Best option to light 72" tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best option to light 72" tank

I know this will be pricey, but I dont want to get to carzy.

I just picked this up off FB market place. Can't wait to get it up and running!!

I plan to have Co2, dose ferts daily via dosing pumps. fully planted, fully (most likely overstocked) with fish.

The tank is 170 gallon custom rimless. it 72x29x21.5" it appears the water depth will be 19". sump is made from 90 gallon.

Anyone local to the metro Detroit area of Michigan have a larger planted tank willing to let me stop by and chat for a bit?

Thanks,

Dennis

Last edited by Jasper302; 09-23-2019 at 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:42 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Consider pendants like Orphek perhaps. If there's a center brace maybe 2 36" Fluval 3.0s?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Consider pendants like Orphek perhaps. If there's a center brace maybe 2 36" Fluval 3.0s?

Thanks for the suggestion! No center brace.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yeah, that's going to mean pendants. I mean, unless you want to find a 72" LED strip. Of which I only know of pretty sorry ones. (not saying there aren't some good ones out there)

But I had some reef LED pendants that were amazing ten years ago, I can only imagine what is out there today!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

These have been relatively successful..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF07EC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f....692353/page-2
You would need at least 2 and at 72" they have a tendency to bow a bit.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ctrum-led.html

Cheap LED floods are OK too..

@ 29" you are 2x wider than what most strip lights are designed for
Also most sq pendants are sort of optimized for 24" sq pattern..

Nothing some height increase wouldn't solve..

Ideally 8 AI Primes (2 rows of 4) is like the high end of lighting.. but not the Cadillac..
2 rows of 3 work sort of ok..
$1200-$1600 worth of lighting..

2 of these is $600 plus..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...ter-plant.html

3 or 4 "sideways"..
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...ter-plant.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
This will be dependent on what you intend to keep, budget, features, and scape. I have a 180 (6x2x2) sumped with a doser and once I finish plumbing CO2. For about a year now, I have been using a 4ft plated plus 24/7 along the back left (24/7 mode), a 3ft fluval 2.0 front left, and 2ft fluval 2.0 caddy cornered on the right. This will be changed to 6ft of 24/7 along the back and 5ft of fluval 2.0 along the front once I finish the canopy. It has worked fine for a low light setup. If you wanted higher light but cheap, there are 4ft 8 bulb t5s on amazon for $180. You would need to supplement on 1 or both sides if high light plants. I have a lot of driftwood in my tank, so a light source across the middle of the tank would shade too much. AI light are always an option. If you wanted amazing shimmer, there's kessil (but the colors/reds are lacking on the old models, not sure on 360X), there are ecotech radion gen 4s.

I can post pics later when the lights are on if you would like. Tank is looking a little rough due to near 100% water change and plants out of water with wet paper towels for a day due to basement flooding and having to move tank for carpet replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

subscribing to this thread as I am in the same boat with my 6ft x 2ft x 2ft 180G rimless.

for myself I am trying to decide between 2x twinstar 900s or 4x Chihiros RGB (90cm) or 3x AI freshwater prime.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:07 AM
Planted Member

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa...white-usa-cnd/
Program able and fully adjustable
With built in WiFi connection.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:40 PM

New to the forum here. But also looking into lighting for 180 gal tank. Saw that current makes a 72 Inch plant led fixture. Any one see these, or try them?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

On a tank that size, providing the money was able to be spent, Id be looking at the offerings from SB Reef. Big box lights and their larger models are able to cover a lot of tank. After seeing some of the PAR data on the Barr Report forums, it would likely still give you generous intensity at the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
This will be dependent on what you intend to keep, budget, features, and scape. I have a 180 (6x2x2) sumped with a doser and once I finish plumbing CO2. For about a year now, I have been using a 4ft plated plus 24/7 along the back left (24/7 mode), a 3ft fluval 2.0 front left, and 2ft fluval 2.0 caddy cornered on the right. This will be changed to 6ft of 24/7 along the back and 5ft of fluval 2.0 along the front once I finish the canopy. It has worked fine for a low light setup. If you wanted higher light but cheap, there are 4ft 8 bulb t5s on amazon for $180. You would need to supplement on 1 or both sides if high light plants. I have a lot of driftwood in my tank, so a light source across the middle of the tank would shade too much. AI light are always an option. If you wanted amazing shimmer, there's kessil (but the colors/reds are lacking on the old models, not sure on 360X), there are ecotech radion gen 4s.

I can post pics later when the lights are on if you would like. Tank is looking a little rough due to near 100% water change and plants out of water with wet paper towels for a day due to basement flooding and having to move tank for carpet replacement.

Id like to see some pics.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper302 View Post
Id like to see some pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode