Share Your Bulb Combo Thread - The Planted Tank Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Share Your Bulb Combo Thread

A central place to see everyone's t5 bulb combos. Post a FTS with a label saying what bulb types from to back. PAR data is a bonus and can be listed if you have it.

All the following FTS are taken with a LG V30 f1.6 ISO 100 exposure 1/80 WB 5000k. The 6 bulb combos are brighter then the 4 bulb combos since the same settings were used.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

ATI Purple Plus/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hendy8888; 06-22-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice!

Definitely shows how color of light changes how the tank is perceived.

So which is your favorite?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I still like the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora the best I think. I was surprised with how much red stayed with just the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k combo. If it was a green plant only tank that would be my choice. It makes the green pop so well.

I still have a 10 000k, 2700k, ATI Aqua Blue Special and an ATI Blue plus to add to the mix. It's hard to add any blue or warm white in a 4 bulb setup I find.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
I still like the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora the best I think. I was surprised with how much red stayed with just the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k combo.
Agreed. That is my favorite too.

But really, all are interesting in their own way.

---
---
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This might be an easier way to compare the colours. I will leave the other photos in post #1 as well because it lets you see the cast of light with open top tanks.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora
Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 3 others like this.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I thought I liked 4.
Then i liked 5 because I like purples
Then I liked 6 because, purples
But then i realized i like warmth too, so by comparison, I might go back to 5.
But the funny thing is, unless I see the others, I didnt even know what I wanted.
Hendy8888, Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I took the opportunity to have some more fun with the Seneye PAR meter. Have been wanting to try some different combinations, so I broke out the bulb stash and went at it.

And I know this is of limited interest to many, as only so many of us T5 nerds are around anymore. But I think the idea of color of light and how it presents the tank does translate over to LED, if only that more control of color is better.

So below are nine pics with different combinations of bulbs. At the end is a chart showing the combinations for each pic.

Pic #1........

Pic #2.......

Pic #3.......

Pic #4.......

Pic #5.......

Pic #6.......

Pic #7.......

Pic #8.......

Pic #9.......

---
---
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Careful w/ interpreting the Seneys w/ lights heavy in 660nm or greater light output.
Meter response charts weak..
What is PAR & PUR ? - Seneye
http://answers.seneye.com/@api/deki/...onse_curve.png
Immortal1 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-23-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Is the a link that gives instructions on how to add pictures the way you guys have shown here?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
Is the a link that gives instructions on how to add pictures the way you guys have shown here?

you can downlod some to here directly to your "album".

Other than that download to an image sharing site (or personal webspace) and add the link by the picture icon.

This site hs gotten pickier as to which images they allow.. as you can see by the broken one in my above post..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I use postimages.org to host the pictures and then use the "forum hotlink" copy function and paste the code into a reply here. It formats automatically to insert a picture wherever you paste it.

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

I will go with combo #4. Why are all the Super flora 54w bulbs sold out everywhere on the internet? Is there an equivalent somewhere?
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Plants? View Post
I will go with combo #4. Why are all the Super flora 54w bulbs sold out everywhere on the internet? Is there an equivalent somewhere?
If you mean the Giesemann Super Flora, I have not seen an equivalent.

And it's not the color, it's the PAR. I've tested lots of T5 bulbs, and Giesemann's are PAR beasts compared to everything else.

Now, in some cases it may be too much PAR for some tanks, so it's good to understand what you are dealing with.

---
---
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
If you mean the Giesemann Super Flora, I have not seen an equivalent.

And it's not the color, it's the PAR. I've tested lots of T5 bulbs, and Giesemann's are PAR beasts compared to everything else.

Now, in some cases it may be too much PAR for some tanks, so it's good to understand what you are dealing with.

I finally found some Giesemann floras. Going to try to mix that with the 660s.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Plants? View Post
Zoo Med, True Lumen, Wave Point, Red Sea, and Giesemann all have pink bulbs. I'm sure there's other brands I'm missing too. All will be slightly different from each other but once mixed you probably won't notice. As Greggz pointed out, the PAR output can be different from one manufacturer to the next.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode