Are there any dimmable LED lights that have a sunrise/sunset to them? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
If I'm looking at the right version, the 48"-60" Fluval 3.0 has 4250 lumens, while the 48" Beamswork DA FSPEC has 5200 lumens for half the price. I've got a 36" Beamswork DA FSPEC on my 55g that has 5000 lumens.

Am I missing something? Looking for a good but reasonably priced light for my new 48" 75 gallon tank that can grow moderate light plants

I am not sure about the numbers on mine (I don;t believe those marketing folks anyway) but I can say my 24-30" Fluval 3.0 is way brighter/far more customizable in light options than my 36" beamswork.

Hey you outside the tank, yeah, can you please set the timer again I am loosing some beauty sleep with this light schedule!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Current USA Pro LED Plus or whatever. The highest end model they make for freshwater comes with a timer that ramps on and off for 15 minutes and the 4 different LED types can be adjusted for brightness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

An easy solution is to go with a dimmable smart plug. If you are happy with your light then why change? Just add more functionality. There are at least 3 different competitors in this niche market but here is one I would get just based on reviews and lack of a hub.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DW3HL...01N106YN7?th=1

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
If I'm looking at the right version, the 48"-60" Fluval 3.0 has 4250 lumens, while the 48" Beamswork DA FSPEC has 5200 lumens for half the price. I've got a 36" Beamswork DA FSPEC on my 55g that has 5000 lumens.

Am I missing something? Looking for a good but reasonably priced light for my new 48" 75 gallon tank that can grow moderate light plants
Hello sir!

I currently use a Beamswork DA FSPEC on my 75 gallon tank. It works! It's growing what I've planted well, however I'm still upgrading it to the Fluval 3.0.

Two reasons:
1) My eyes prefer the warmer color temperature.
2) It is capable of more intensity than the Beamswork, so if I ever decide to grow more demanding plants or add co2, the Fluval is appropriate.

I did measure the Beamswork's PAR with my Seneye, and the reading gave me roughly 40 PAR at 21". That, in my opinion, is pretty good for the price you pay out of a 48" light.

Don't get me wrong, the Beamswork is a good light for how inexpensive it is.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks, @varanidguy. When I researched lights for my 55 it definitely gave the most lumen bang for the buck, despite the cooler light temperature.

So here's a dumb light noob question: what accounts the the increased intensity & better plant growth from the Fluval despite same or lower lumens? Do the diodes on the Fluval have lenses or something to increase the intensity?
varanidguy likes this.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks, @varanidguy. When I researched lights for my 55 it definitely gave the most lumen bang for the buck, despite the cooler light temperature.

So here's a dumb light noob question: what accounts the the increased intensity & better plant growth from the Fluval despite same or lower lumens? Do the diodes on the Fluval have lenses or something to increase the intensity?

Think of it this way:

PAR or photosynthetically active radiation is a spectrum that plants actively use, so lighting that provides more radiation in these spectrums will yield more PAR, and the brighter/more light there is in these spectrums, the higher that value can go up. I think itís because the Fluval uses a better/wider spectrum for plant growth that itís able to yield more PAR. If the Fluval was even brighter (itís pretty bright at full intensity), the value would increase even more. Honestly I think the weakest point of the Beamswork, in the 48Ē model anyway, is that it only utilizes 10,000k whites.

Of course this my own thought process on it, I could be wrong. Iím sure one of the light gurus have a better explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM

I use MQ 24/7 Planted Plus Aquarium LED Light, Automated Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light with Remote Controller, purchased off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Think of it this way:

PAR or photosynthetically active radiation is a spectrum that plants actively use, so lighting that provides more radiation in these spectrums will yield more PAR, and the brighter/more light there is in these spectrums, the higher that value can go up. I think itís because the Fluval uses a better/wider spectrum for plant growth that itís able to yield more PAR. If the Fluval was even brighter (itís pretty bright at full intensity), the value would increase even more. Honestly I think the weakest point of the Beamswork, in the 48Ē model anyway, is that it only utilizes 10,000k whites.

Of course this my own thought process on it, I could be wrong. Iím sure one of the light gurus have a better explanation.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense--thanks! Maybe @jeffkrol can weigh in on this one.....
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Makes sense--thanks! Maybe @jeffkrol can weigh in on this one.....

Well PAR, by definition is all light between 400-700nm's.
There is no "weighting" for different spectrum within that range so
in a sense spectrum doesn't count just the amount of photons regardless of their err "color".
Few LED lights have much output >700 or <400..

PUR attempts to weight the spectrum by photosynthetic efficiecy i.e green photons count less than red photons..

Next factor is watt efficiency..so at the same wattage one light can have more PAR than another.

Technically a 10000k diode would have more PUR than a 6500k (assuming equal watt efficiency and equal watts) owing to the fact the 6500K would have more photons in the less efficient yellow/green band of "PUR". They would be equal in PAR w/ the above qualifications of equal output..

Curve below is really the err "PUR" curve not PAR
https://silassativariusdotorg2.wordp...cant-be-wrong/
varanidguy likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode