T5 vs LED - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Suspended

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTIA View Post
I'm surprised you would find 65K bulbs yellow.., with CRI 85 (ge ecolux) I used I always found it very crisp which Is why interspersed Sylvania grolux in between to keep visible lumens down and see p my loaches less irradiated

Tubes are different..
Current ones use RGB phosphors. LED's use a yellow phosphor w/ blue emitter..
might as well mention the issue w/ CRI first:
Same CRI can look completely different since it's an average of at least 8 samples..

One of the reasons I always lean high CRI for LED.. eliminates that possibility..for the most part.
Good thing is like early florescent the market is "learning" about color tints in LED's

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by torhav View Post
All four strings can be dimmed separately, so I hope I can find a setting that appeals to me. If that does not work out, I will change the 3500K with blues.

You'll need the 3500k's for sunset/sunrise.. IF you want that..
None of the other combos left really do it justice though 4000K isn't bad..

Besides 3500k is red rich with usually a smidge of red phosphor..

Though there is no real "right" answer..I'd consider changing out the 4000k's for something like 8000k or luxeon 6500k's..

for fun led vs tube vs plant action spectrum
Greggz and eXa like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-06-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
How is everyone keeping their tanks cools while running the T5 fixtures? I have a 6 bulb 48 inch agrobrite setup that's warming the water to 81°F when on and low 70s when off. These swings is causing my crypts to melt and I've already lost a few fish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #183 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
How is everyone keeping their tanks cools while running the T5 fixtures? I have a 6 bulb 48 inch agrobrite setup that's warming the water to 81°F when on and low 70s when off. These swings is causing my crypts to melt and I've already lost a few fish.

I had installed 100mm computer fans 1 exhaust at one end intake at the other end. they came on when lights came on. no heater needed

On my newest tank I don't need a heater. Comer summer I will dial back lighting times uv will be off at night.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows

post #184 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post

I cant stand heat so my house is always colder than my tanks so they're always heated..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

Hi

Just the thread I was looking for.

I currently have a Beanworks Viva grow on my 2 foot 15 gallon tank, nice light, When my other LED finally quit while I was waiting for the Vivagrow to arrive I borrowed a friends spare fluro light, it had a single Aqua one Tropical 20 w T8 and to be honest I actually loved the way everything looked under the light.

In fact I loved it so much I have a question, Is one 20w tube enough? the housing has room for 2 tubes and what combination of tubes would you use?

This is the tank, sorry it just had a bit of a prune and water change
https://imgur.com/T8bz16G
Quesenek likes this.
post #186 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 05:23 PM
eXa

Nice discussion, lots of good info etc

Got me thinking a little bit. Ive been using chihiros on some of my tanks, which have 8000k white leds and nothing more. I just fixed one that was water damaged and noticed its nothing fancy when it comes to the rigid led strips they are using. So now im thinking about removing some portion of the white led strip (can be cut between every 3 leds as all other strips) and adding some 660nm red led strip instead. If i can find some. The 8000k white leds already contain alot of blue (tho lacking cyan as pretty much all white leds do). At the same time ill probably add frosting to the cover to blend the light more, and silcone to waterproof them.
HairyNoseWombat likes this.
post #187 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

T5 vs LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXa View Post
Nice discussion, lots of good info etc

Got me thinking a little bit. Ive been using chihiros on some of my tanks, which have 8000k white leds and nothing more. I just fixed one that was water damaged and noticed its nothing fancy when it comes to the rigid led strips they are using. So now im thinking about removing some portion of the white led strip (can be cut between every 3 leds as all other strips) and adding some 660nm red led strip instead. If i can find some. The 8000k white leds already contain alot of blue (tho lacking cyan as pretty much all white leds do). At the same time ill probably add frosting to the cover to blend the light more, and silcone to waterproof them.

You can get grow strip (pink) leds on ebay sometimes.

When I ran t5Ho I always ran a few grolux pink bulbs , grew plants and I liked the colour tone with them and 65k's

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
post #188 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:03 AM
eXa

Yes, I would prefer straight only 660nm red, but I have actually ordered 5m of that led strip as a compromise, chose 5:1 since I don't really need the blue ones at all. So will try that atleast.
post #189 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_rob View Post
Currently I run LED lights on my tanks, AI prime freshwater on 1 and an SBreef on the other. They work fine but it seems like all the really great tanks on here are using T5HO

I am planning on buying a 72 gallon tank from Waterbox and thought I might switch to T5HO. That is until I started looking for bulbs. I'll be damned if I can find anywhere that has a good selection in stock
Was thinking a purple, a truelumen flora, power veg 660 and one more but I couldn't find a single source to get all

Add on to that I don't REALLY know what I'm looking for and I'm stuck

Where do y'all get bulbs? Any recommendations? I've also considered trying harrisseeds.com/products/41698-4-active-grow-4-tube-red-bloom-spectrum-t5-ho-led-fixture with 2 widespectrum but then I'm right back at LEDs and that kind of defeats the purpose...
I bought a 24" used dual bulb high output t5 24 watt each bulb from a local guy on facebook marketplace for 10 bucks used. He had new ones for 30 but not high output. Then on amazon I got a 2 pack of 24 watt HO 6500 bulbs for about 5 bucks free shipping. Not sure how that was possible but it was a great solution. The plants love it and zero algae in that tank. However, in my LED tank , I can not seem to rid myself of algae. That one is near the window though even though I have a dark curtain I'm sure light gets through. I prefer my T5 light to my LED. I am not even really sure why . Maybe I like the modularity, I can change one bulb to another temperature, or turn off only one. It may use more energy, but I still believe by visual evaluation of the tanks I have that plants like it better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode