Wal-Mart daylight LED's PAR - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wal-Mart daylight LED's PAR

Does anyone have par reading for daylight bulbs from walmart perhaps in a brooder light fixture by chance, just looking for something to go by for a little better adjustment.

My tanks are low tech and I can adjust by trial and error with apoximation as I have been thus far, and it is fine but I have minor amounts of hair algae in two tanks and wanted to gain more information if I could.

Thanks in advance. If anyone has other tips please feel free to help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Will need more specifics on the bulb you are thinking about before folks can get facts. There will be lots of difference in different wattage, shapes and how they are mounted. Sorry about the non-answer answer but perhaps to move the discussion along?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I guess specifics would help. Primarily I'm looking at the 40 and 60 watt equivalent LED Great Value daylight bulbs with the medium socket size. They have a fogged over lens, basically the led replacement for old filament type bulbs.

Mine are mounted via brooder type lights. On one tank the 10" broader and the other has the 8.5" brooder lamp reflector. Though I don't use the clamp they camr with, I installed a shelf into wall above my tanks and I hang the light from that with the cord, ziptie, and eye hook from the shelf. This way I can adjust the height easily.

So far I used the light calculator on barrreport.com set to eco led's and assumed that was the closest option. Thibgs were okay for a while but just recently very minor amounts of hair/thread algae qnd want to decrease light. However for example my 29 gallon started with 2 60w and 1 40w(LED equivalent), then went with 2 40w and 1 60w and now has all three 40w. And still getting the hair algae growth. Though I wonder if I need to do a blackout to kill the algae and then see if it returns after a couple weeks.

Similar scenario on the 55 gallon except I caught it earlier it has 4 60w bulbs currently thinking about switching 2 to 40w.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,

If you know the the mark of the light you can try asking the company for specifics details. Serious companies may have specter and lumens, PAR, probably not, unless it is specifically for plants.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Manufactures post lumens for the light and you can calculate lux(lumens per square meter) using calculators such as this

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/lig...alculator.html

The next step is to convert lux to par based on factors such as this.

https://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...on-134936.html

An easier and more accurate way is to buy a lumen meter under $20 to measure lux directly, and then convert lux to PAR. I use a simple conversion factor of 0.7 which is good enough for white and blue led. Bear in mind the measurement is in air, not under water, meaning you have to measure the tank empty.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for info and links I will look into this further. Eveythibg helps as ive been mostly using an educated guess with mostly success, just the minor hair algae. Though I aimed high for my light to start rather than low. So my mistake there. I guess I was riding the line of how much light I coukd have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode