Share Your Bulb Combo Thread - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interesting video from my colleague Drew on how reflected light from plant competition can have an effect on growth habits. I'm not saying we can directly correlate this to planted tanks, but it can possibly have an effect on internodal spacing / branching / root development up the stem along with a few other "competition" style growth patterns we see in some plants.

https://twitter.com/PRIDESEEDS/statu...75859606650880

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKliewer View Post
3000k bulb ordered. Thanks Greg for your reply! Will post an update once received.
How that 3000K look with your ATI Purple Plus?
post #153 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

25cube2019

Well the 3000k definitely warmed things up a bit. How do you attach a picture from a smartphone here or can you? I have rearranged the bulbs and with what I have it’s the best it has looked so far. It’s two super flora, one ATI purple, one 3000k, and two 6500k bulbs. I’m looking into getting a gel sleeve or safety guard tube in red to go over a 6500k bulb in hopes to replicate a powerveg 660 bulb seeing as they don’t offer a 36”. Greggz had mentioned trying the 3000k along with 3 super flora (I only have two) and one purple, one giessemann tropic (I don’t have yet). I’m not dissatisfied with my current combination but would like to better replicate Greggz combo. I’m going to get a sleeve of some sort in red to put over a bulb and see what happens. I cut down a red safety guard tube for a t12 bulb for an experiment but it’s not really transparent enough to get the color down to the plants I don’t feel. I also emailed EYE Hortilux that makes the powerveg bulbs and asked if they would custom make me some 660’s in a 36” length and they will not.
Greggz likes this.

post #154 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Also what’s up with the crazy letters in my posts? I’m not doing that? Thanks!
post #155 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

I have exhausted all my research into finding a solution for a red bulb. Rosco makes gel sleeves that go over the bulbs for stage and theatre lighting but the transmission of light is 55% at most for an almost pink red and as little as 8% for a dark red and that won’t work. Also the tube sleeves are for non ho bulbs only due to heat. VHT makes a spray paint that’s translucent red for tinting the taillights on your car however I feel that’s unsafe and won’t hold up to the heat long term. Led bulbs in a t5 size typically requires an electronic ballast and isn’t a drop in and go solution either. Really wish EYE Hortilux would make the powerveg in a 36” length!
post #156 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKliewer View Post
Really wish EYE Hortilux would make the powerveg in a 36” length!
Yes what is up with your crazy letters? Let me know what you come up with I am on the same boat. I using my 8 bulbs 36"( rewire remove one of the ballast) ATI light fixture from my reef tank
post #157 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Greggz;11334117] I would try 3 x Giesemann Super Flora, 1x Giesemann Super Tropic, 1 x ATI Purple Plus. With the Purple Plus, you really need a red/orange bulb to balance that color. Since you can't get a Powerveg in that size, I would find a 3000K bulb and try that. A 3000k is a bit more orange than the red of the Powerveg 660.........but some people prefer that. /QUOTE]What order front to back would you have these 6 bulbs combo
post #158 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Hey all! Been looking through the awesome pictures and comparisons here, have a few favorites but in a little bit of a bind decision wise. I have an LED fixture on my 75 gallon that came with the tank I purchased, but I know it's not enough alone and wanted t5 to supplement.

It came with a Fluval Plant Spectrum 3.0 Bluetooth LED light. Will be supplementing it with a 2 bulb t5 fixture as well.
What recommendations on bulbs to complement the LEDs do you guys have?

Thanks!
post #159 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier613 View Post
Hey all! Been looking through the awesome pictures and comparisons here, have a few favorites but in a little bit of a bind decision wise. I have an LED fixture on my 75 gallon that came with the tank I purchased, but I know it's not enough alone and wanted t5 to supplement.

It came with a Fluval Plant Spectrum 3.0 Bluetooth LED light. Will be supplementing it with a 2 bulb t5 fixture as well.
What recommendations on bulbs to complement the LEDs do you guys have?

Thanks!
I'm not personally familiar with that light but its likely you need more in the red and blue spectrum. That will allow you to get color like this, which makes a nice dawn and dusk. Bulbs lit in this pic are the PowerVeg 633 and Geismann AzureBlue, as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.
Greggz likes this.
post #160 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I'm not personally familiar with that light but its likely you need more in the red and blue spectrum. That will allow you to get color like this, which makes a nice dawn and dusk. Bulbs lit in this pic are the PowerVeg 633 and Geismann AzureBlue, as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.
Great picture!

I also have a ramp up/ramp down segment with just colored bulbs.

Actually one of my favorite times to observe the tank.

And besides the plants, the Rainbow fish color very intense as well.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode