Fluval 3.0 overkill? - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 3.0 overkill?

Hey all, Finally getting my 80 gallon tank setup. The tank is 24" tall so about 21" from the rim to the substrate. Planning on some Red blood parrots as the main fish so not going too fancy on the planting. Mainly a bunch of Java ferns and Java Moss attached to the caves and such I'm gonna have. And some Amazon swords along the back. Will the Fluval 3.0 be a good choice? Will it be too much seeing as I don't have anything really demanding in my plans? Or with all the control options will I be able to dim it down enough?
Looking for any recommendations. The main reason I like the 3.0 is because of the control options. My work schedule is all over the place so want a light that I can basically set and forget.

Also my tank is 47 1/4" long will the 48-60" model work or do I need to go down to the next lower model?

Thanks all
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You should be able to dial that light in to fit your needs but there are certainly cheaper options that will grow hardy plants. And you could get a timer that would allow on/off periods that suit your schedule. But feedback here and elsewhere has been pretty glowing for the 3.0. As for sizing, I'd go with the 48", but might want to check with Fluval first or Google the actual length. I only suggest against buying a shorter one because I'm not fan of having a light delicately suspended over a tank with long metal rods on each side. Especially if used over open water.
evil8 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 09-11-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: word
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't want to be the one to test it, but the Fluval lights have an IP67 waterproof rating.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the 3.0 but havnt had many of the modern lighting options. It has many options for intensity and obviously control on duration with a good ramp up/down control as well. You do have to have one of those semi smart phones or tablet or something to set it up.

If you go with a cheaper option and a timer just make sure the timer allows enough power to the light in order to not make it dim. I had a 30" light previously on my 40b which the timer I picked up worked fine for the comparable 20" but wouldn't drive the longer light. Big difference once I installed the 3.0 and realized how much brighter it was, made me think so I plugged the previous light into the outlet bypassing the timer and sure enough it was much brighter.

Just my minimal experience.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies! One of the reasons I'm looking at the 3.0 is I find the cheaper options to be very limited here in Canada. Add to that that even the cheaper options I'm still looking at close to $200 by the time I get a light and timer, while the Fluval is $300. Kind of looking at this as a buy once and have it for a while. Not to mention if I decide to go with plant friendlier fish down the road or a new tank I can use this for a nicer planted tank.
Econde likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooflyfisher View Post
Thanks for the replies! One of the reasons I'm looking at the 3.0 is I find the cheaper options to be very limited here in Canada. Add to that that even the cheaper options I'm still looking at close to $200 by the time I get a light and timer, while the Fluval is $300. Kind of looking at this as a buy once and have it for a while. Not to mention if I decide to go with plant friendlier fish down the road or a new tank I can use this for a nicer planted tank.
Yep, as long as it has all those options with intensity and duration this leaves the door open for other plants and other types of setups.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 36" long tank and I purchased the 36"-48" Fluval 3.0. It was almost perfect fit, actually just a bit short. as @Blue Ridge Reef suggested, I too would grab the 48" just to be safe.

Bump:

Kensfish has the 48"-60" light on sale $178.50 USD. Worth checking out IMO.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 09-11-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Deal
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Longest that will fit.

One thing not sure of the depth on your tank but on my 40B its a pretty deep (width looking sideways) so when the light sits right on top it doesnt get the full effect in the corners even with the 36" light. What I did is blocked it up to raise the light about 1.5-2" which gave much better dispersion of the light to the far edges.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fluval 3.0 low tech on My 55 gallon running at 55%, they are a great light you dint need a super strong light if your going low tech I got it because I'll go high tech with my new build (c02 injected), I do have an issue with hair algae though but I don't think it's the light as I've ran the light at different levels with no change in hair algae. This picture was taken in the ramp down phase almost to the point of it going full dark, lights way brighter than this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know what kind of setup you have, but you can also hang the light. This will give you better spread and endless possibilities by adjusting height.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I wouldn't want to be the one to test it, but the Fluval lights have an IP67 waterproof rating.
I've already dropped mine in twice and it's still working!
Econde and sooflyfisher like this.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

for the plants you listed, I feel that a cheap chinese ebay light would do the job for plant survival.
Fluval 3.0 is a nice light, though. Makes the color pop and grows red plants in my smaller setup.

If you are mounting it inside a lid, the 48" probably won't fit. Otherwise, I would definitely go for 48" for a nice evenly distributed light.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Once again, thanks for all the replies. I ordered the light last night as well as an inline heater I been considering. Looking forward to getting them in so I can continue getting the tank set up! I went the 48"-60" size, if I have to rig something up I will though not too worried, I have 3 glass braces across my tank, 1 at each end and one in the center, so it won't fall in! May even just sit the light flat on them if I have to.
Here is also a pic of the tank as it sits now. I have a new Hydor canister for it but using the fluval that I got with it mostly filled with poly batt to clean the water from the sand.

Econde and varanidguy like this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I run two on my 40B turned down to ~40% to get to 35par at the substrate

They realeased a firmware update (I didn't know because the tank has been up sinc January and we lost power last night.. So putting in the settings is where I noticed) that gives you 6 time setpoints to really customize your lighting schedule

Haven't played around with it but definitely enjoyed the light before the update
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
I run two on my 40B turned down to ~40% to get to 35par at the substrate

They realeased a firmware update (I didn't know because the tank has been up sinc January and we lost power last night.. So putting in the settings is where I noticed) that gives you 6 time setpoints to really customize your lighting schedule

Haven't played around with it but definitely enjoyed the light before the update
They have 10 set points I believe. How tall is your 40B and did you measure the light intensity yourself? Just curious, I have my light 6 inches over my tank at about 75%. I have no clue what Par I'm getting.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode