:27 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Its from 2016

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode