• 2 Post By Streetwise
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What light should I get?

I'm looking for a full spectrum LED light that will be capable of providing high light in an aquarium that's 36" x 18" x 18", although, I want to be able to dim the light for the option of not growing high light plants, and I want it to have some sort of ramp up/down timer so the brightness gradually increases/decreases throughout the day. What should I get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

I use a brand called Chihiros and this comes with a light controller that can pretty much take care of everything that you want. Check if there is a dealer of this brand at your location or online.

On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Chihiros/node/10066293011
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Banned

The current USA lights are very good. I don't have one myself but they are very popular. They have a remote and are dimmable. I think people actually grow some corals on them, so high output for sure.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is my opinion:

Fluval Planted 3.0. Pro mode on the bluetooth app has ten set points for your photo periods. You can tune every availible color level for each set point. I run three photo periods with two siestas, and a bit of nighttime blue, before a dark night. I don't think I even go past 50% on any color, since I run dirt-tech.

You can make this light do whatever you want. I would even say that this light and the app helped me beat BBA, and make my plants out-compete the algae.

I'm sure there are other great lights, but this is a gear choice I don't feel like I have to keep window shopping on.

I feel the same way about Top Fin MF10 powerhead sponge filters.

Cheers,

Jason
Seattle_Aquarist and Econde like this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 09-12-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Details
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

I’d go with 2 Fluval 3.0 if I was doing that size tank. Good front/back coverage, can be run in tandem or each on its own program:time:ramp. Each lights color and intensity can be set as needed.
varanidguy and Streetwise like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

The tank size you’re looking at is basically a 40 breeder, in most cases, two lights are necessary for front to back spread. I agree with Dave in that two Fluval 3.0’s check every box you’re asking for.

SB Reef makes some extremely powerful lights as well, you’d probably only need one, but they are a little more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

I would do the Fluval 3.0 or the Current Plus Pro. I went back and forth between the two and settled on the Current. I run the RGB near 100% and the white about 30% and it is more than adequate for lower light plants. The nice thing with the Current is if your power goes out while you are away it remembers the settings when it goes back on. You are locked into two 15 min ramps while the Fluval has better flexibility for ramping. The Fluval just has pink and blue diodes and mixes them to simulate other colors while the Current has true RGB. The Fluval has a few different white lights temps. which is nice. The Current has a few mode settings that you probably don't need and two programmable settings that operate outside of the timer settings. You have to push "resume" to get back to the timer setting. I guess the big difference is if you want to use and app or not to control the light. Some people posted that the Current does not ramp down to go completely off. That is incorrect. You simply zero out the intensity settings for "night time" and it ramps down to full darkness. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you sure about the Fluval 3.0 diodes?

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Are you sure about the Fluval 3.0 diodes?
They don't have a green channel...

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/wp...lors-CA-EN.png
not sure what the "pink" channel is but most would be either RGB w/ green turned way down (all 3 colors on one diode) or just r/b..

May be a pink diode though.. ??? As you can see "pinks" not "native"..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-17-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I slightly misread the post that I replied to previously, but I think we can still add some detail to this thread for folks doing light shopping.

I will try to find one my photos with reflections of the LEDs if that would help. I don't see any green LEDs. I see three different shades of white to yellow, some blue, and some pink, which seems to line up with the app controls. I think on the Nanos, it is a 9 x 7 grid. I feel like Picard after staring into the lights and counting.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 09-17-2019 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Picard
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I think I slightly misread the post that I replied to previously, but I think we can still add some detail to this thread for folks doing light shopping.

I will try to find one my photos with reflections of the LEDs if that would help. I don't see any green LEDs. I see three different shades of white to yellow, some blue, and some pink, which seems to line up with the app controls. I think on the Nanos, it is a 9 x 7 grid. I feel like Picard after staring into the lights and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nighttime just kicked in, so I can confirm six blue LEDs on the Fluval Nanos.
varanidguy likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode