T5 vs LED - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why not both? lol

Greggz, ipkiss, burr740 and 2 others like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Yes, that's how life works - we all have our preferences when it comes to stuff like this.

I don't believe anyone is looking very hard if they can't find amazing tanks lit with LEDs. Click right on over here to the Tank Journals section. More than 13,000 journals. Spend a little time there and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
This all comes down to personal preference of course. You might think a tank is amazing be it T5 or LED I might think it sucks.

I like "dutch" tanks and I have yet to see in my opinion too many great dutch tanks full of demanding stems grown with LED..

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #18 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
This all comes down to personal preference of course. You might think a tank is amazing be it T5 or LED I might think it sucks.

I like "dutch" tanks and I have yet to see in my opinion too many great dutch tanks full of demanding stems grown with LED..
Agreed.

If you look at the last 5 years of the AGA Dutch category, 14 of the 15 1st/2nd/3rd place winners use T5HO.

Basically all of what I would consider to be the Dutch masters use T5HO. It's the rule not the exception.

Now that being said, no question there are loads of great tanks that use LED. I get it, it's mainstream now. It just seems all of the highest end "Dutch" type tanks don't. And like @slipfinger that happens to be where my interest lies.

And my tank is in no way Dutch, as I've just got a fish tank with plants, but the tanks I seek out and learn from are very much "Dutch" influenced, and utilize T5HO by a wide margin.
varanidguy likes this.

---
---

post #19 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:51 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I think a lot of the folks who win are also, generally, longtime scapers or scapers with decent experience under their belt. They're using equipment they've had for quite some time. Would imagine most of them haven't yet seen a need to switch - in part because of their own preferences - and wouldn't want to switch until equipment starts failing or there's a major financial advantage.

It really does take a lot of practice to get good, so it makes sense to me that few newcomers win. As new folks gain experience, I bet we'll start to see more winners with LED setups. As tank lights improve on the LED front, that can only mean good things for us all.

Regardless, I'm always impressed with what people produce in their tank journals. Encourage everyone to spend time scrolling through them when they get the chance because it's really enjoyable. Also a fun way to track advances in lighting tech without having to buy it.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #20 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, everyone with a tank journal is hoping that someone chimes in and says, "that's my goal", or "how did you do that?".

l love this forum.

Cheers

PS: I am being enthusiastic and not sarcastic.
ipkiss likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

I really like LED's and think they have improved greatly in the past little while. They need to go a little farther for large tanks though. Nature scape with all green plants LED would be my top choice I think.

Pros
Love the shimmer
Tuning spectrum
Integrated timers
DIMMING!!
Low heat

Cons
Hot spots on 4ft + tanks due to fixture size
Needing multiple fixtures on 4ft + tanks
Spectrum has only been figured out by a small percentage of companies.
Cost (I'm cheap)
Sorry to say but alot of fixtures are just ugly.
Mounting options are limited, no I don't want a fixture sitting right on top of a large rimless tank with legs.
Spread is horrible.

Love the colour spectrum of ADA, Twinstar, ONF. On small tanks the ONF and Twinstar look really good with legs and look okay so close to the top. On a 4ft tank I don't think they sell a product that fits even with multiples.

ADA is the cats meow for spectrum and looks great with 2 on a 4 ft. No way I could ever justify the price though. Even with all the good they still have weak spread with hot spots solely because their pendants.

AI, EcoTech, and GHL all look great with their mounting systems, still suffer from spread issues and I'm not sold that their spectrum is pleasing to me yet. I feel the freshwater versions are not the focus and just miss the mark. They are quite capable to be hung well above the tank which I like.

I really like the aesthetic's of the Giesemann futura s freshwater. Full width fixture to match the size of the tank, looks more like a traditional T5 fixture. No idea about anything else with it but that's what a 4ft tank LED fixture should look like to me.

Unfortunately, I still would choose a $200 used t5ho (dimmable preferred) that some reef guy is offloading because he's forking out big money to go LED.

With all that said I really am not well versed in LED's and would like any advice from the more experienced. What would you recommend given my pro/cons, don't worry about price because the used T5 is still cheaper.

Tank is 4ft x 2ft, high light, has to be sexy.
Greggz likes this.

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Tank is 4ft x 2ft, high light, has to be sexy.

Define "sexy"..
Steampunk

modern
Victorian
Tech (bells and whistles )

https://orphek.com/atlantik-v4-plant...ums-led-light/
Good thing:
2x4 fw should be no problem in intensity and coverage.
Bad thing: Overpriced..

2-3 AI Primes ca look sexy.. hung right..
Lot cheaper (but not cheap) than Orphek.
note AI Primes just released new models.

Thing is both these brands have such a wide latitude of look it's really hard to say that the color isn't to ones liking..
https://imgur.com/gallery/gBa9B

Hendy8888 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I wish sb reef light had just a little better color. What I see in pics always looks too neony....or something. Those units are getting close to being a good show tank light, some good tanks already have them
Yeah, I was contemplating giving the SB Reef offering a shot on my 40 breeder, but I'm not completely sold one of their units would be better than simply replacing one of my fixtures with a second Fluval 3.0, and with the proper shopping, the Fluval is about 1/3 of the cost (give or take).

|
post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
LED's will eventually rule the aquarium world.
They are not commercially where they should be right now.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Define "sexy"..
Steampunk

modern
Victorian
Tech (bells and whistles )

https://orphek.com/atlantik-v4-plant...ums-led-light/
Good thing:
2x4 fw should be no problem in intensity and coverage.
Bad thing: Overpriced..

2-3 AI Primes ca look sexy.. hung right..
Lot cheaper (but not cheap) than Orphek.
note AI Primes just released new models.

Thing is both these brands have such a wide latitude of look it's really hard to say that the color isn't to ones liking..
https://imgur.com/gallery/gBa9B

https://youtu.be/XkxAcDI8RNQ
Thanks jeffkrol, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I would say in this case it means modern to match the stand.

I'm going to highlight my personal flaws in each product not to be argumentative but to really see if there is a perfect choice for my application.

Orphik Atlantik v4

I want to love it but mounting and overall look seems off. Dare I say its too small of a profile for it's shape? Here is an example of a local reef (Elder1945 on reef2reef) that I think the fixture fails to add anything to the overall look and makes it look bottom heavy.

It is clearly a salt water fixture that they made a freshwater version, the single freshwater picture on their site trying to sell me is very unimpressive colour wise. It is very hard to find any examples of users or even company tanks using the old Google search. I have a suspicion the reds fall flat but couldn't find any support for my claim because it seems no one uses them for freshwater.

Everything else about it checks my boxes though.

AI prime

Red's are flat, another reef light that they tweaked to have a freshwater version. The lotus and other reds in their promotional tank you linked are completely washed out.

Filipe Oliveria used them on Aquafloras 1400L show tank and others, while getting better they arn't in the same league as ADA and Twinstars colour. They do give a nice natural look that some may perfer.

They defentantly look sexy with the mounting bars from the back of the tank. I like the aesthetics but again hot spots inside the tank.

Radion's

I follow most of Dimtry's builds ever since I found his reef tanks on my local aquarium forum (absolutely amazing). This freshwater build that EcoTech clearly sponsors highlights the misunderstanding of these companies when it comes to planted tanks.

Just like their product they chose a reef expert to showcase their "plant" light. I found it hard to believe that a company of EcoTech's stature wouldn't want to find professional aquascapers to sponsor tank builds using their lights just like AI does.

As far as I can tell Radion's are very similar to the Primes just black instead of white. They suffer from the same issues, as you can see in the video washed out reds and highly visible hot spots under each puck.

That tank looks to be aquascaped in the centre to help offset the uneven light distribution. I was surprised by the PAR values he was saying and assume the lights are not on full. I assume those pucks are very strong and maybe would give 150+ PAR directly under them all day long at that height. I'm sure they can?

I have to add that leaving that protein film on in the video really spoke volumes to the inexperience EcoTech has with planted tanks. Nothing against Dimtry, you can tell he's learning a ton and has done an amazing job on that tank. My take away is that Ecotech offers a reef light adjusted to "grow" plants. I want them to put in R&D to create a 100% plant light just like they have done for reefs. It could be a truly amazing product.

Okay I'm done whining and have come to the realization I want Twinstar and AI/EcoTech to have a baby. Colour of Twinstar and power/adjustability of AI/EcoTech.

That BML on Dennis' tank has both colour and power but fixture aesthetics....it's lacking.

post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tough crowd..

UNSTitan..
Titan 1 Premium Aquarium RGB LED Light For Planted Tanks - Ultum Nature Systems

Except for the adj. part..
I number crunched the NEW IA Prime.. It's pretty good w/ red and not sure one can go totally off photos..

RGB only fixtures will always look punchier due to lack of intermediate tones or white "washout"..

You're moving to DIY..
more aluminum, lose the suspension bar.....

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Tough crowd..

Haha, you bet! Don't get me wrong, I think these are all amazing lights but for the price of any new light it better meet all my needs.

That UNS looks sweet, for my purposes it's the same as the ADA. Would it kill them both to make a 4 ft version? Not to mention no integrated timer and dimmer?!? What year is this?

I was really close to making a DIY led years ago, I think it would be a great project. There's lots of quality builds but very few that I would say are commercially polished looking. Instead I picked up a used Sfiligoi T5HO and gave it a coat of paint to match my stand. I do wish it had integrated timers and dimming though.

I agree LED's are the future, if those RGB fixtures were twice as bright with a dimmer and came in 2ft,3ft,4ft sizes they can easily replace a t5ho on any tank. It's only a matter of time.

post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ADA RGB

not sure which led unit this guy is using

pretty sure this is a mix of DIY and Twinstar or Chihiros

think he was using UNS Titans on this

https://www.instagram.com/p/B31VvpTp..._web_copy_link

greenaqua has a bunch of nice tanks under leds, occasionally there'll be a t5ho set up iirc
https://www.youtube.com/user/viktorlantos/videos

Here's my tank under the old 16" SBReefs. Video was shot on a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-WX50

the aquascaping illuminati has been holding IIAC and CIAC in higher regards than IAPLC as of late

Quote:
Seems they don't (or I missed it) post their spectrum anymore..

But I did find this thanks to the infinite memory of the internet..Need more channels and really, one can do w/ less if you use better diodes..
Here's the one for their old 16" model

other info in my spread sheet in my sig

edit: there's a UNS clone or UNS is a re-brand of the WEEKAQUA ARK style by Zhuhai on alibaba

personally, I'm just waiting for more people to produce LED T5HO retrofit bulbs lol. get the advantage of both types
rzn7z7 likes this.

Last edited by SingAlongWithTsing; 10-26-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: ...
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
personally, I'm just waiting for more people to produce LED T5HO retrofit bulbs lol. get the advantage of both types
Henry your tank looks great in the video above. Very, very nice.

And no doubt there are lots of equally great tanks using LED. That is not in dispute. The reason I sometimes jump in to defend to T5HO is that there are those who think that there is no other option than LED. The fact is there are still loads of serious planted tankers/aquascapers who choose to use T5HO.

I think @Hendy8888 did an excellent job of summing up the differences. Believe me, if I thought I could duplicate what I have with T5HO, I would do it. Like I said earlier, I love gadgets and see the appeal that is for sure. No doubt to me that some day I will be using them. To me, they just have to get better.

So while this topic is always interesting, there really is no right or wrong answer. You will never convince a T5HO user that LED's are as good, and the same goes the other way. The happy LED user doesn't understand why anyone would use old technology like T5HO. In the end, makes little difference to me which anyone uses, it's the results that count.

And we can take turns showing beautiful tanks with both all day, and you have some good examples above of LED tanks. Just so folks know, loads of T5HO tanks out there as well.......just a quick sampling. I could do this all day. They are easy to find. Not to mention a bunch right here on this forum too.

Paulina Zagórowska

Narcis Bratulescu

Marian Sterian

Buculei Romeo

Apetrei Mihai

Adrian Botoncea

---
---
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is a good thread, for me, at this particular moment. I have been using LED’s for about 9 years, beginning with the mainly reef-driven ones that were initially the focus (great algae growers!) and, for the last several years, have been using a combination of a Beamswork DA FSPEC and two GroBeam 600’s. I’m watching what appears to be an even greater improvement in just the last year or so. However, I am now at a crossroads and am throwing the T5’s back into consideration (and I carelessly threw my old reflector out about 8 years ago).

I recently noted a significant drop in output in the Beamswork (so gradual that I missed it until I took some PAR readings recently) and have concluded that these lower priced models are risky. So, I’m looking at either a Twinstar S or Fluval 3.0 - maybe a combination. However, although it’s not dramatically noticeable, I’ve grown a little weary of the shimmer effect. Plus, I’m getting a general impression that, despite LED dispersion advances, the T5’s may still provide the best bath of light, but I've not had any difficulty with plant performance when my LED's were at their peak performance.

Although pretty pictures don’t help me (they are usually the peak of a brief moment when everything is perfect), I do like the friendly comparisons that are being offered and would be interested in other angles that anyone has to offer. In the meantime, although I am leaning toward the above two LED’s, I would be interested in your offer, @Greggz (and other T5 users), to PM me about your recommendations for T5 bulbs, reflectors and bulb arrangements.

Keep this thread going!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode