Share Your Bulb Combo Thread - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 267Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wonder if a 6 bulb combo not in terms of power but more bulbs opens up doors to create more aesthetically pleasing view. It's way too much power as my next layout doesn't have stem plants. Could dim it with something like this but just use the 6 bulbs for a nicer spectrum?

With some sheets like this
sheet by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Not sure if it works with the heat my ati sunpower unit generates. Maybe I could stick it between the transparant protection panel and the fixture so it's on the outside and not directly against the bulbs... Did anyone every try to dim their t5 without being able to dim on the unit itself?

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
So in short lol... have to buy bulbs and just 'try'. However which bulbs are worth a try for my goal so I don't buy ones that will never be used maybe... What in your opinion should I add to my bulb collection to try?

My goals for next layout and t5 bulb combo

• Different shades of green plants / moss
  • Make colors of Bucephalandra pop (greenish / blueish)
  • Simulans fish
  • No yellow tint but I don't mind a blueish tint, like that actually like ADA RGB Solar makes the green really pop and the walls are blueish.
Your goals don't line up together very well. The green pop and blueish tint of a signature ADA light generally makes most greens the same colour. If your looking for this I'd try an ATI aquablue special or similar (white/blue) combo reef bulbs. This will have to be mixed with something warmer to tone it down though, possibly 3000k/6500k.

And yes....we probably all have a stash of t5 bulbs we don't use. That elusive perfect look might not actually exist but we sure try.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #183 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Your goals don't line up together very well. The green pop and blueish tint of a signature ADA light generally makes most greens the same colour. If your looking for this I'd try an ATI aquablue special or similar (white/blue) combo reef bulbs. This will have to be mixed with something warmer to tone it down though, possibly 3000k/6500k.

And yes....we probably all have a stash of t5 bulbs we don't use. That elusive perfect look might not actually exist but we sure try.

Thanks for the recommendation I try that bulb in the mix. Well just wanted to give a reference of the ADA RGB Solar. I mainly bought the t5 unit because it's very nice if I want to create colorful layouts. Now I just have to find out a bulb mix that would make me satisfied with a greenish plant layout. Then I could easily swap some bulbs depending on the plants I choose.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #184 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation I try that bulb in the mix. Well just wanted to give a reference of the ADA RGB Solar. I mainly bought the t5 unit because it's very nice if I want to create colorful layouts. Now I just have to find out a bulb mix that would make me satisfied with a greenish plant layout. Then I could easily swap some bulbs depending on the plants I choose.
Here is an old photo using all ATI aquablue special bulbs for reference. This was temporary until new bulbs were purchased.
Greggz, burr740 and Nigel95 like this.

post #185 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A while back we were discussing the difference between the powerveg 660 and the agromax pure bloom.
@burr740 i know you were one of the people who have run both the 660 and the pure bloom. I am curious, now that it has been almost a year of running a the pure bloom how you feel about each of the bulbs.
Greggz and burr740 like this.

|

post #186 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
A while back we were discussing the difference between the powerveg 660 and the agromax pure bloom.
@burr740 i know you were one of the people who have run both the 660 and the pure bloom. I am curious, now that it has been almost a year of running a the pure bloom how you feel about each of the bulbs.
Hey you forgot to mention a possible group buy!

If anyone is interested in stocking up on some Powerveg 660's, PM me.

They are getting hard to find, and I trying to work out buying a case.
Grobbins48 and ReeferRusso like this.

---
---
post #187 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:08 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post

Whats up G? yeah I like the pure bloom, its not quite as red as the pv, and I feel like it's lost a little red after about a year but I could be imagining that. Its a good bulb

I like their Pure Par too. Its about like ATI purple color-wise, it's a little less bright though.

For the money you cant beat them. I'll be using more in the future Im sure
Greggz and ReeferRusso like this.

post #188 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Whats up G? yeah I like the pure bloom, its not quite as red as the pv, and I feel like it's lost a little red after about a year but I could be imagining that. Its a good bulb

I like their Pure Par too. Its about like ATI purple color-wise, it's a little less bright though.

For the money you cant beat them. I'll be using more in the future Im sure
Good to know! I still do want to try a 660 out if Gregg is able to procure them. Overall I think I have found a good setup, but as we all know, that is subject to change during a long, cold winter!

Hmm... wonder if I can fit another sunblaster single fixture under my hood....
Greggz, burr740 and ReeferRusso like this.

|

post #189 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd be in on a pair but I'm also in Ontario like @Hendy8888

I'll be part of the 4' club here shortly

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #190 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I'd be in on a pair but I'm also in Ontario like @Hendy8888

I'll be part of the 4' club here shortly
Check out growlights.ca they have Fusion Bright 420nm, 460nm, 620nm, 660nm bulbs for $14.99 cdn and pretty cheap shipping if I remember correctly. Not PowerVeg's but I'm happy with mine.
Quagulator and ReeferRusso like this.

post #191 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Check out growlights.ca they have Fusion Bright 420nm, 460nm, 620nm, 660nm bulbs for $14.99 cdn and pretty cheap shipping if I remember correctly. Not PowerVeg's but I'm happy with mine.
I've already got a link saved to that website

I was going to ask if you've used them / how you like them before I ordered anything, but that answers that!
ReeferRusso likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #192 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I was just searching around for red bulbs and ran across the Growlight Real Red. Is this the one? If so, color graph looks more like 633 than 660? Or are the ones you mentioned something different?

https://growlite.com/content/pdf/spe...T5HO-24-54.pdf
ReeferRusso likes this.

---
---
post #193 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I was just searching around for red bulbs and ran across the Growlight Real Red. Is this the one? If so, color graph looks more like 633 than 660? Or are the ones you mentioned something different?

https://growlite.com/content/pdf/spe...T5HO-24-54.pdf
Here are the ones I have, as far as I can tell they are knock-off powerveg bulbs. I have never run a powerveg so can't compare but the marketing comes off as such, they even have a fs+uv.

The 660 is a bit deeper red to the eye vs the 620. I don't know if you can trust the graphs but it's what they give.
https://www.growlights.ca/4ft-t5-ho-...0nm-660nm.html

post #194 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here are the ones I have, as far as I can tell they are knock-off powerveg bulbs. I have never run a powerveg so can't compare but the marketing comes off as such, they even have a fs+uv.

The 660 is a bit deeper red to the eye vs the 620. I don't know if you can trust the graphs but it's what they give.
https://www.growlights.ca/4ft-t5-ho-...0nm-660nm.html
Interesting that they spike to 630 w/ IR emitting phosphors.
General "what the colors do"
https://www.cannagardening.com/effec...nt_development

Not sure FR works the same way in aquatics since their world is err turned upside down..
Red being filtered out rapidly means plants seeing little red are technically "shaded".
Opposite of terrestrials.
Many effects are similar though

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #195 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Interesting that they spike to 630 w/ IR emitting phosphors.
General "what the colors do"
https://www.cannagardening.com/effec...nt_development

Not sure FR works the same way in aquatics since their world is err turned upside down..
Red being filtered out rapidly means plants seeing little red are technically "shaded".
Opposite of terrestrials.
Many effects are similar though
Thanks for the link, I always enjoy when you share your lighting knowledge LED or otherwise, it's greatly appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode