Fluval 3.0 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 3.0

Tank is 30” L, 12” W, 18” H. Will a 24 inch fluval 3.0 reach the substrate in the corners for a 30 inch long tank and light up the whole tank? Asking before I make the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:10 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Tons of people who actually have this model are about to opine but I have 4 tanks on 2.0'a and can give you my 2 cents. As far as I understand, and I may be corrected, the 3.0 is more timed and computerized than it is more lumens output. So having tinkered with the 2.0 lights for a several years now, they grow plants. They are pretty darn great.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not the same size situation but I have a 40B with the 36" on it. I ended up physically raising the light up about 1.5-2" do to the width of the 40B. This allows all 4 corners to get good light. In my case it is still plenty of light at less then 75% which is the highest I will go due to low tech. I am still playing with that part of it.

My plants grow but so does the algae.

The programming available now is pretty awesome as far as timing/intensity, not a huge fan of the app interface but it works.
Econde likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Quint Are u heavily planted ? And what’s substrate if u don’t mind me asking. Just curious so I can make moves to try to get the least algae I can.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have sakrete commercial medium sand (basically PFS), I would say medium planted maybe a little more.

Had been doing really good with algae then summer time hit and I was gone for week or two at a time. There is one glass door that let in a bunch of light and turned the tank into a green soup cage. Took a week or so to get that under control and back to crystal clear water again however during that period the plants suffered and the other algaes dug in. Currently battling them now. Making progress but its slow.

Take care of algae early, the first sign of it try to get on top of it. Makes things easier. Or do CO2, I just dont want to go down that route right now.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Tons of people who actually have this model are about to opine but I have 4 tanks on 2.0'a and can give you my 2 cents. As far as I understand, and I may be corrected, the 3.0 is more timed and computerized than it is more lumens output. So having tinkered with the 2.0 lights for a several years now, they grow plants. They are pretty darn great.
Definitely more customization. In terms of light output, I've been reading that the 2.0 has more power. Please feel free to correct me on this.

I have the 3.0 on a 36 x 12 x 12 raised 6 inches over on 65% output. Medium planted tank and had a slight bout with hair algae, but I spot treated with Excel. Now week 6 it's been relatively algae free. Feel free to have a look in my signature, there are pictures of how my light is mounted over my tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Definitely more customization. In terms of light output, I've been reading that the 2.0 has more power. Please feel free to correct me on this.

I have the 3.0 on a 36 x 12 x 12 raised 6 inches over on 65% output. Medium planted tank and had a slight bout with hair algae, but I spot treated with Excel. Now week 6 it's been relatively algae free. Feel free to have a look in my signature, there are pictures of how my light is mounted over my tank.
I've got a 3.0 on my home built 36x12x12 river tank sitting on the rim at 100% power. Man, that thing is bright! Wanting to get the algae growing for my hillstream loaches.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
I've been reading that the 2.0 has more power. Please feel free to correct me on this.
OK.. 3 measurements..

Quote:
If you go to planted tank forum, it’s actually very close. It has a better spectrum while having a nearly identical par.

Quote:

Aquarium co op did say it was lower, he got a 27 from the 3.0 and a 32 from the 2.0. Both would put you in the same light range of low/medium.

Quote:
-You mean Aquarium Coop? That’s a really poor sensor he’s using.
I’ve tested it with a Licor and the output is the same as a 3.0. Which correlates nicely with what the guy using the Seneye got as well.

Pick one..

http://guppy-fish.com/reviews-fluval-3-0-led/
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@jeffkrol Nice, thank you for the clarification!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 PM
Planted Member

Returned my 3.0 for my 29g because it left dark spots on the top left/right. 24" is too short for a 29g which is 30"L, IMO. At substrate level it was fine. I have the latest Finnex now and am plenty happy with it.

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
Returned my 3.0 for my 29g because it left dark spots on the top left/right. 24" is too short for a 29g which is 30"L, IMO. At substrate level it was fine. I have the latest Finnex now and am plenty happy with it.
Thanks for the feedback on that. Which finnex did u buy?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ22 View Post
Thanks for the feedback on that. Which finnex did u buy?

Sorry not them but the good thing is Finnex makes 30" lights..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPP8VJ6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Somewhere I read "PAR" of these is about 20-30% less than the Fluval BUT don't quote me.
some state differently..
doesn't matter to much if you use a 24" light vs a true 30" light.. it generally will equal out w/ similar types (i.e diode type)
Quote:
The Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 CC light sits about 16.5 inches from the substrate and it gave me a reading of 40 PAR at the substrate.

The Fluval 3.0 sits about 14.5 inches from the substrate and it gave me a reading of 114 PAR! Nearly three times what the Finnex is capable of.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...cc-seneye.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I am still at somewhat of a loss on Cory's test with the 3.0 because my Seneye has it SIGNIFICANTLY higher insofar as PAR output. Even accounting for his deeper tank, I feel like it should be much higher than an output of 27 μmol.

|
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@jeffkrol How does that finnex do with illuminating whole tank and growing plants ?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 AM
YTP
Algae Grower

I also would like to go with a Fluval 3.0 on a 29g and am trying to figure out the sizing without having to deal with dark spots. I would likely be raising the light about 3" above the top of the tank, and I'm hoping the extra height would help improve coverage of the corners without reducing PAR too much as I would also be using a glass lid.

I can't decide if I would rather just go with the 24" version and hope the coverage is good enough when raised, or just go with the 36" version and put some electrical tape over the extra LEDs that hang over the edge of the tank. The 24" would certainly look better without the tacky overhang but I'm concerned with coverage even if it is raised.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode