• 1 Post By jp421
  • 1 Post By Beauseph613
  • 1 Post By FishRFriendz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval Plant 3.0 on 40g breeder

I am currently running 2x Finnex Stingrays and I am not happy with the color.

I have ordered a Planted+ 24/7 to try but I am not optimistic. I have tried beamswork and current and did not like the color on them as well.
I like the color on the finnex fugeray on my spec V and I am trying to obtain similar color on the 40 breeder with no luck so far.

Anyone tried a single Fluval Plant 3.0 on a 40g breeder? I cannot find the 36in on Amazon to try.

Thanks!
GeorgeTheGuppy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If I got your light correct the Fugeray is 8000K whites w/ deep red and if newer models splash of blue..
Most Finnex run 8000k whites so not an issue usually.
Stingray is pretty close w/ a bit more blue added..surprised you don't like the color...BUT the stingray uses regular reds I believe..not 660nm ones.
so just make sure the part. 24/7 has the deep red diodes.

The "normal" planted plus is probably, though generic, better.
https://www.finnex.net/index.php/pro...ixture-36.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
If I got your light correct the Fugeray is 8000K whites w/ deep red and if newer models splash of blue..
Most Finnex run 8000k whites so not an issue usually.
Stingray is pretty close w/ a bit more blue added..surprised you don't like the color...BUT the stingray uses regular reds I believe..not 660nm ones.
so just make sure the part. 24/7 has the deep red diodes.

The "normal" planted plus is probably, though generic, better.
https://www.finnex.net/index.php/pro...ixture-36.html
Ah, thanks for that. Perhaps the 24/7 will be what I need then based on that.

The stingrays are not bad, it just seems like the greens dont "pop" like they do on my other tank. The front to back width of the 40 doesnt help with the lights either.

From the other threads the Fluval seems to be a better light that any of the Finnex's but with it not being on Amazon, at least the 36in version, its harder to return if I am not happy with it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp421 View Post
I am currently running 2x Finnex Stingrays and I am not happy with the color.

I have ordered a Planted+ 24/7 to try but I am not optimistic. I have tried beamswork and current and did not like the color on them as well.
I like the color on the finnex fugeray on my spec V and I am trying to obtain similar color on the 40 breeder with no luck so far.

Anyone tried a single Fluval Plant 3.0 on a 40g breeder? I cannot find the 36in on Amazon to try.

Thanks!
I have the 3.0 on my 40 breeder and had to raise it to get better spread. I like the options to customize it but it has been some what of a pain to find a way to raise the light since my tank has a glass lid (the plastic risers that you can buy from 3d printer shops wont work with the lid). I ended up buying two of the current light brackets but had to rest the light on the top since the light clips are too wide and won't hold the fluval. I tried buying clips from fluval that fit the 3.0 but haven't had any luck finding any in the US.
Hope this helps.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseph613 View Post
I have the 3.0 on my 40 breeder and had to raise it to get better spread. I like the options to customize it but it has been some what of a pain to find a way to raise the light since my tank has a glass lid (the plastic risers that you can buy from 3d printer shops wont work with the lid). I ended up buying two of the current light brackets but had to rest the light on the top since the light clips are too wide and won't hold the fluval. I tried buying clips from fluval that fit the 3.0 but haven't had any luck finding any in the US.

Hope this helps.

How high did you raise yours to get enough spread?

Iíve got mine about 5Ē over the tank but still run 2 strips to help get less shadows. Using some wood risers sealed with acrylic paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
How high did you raise yours to get enough spread?

I’ve got mine about 5” over the tank but still run 2 strips to help get less shadows. Using some wood risers sealed with acrylic paint.

I haven't measured but they're raised about four inches off. The nice thing is that the brackets are adjustable in height and I believe go up to 6 inches. I currently have them on the lowest level.

Last edited by Beauseph613; 06-14-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Misread the questions. Whoops.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseph613 View Post
Hope this helps.

https://aquariumplants.com/products/...SABEgL1GfD_BwE
https://www.petswarehouse.com/fluval...85-a3978-sd-3/

Florida has 1000 IF 3.0 is the same shape as the 2.0 which I believe it is..

https://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighti...Lighting/A3978

Fluval Performance LED Mounting Clips

UPC: 015561139786
Item#: A3978

• Description
Fluval Performance LED Mounting Clips.
For use with Fluval Performance LED Lighting:
Aqualife & Plant: A3980, A3981, A3982
Marine & Reef: A3983, A3984, A3985

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp421 View Post
I have one on a standard 45 gallon. My gf purchased it at aquarium co-op for my birthday last month. It really bright! I turned it down to 50% as I'm starting to get a lot of algae.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
https://aquariumplants.com/products/...SABEgL1GfD_BwE
https://www.petswarehouse.com/fluval...85-a3978-sd-3/

Florida has 1000 IF 3.0 is the same shape as the 2.0 which I believe it is..

https://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighti...Lighting/A3978

Fluval Performance LED Mounting Clips

UPC: 015561139786
Item#: A3978

• Description
Fluval Performance LED Mounting Clips.
For use with Fluval Performance LED Lighting:
Aqualife & Plant: A3980, A3981, A3982
Marine & Reef: A3983, A3984, A3985
I could be mistaken, but I don't think those clips will fit the 3.0. I couldn't find any reviews on the clips themselves but the reviews on the 2.0 suspension kit say it won't work with the 3.0.

Item# 14565 is the mounting clips and item# 14566 is the suspension kit that fit the 3.0, or at least that's what fluval posted in a video. The only sellers I've come across that have them are in the UK.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Dang, yea looks like you are correct, one has 2 holes not offset other has one and an offset..
sorry..

OK I've made it somewhat of a crusade....
Partially because at one time I needed Eheim gaskets only available in the UK..so where there is a will there is a way..

Unfortunately only found the hanging kit for the 3.0 (cable and brackets)
BUT will "post" to the US..

Downside is going to be apparent in a minute..
"Kit' $19.95
Express to US $15.02

Total $34.97 pounds sterling..

$44.02..................US $'s approx

Evil bay

ACTUALLY also has just clips...
Quote:
GBP 11.95
Approximately US $15.16

GBP 14.90 (approx. US $18.90) Expedited Shipping to United States

Item location:
bexleyheath,kent, United Kingdom

Ships to:
United Kingdom and many other countries | See details

Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. Jun. 25 and Fri. Jun. 28
help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Includes international tracking
$34.06 US

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-27-2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
OK I've made it somewhat of a crusade....
Partially because at one time I needed Eheim gaskets only available in the UK..so where there is a will there is a way..

Unfortunately only found the hanging kit for the 3.0 (cable and brackets)
BUT will "post" to the US..

Downside is going to be apparent in a minute..
"Kit' $19.95
Express to US $15.02

Total $34.97 pounds sterling..

$44.02..................US $'s approx

Evil bay

ACTUALLY also has just clips...

$34.06 US
Sorry for not responding sooner, I've been away on vacation.

Anyway, thanks! That is a little pricey but good to know that I can at least get it to the states.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode