The Planted Tank Forum banner

Share Your Bulb Combo Thread

52K views 222 replies 29 participants last post by  Grobbins48 
#1 · (Edited)
A central place to see everyone's t5 bulb combos. Post a FTS with a label saying what bulb types from to back. PAR data is a bonus and can be listed if you have it.

All the following FTS are taken with a LG V30 f1.6 ISO 100 exposure 1/80 WB 5000k. The 6 bulb combos are brighter then the 4 bulb combos since the same settings were used.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

ATI Purple Plus/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

See less See more
#3 ·
I still like the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora the best I think. I was surprised with how much red stayed with just the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k combo. If it was a green plant only tank that would be my choice. It makes the green pop so well.

I still have a 10 000k, 2700k, ATI Aqua Blue Special and an ATI Blue plus to add to the mix. It's hard to add any blue or warm white in a 4 bulb setup I find.

#5 ·
This might be an easier way to compare the colours. I will leave the other photos in post #1 as well because it lets you see the cast of light with open top tanks.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

#7 ·
I took the opportunity to have some more fun with the Seneye PAR meter. Have been wanting to try some different combinations, so I broke out the bulb stash and went at it.

And I know this is of limited interest to many, as only so many of us T5 nerds are around anymore. But I think the idea of color of light and how it presents the tank does translate over to LED, if only that more control of color is better.

So below are nine pics with different combinations of bulbs. At the end is a chart showing the combinations for each pic.

Pic #1........

Pic #2.......

Pic #3.......

Pic #4.......

Pic #5.......

Pic #6.......

Pic #7.......

Pic #8.......

Pic #9.......

#10 ·
you can downlod some to here directly to your "album".

Other than that download to an image sharing site (or personal webspace) and add the link by the picture icon.

This site hs gotten pickier as to which images they allow.. as you can see by the broken one in my above post..

#16 ·
Just reviving this one a little bit. This information has been extremely helpful as I work to put together a new tank that will be only T5HO (likely 4 bulb over 75 gallon). I didn't realize the color that the standard Sunblaster 6400K bulb can put out with the combinations based on the above posts.

I like the Giesemann Super Flora, as well as the Tropic 6500K. The Tropic 6500K looks to have a more desirable relative intensity graph than that of the Sunblaster (which seems only green heavy, with a slight yellow tick as well).

My initial thought was to run something like this (no order yet):

Giesemann Tropic 6500K, Giesemann Super Flora, Power VEG 660, Giesemann Super Purple

This give me some daylight, as well as 'blues' and 'reds' to balance each other out.

I can grab all the Giesmann from Bulk Reef Supply today- and should be able to source the Power VEG 660 from the garden center not too far from me.

Still learning here, and open to conversation and feedback!

Giesemann Tropic 6500K

Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400K

Power VEG 660

Giesemann Super Purple

#22 ·
Giesemann Tropic 6500K, Giesemann Super Flora, Power VEG 660, Giesemann Super Purple
That looks like a very good combination. Should provide great color and great PAR too.

The 633 vs. 660 comes down to personal taste. I swapped out my 660 for 633 and the look to me had a slight orange tint. Went right back to the 660. But that is my personal taste with my particular mix of bulbs. In reality either one will probably look great.

#24 ·
4 bulbs are hard, I will be trying the same combo in the next month or two but with the Sunblaster 6400k instead of a midday. Going to get a 620 and a 660 to see how each looks.

I do love Paulina Zagorowska's bulb combo in her pictures, I think it's 2/3 aquaflora and 1/3 midday on a 6 bulb setup. I recently tried it out but had to use 1 zoomed pink. Took pictures and the white balance was off, it still didn't satisfy me completely but I didn't give it much of a chance either. That setup doesn't translate to 4 bulbs anyways.

Don't forget to add your combo with pics once you get everything set up.

#25 ·
Funny you should mention 4 bulbs...

So I have one fixture here currently, and two more on the way (found a two pack). So now my decision to make is do I grab one more for 4, or another two pack for 5 total.

Before you posted this I have been considering the 5 bulb route- both options are sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for my decision.

#30 ·
Using the Sunblaster Nano Tech fixtures with reflectors in a hood I am building.

I have the Giesemann Tropic 6500K, Giesemann Super Flora, and Giesemann Super Purple on order right now.

4 is what I'll stick with- I am trying to get some better color and stay around the 100ish for PAR so I can run 4 all day long- 8hrs (right now I run 80ish 8 hrs with a 150ish 2hr blast).

#37 ·
I'm really liking the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora, but I don't think I could afford the $35 fiji bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Good bulbs for the money, around $10 each. I've had a couple Pure Par for a few months. Color-wise its very similar to ATI Purple, might even have better color. It doesnt produce quite as much PAR as the ATI

If I didnt have all these Powerveg I'd load up on the red Pure Bloom. I just ordered one to try and a 4 pack of 3000K (my plantmax are getting old)

Guy on FB runs a 4 bulb combo of 1 each: red Pure Bloom, Pure PAR, 3000K bloom, and...I think a 6500K. Not sure on the 4th bulb but the tank looks great

Good place to buy - https://www.htgsupply.com/product-category/grow-lights/grow-light-bulbs/t5-bulbs/

Shipping on bulbs runs $20-30

They have good light units too, bought a couple from them

#40 ·
I decided to go with powerveg 633, giesemann tropic 6500k, super flora, super purple, 3000k, and a 420 actinic. I'll pick up the 3000k and antic locally.

I can't let the lady of the house figure out how much I just spent on bulbs.

Reactions: Greggz
#43 ·
Anyone know of a cheaper place to order the powerveg 633 from? I ordered from this place earlier today and they canceled my order because they made a mistake on their site. The bulb was $21.52 and shipping was $11.04 bringing my total to $32.56. They sent me a tracking number and everything.

Now they're saying shipping was actually $30 which would be $51.52 for one bulb. That's pretty crazy.

I can try checking locally again, but two months ago it was back ordered at every hydroponic store.

#46 ·
#50 ·
I'm excited to see how those AgroMax bulbs work. They're 100% more affordable than the giesemann bulbs. I'm interested at how much PAR they put out.

I was looking for a 3000k bulb and they have one so I'll order that now.

#52 ·
The Agromax bulbs didnt come today but I did get two Super Floras in. One for the 50 and one for a 20.

The 50 gal only has 2 bulbs. Currently a pretty fresh TrueLumen Flora and a 6500K. Wanted a little more PAR so I decided to try a Super Flora in place of the TLF.

Pics and PAR. Exposure is a little too bright but you'll get the gist

With the TLF and 6500K - 88 at the substrate

Super Flora and 6500K - 91 at the sub.

Not much difference in PAR...yet. Its only been burning about 5 hours. I'll check it again in a few days after its burned in good. Probably be higher. Color-wise the TL is much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.