post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
first neither is what it seems..
The 165W is closer to (at least from both kill a watt people and visuals) 100W
the 300W (it's stupidly a name)
At BEST (and normally not run at 1/2w.. think of this as LED strips w/ lenses) 169W and most likely near the 100W level though I have seen it listed at 65W soo????

Better??
Thanks for the correction there. Come to think of it, I've heard of the LED floodlights being grossly overrated as well.

Wait, "300W" is the name? That's pretty tricky. I didn't catch that they were 0.5W LEDs.

Nice canopy! For the sake of maintenance I like having mine topless, but a canopy + DIY LED seems like a great way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Just buy the standard floodlights and be done with it, i've had good success with them as a cheap and practical lighting solution
then focus your energy where it matters - the scape and plant growth!
@Remmy
Looks like your plants are doing really well under the floods! Do you have a link to the lights you used? What color temp were they, and does it look that yellow in person? Also, did you just run the lights on/off, or did you use a dimmer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheGuppy View Post
Looks like your plants are doing really well under the floods! Do you have a link to the lights you used? What color temp were they, and does it look that yellow in person? Also, did you just run the lights on/off, or did you use a dimmer?
No link but they were 30 watt COB style (with the single LED matrix in the center) and were listed as cool white 6500k~.
It wasn't as yellow as the photo shows, the light produced is a cooler white.
There's a bunch of new floodlight models these days with differing LED arrangements and types, i'm unsure if those are better or worse than the 'original' type that i used here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
No link but they were 30 watt COB style (with the single LED matrix in the center) and were listed as cool white 6500k~.
It wasn't as yellow as the photo shows, the light produced is a cooler white.
There's a bunch of new floodlight models these days with differing LED arrangements and types, i'm unsure if those are better or worse than the 'original' type that i used here.
Thanks, almost everything I've looked at is COB now. If I go this route, I think I'll get three of these 50W 6000K lights. From what I read, LED floods are notorious for being overrated though, so I wish I could find its actual power draw.

It looks like there's a lot better selection of AC flood lights, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to dim it. Does anyone know if a dimmer like this can be used with AC led lights?

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks, almost everything I've looked at is COB now. If I go this route, I think I'll get three of these 50W 6000K lights. From what I read, LED floods are notorious for being overrated though, so I wish I could find its actual power draw.

It looks like there's a lot better selection of AC flood lights, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to dim it. Does anyone know if a dimmer like this can be used with AC led lights?
If the total lightning is under 200w and they have dimmable circuitry.. don't see why it wouldn't work..
It's made for AC bulbs..AC/DC conversion done inside the bulb/flood base

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
From what I read, LED floods are notorious for being overrated though, so I wish I could find its actual power draw.
You're right about that, luck of the draw to a certain extent though. The 30's i used were pretty close to the listed draw however a 50watt i bought only drew around 36w from memory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
If the total lightning is under 200w and they have dimmable circuitry.. don't see why it wouldn't work..
It's made for AC bulbs..AC/DC conversion done inside the bulb/flood base
I think the TRIAC-type dimming can mess with LED drivers if they're not specifically made to handle it. Remember when LED light bulbs first were coming out, you'd put one in a dimmable socket and it would go nuts when you dimmed it? (If you're familiar with all this, I don't mean to patronize.)

Quote:
You're right about that, luck of the draw to a certain extent though. The 30's i used were pretty close to the listed draw however a 50watt i bought only drew around 36w from memory.
Thanks. I just wish there were a way to be sure; annoying that overrating is so rampant. You'd think Amazon would take them down for false advertising.

At this point I'm pretty heavily leaning toward just buying the Fluval 3.0, though. I think I'll do that to start, and maybe over the next few years I'll start on a full DIY fixture - if I'm gonna do DIY, I think I'd rather take my time and do it to enjoy the project than just to save some cash.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
IMO, DIY (LED) projects get rather complicated rather quickly, with a steep learning curve. And, in the end, it still works and looks like DIY.
If the subject matter holds your interest then more power to you. If you want to get to the point of plants growing and fish swimming then buy off the shelf.
I agree if the hobbyist isn't very diy oriented I would stay away from making a fixture. Not to mention with the voltages we are talking about when wiring a fixture, it could be very dangerous if care isn't taken when working on it.

However I will say now that I've been around the block with making my own fixture using 3w led stars, LDD drivers, and a TC420 controller I don't think I'll ever use a consumer light fixture on future tanks.
Once you know what is going on it's very easy to mix your own led's to suit any color spectrum you want.
Also once you get over the hump of acquiring the hardware to assemble and make the fixtures things get fairly cheap compared to AI, Kessil, Ecotech fixtures.
GeorgeTheGuppy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode