Nicrew vs. Beamswork - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Which would you advise for 10g planted tank?

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquari...8-4&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...ons&psc=1&th=1

The link below is the 24 inch light for the other Beamswork I have on my 20 high. Is that light any better or different than what I chose above??
I use GLA fertilizers on my tanks and do not grow any really high light plants in these tanks either. Cutting to the chase is that I want a budget friendly alternative to finnex planted plus that I use on my 40g breeder that has CO2 to use on these non high tech tanks. Too expensive for my budget currently.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-650...8-6&th=1&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I only own two lights, and they are the two lights you've linked above. (!!). Here's what I think of them:

I have the Beamswork DA FSpec over a 20H (mine is 24" long). I've had it for 18 months and have been very happy with it. It's well built, is easy to hook to a dimmer/controller (go third party rather than getting the Beamswork 'timer', see below), and though the light produced is slightly cool, my aquarium looks great with it.

I have the Nicrew tricolor over a Fluval Spec V five gallon tank. I've had it for about five months and have been mostly happy with it. The mounting legs aren't that great, and the light runs hot, but with a dimmer/controller (again, easy to hook up) it works well. It seems to have a larger proportion of colored LEDs and not quite as much blue as the DA FSpec, which makes the light seem slightly warmer. I like the look of the light produced very much, slightly better than the Beamswork (which I also like!).

Comparisons:

The beamswork fixture is 4.75" wide, while the nicrew is only 2.5" wide. So with the Beamswork, the LED's are spread over twice the width. This can be considered a plus, because the wider fixture will give somewhat more even light coverage, while being slightly better about preventing shadows. However, if you want to view the tank from the top, it blocks a lot more of the view, so that would be a minus if it matters to you.

The beamswork comes in 20" length which should just fit your 10G. The longer Nicrew (which is the version I have) is 14.5" long, with extendable metal legs (which are slightly loose - beware of them sliding and dropping the non-waterproof light into your tank during maintenance - I've already done this twice with mine - despite it's non-waterproofness I was able to take it out of the water, turn it off, disassemble it easily via four phillips screws and dry it out, and it was none the worse for wear). Basically the Beamswork will be a big honking fixture over your tank, while the Nicrew will look much more petite.

Both lights are too much for your 10G. This is actually a plus for both, because it means you can use a digital dimmer/controller and get exactly the amount of light you want. I own, and recommend, the S2-Pro, which just plugs in inline to both cords with no mods needed. I bought mine HERE (from Ali express - you can find them on Evilbay too). It lets you set eight light levels during the day (where a 'level' is a value between 0-100 and is a percentage of the total fixture power), and the controller ramps the light between them.

The Beamswork is $35 right now, and the Nicrew is $25. Throw in an extra $12-13 for the dimmer/controller (which is really worth it!). If you don't mind how large the Beamswork is, it is the better built fixture, and the mounting legs are superior. On the other hand, the Nicrew is cheaper, slimmer (which will be nice if you often view your tank from the top), and I slightly prefer the light color. But be very careful about dropping it into the tank. With a fixture smaller than your tank, it gets very easy to bump in one of the mounting legs and when you set the fixture back down it goes right in the water.
Pwilly07 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode