Light recommendation for a 36" planted tank with C02 injection LED/CF - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Light recommendation for a 36" planted tank with C02 injection LED/CF

Hello All,

I have a 4x t5-HO 39W unit that needs replacement. I have a 36" long, 24" deep, 21" high rimless tank (57G) with a light suspension hanger.
I've got the current light set to 26" from the substrate.
I would like to have medium/high for the carpeted plants.

I want to have consistent quality light vs wiz bang features, aside from being able to have the lights come on and off via timer.

What would you recommend for LED?
What would you recommend for CF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool, do you have one of these? This is the first time I've seen this - It's been a while since I was shopping for lights so everything is shiny and new, LOL

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Cool, do you have one of these? This is the first time I've seen this - It's been a while since I was shopping for lights so everything is shiny and new, LOL
https://barrreport.com/threads/sbree...ar-data.15540/

no, I build my own...It's just one of the cheaper high powered

better spectrum LED lights available..

Considering your starting parameters, 156W t5's, less common 36" 'length and wider width than 14"-ish is the "best fit" AFAICT.
The more common (and cheaper) strips light you'd generally need 2 of the higher output ones..
It's not without it warts though but power isn't one of them.
varanidguy likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! Any CF recommendations? If I were to DIY, where should I look for LEDs?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Thank you! Any CF recommendations? If I were to DIY, where should I look for LEDs?
CF's's are too inefficient for my taste.. and I've really never had much personal luck on the "household" level w/ them..
That ballast in the hot zone kind of thing..

LED AC floods and bulbs aren't much better either..

both are sort of hit/miss thing..

LED DIY is a broad topic...
One can thermal glue a bunch of 10 cent "Bridgelux" 3W egg diode onto a hunk of aluminum as easily as putting
premium COB's on.....

There are a lot of threads here re: them..
Building is a want not a need..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Interesting: I don't recall having ever noticed this one before. How would rank this vis-a-vis a Twinstar S series or a Fluval 3.0 (ignoring price)?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Interesting: I don't recall having ever noticed this one before. How would rank this vis-a-vis a Twinstar S series or a Fluval 3.0 (ignoring price)?

Besides the enormous wattage differences..(363w (121x3w diodes) though this is probably a lie, 'real" diode wattage is in the line of 240-ish watts, smaller units have somewhat the same "lie" but I believe Fluval gives real diode wattage) the main difference is the sbreef uses lenses making it a better fit for deeper tanks..

None would be what "I" would build (or have built in the past) due to a few nits here and there.

Each one has strengths and weaknesses..None of these can do proper realistic sunrise/sunset I believe.

Fluval is waterproof w/ good warranty..

All work..
Sometimes it's as simple as a "tone" for some people..

Aqua sky RGB upper right I believe.

Both fluval and sb reef are adj. to taste..
sbreef is just an american company that fronts for Chinese light board suppliers so to speak..w/ a more fw tailored spectrum than the run of the mill Chinese black box..

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
None would be what "I" would build (or have built in the past) due to a few nits here and there.
Thanks for the extended comparison.

Since I donít care about ramping (donít believe it offers any value), Iím probably left with spectrum customization (which they all seem to offer) and PAR (is it purely a function of wattage?).

Given that the PAR values, customization and tone can be similar, maybe the warranty strength wins. How about light spread: do you see any significant difference in efficiency?

...or maybe I'll just wait for Lights-by-Krol to appear in the vendor list.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the extended comparison.

Since I don’t care about ramping (don’t believe it offers any value), I’m probably left with spectrum customization (which they all seem to offer) and PAR (is it purely a function of wattage?).

Given that the PAR values, customization and tone can be similar, maybe the warranty strength wins. How about light spread: do you see any significant difference in efficiency?

...or maybe I'll just wait for Lights-by-Krol to appear in the vendor list.

well I'm more of consultant and let others do the work..

Most little (.5W) SMD led's are hitting 100Lumens/Watt.
The bigger ones (3W) well it's mostly a crap shoot. Generally more than 50 but less than 100 (guesstimate).

Really need to tailor a choice on tank size, look and goals..

The only lights I sort of give a full thumbs up to is the Radion XR15 gen4 fw..
Hit "my" checkpoints on everything but price and not "sold" on puck style..

PAR/Function/Spectrum/Quality

AI Primes are second.

Note that I personally "want" warm white/cool white/red(red, deep red) green(green cyan) blue (royal, reg (cyan) channels.
Optional Violet/UV/Far Red so.. none really check every box..

Oh dimmable .. Never would do non-dimmable fixture be it "aftermarket"/hack/included..

You don't want ramp function but it's really a "luxury" that would probably grow on you..
Forgive the poor vid..

Notice no fish freak out as the lights come up even at a rapid (test)rate..
Deep red photos poorly btw,,

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

@jeffkrol

Yup ...I looked at the Radion a little while back and had trouble believing that a circular distribution was going to provide even distribution. Also found a review - somewhere - where they said it is a problem. Of course, they do offer a diffuser that supposedly neutralizes this issue, but I haven't looked for any independent confirmation.

Dimmable, one way or anther, is imperative for me, also ...just not ramping as a requirement.

Now, that's a well-lit tank. Do you have to wear sunglasses when you enter the room?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@jeffkrol

Yup ...I looked at the Radion a little while back and had trouble believing that a circular distribution was going to provide even distribution. Also found a review - somewhere - where they said it is a problem. Of course, they do offer a diffuser that supposedly neutralizes this issue, but I haven't looked for any independent confirmation.

Dimmable, one way or anther, is imperative for me, also ...just not ramping as a requirement.

Now, that's a well-lit tank. Do you have to wear sunglasses when you enter the room?

200gal above isn't mine..

Just designed the lights..
Here is a reconfiguration of it..

Light uses reflectors so glare isn't as much of an issue as one thinks. I'd have tocheck that. Sort of doesn't look like it but that was on the build list..
80 degree-ish reflectors (just went through email they are reflectors not lenses... Diodes could shine through them I bit I suppose..

Believe he runs it around 60% I'd have to look.
A couple of years (built 2016) running w/ only a power supply fan failure.

Don't need to worry about diode fade for awhile..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-12-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: edit

Tags
led, led aquarium lights, recommendation, t5ho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode