Finnex being disconnected - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finnex being disconnected

I have a Finnex Ray 2 on one of my planted tanks and like it quite a bit. I was entertaining the thought of getting another one for a 20 gallon I'm shortly setting up. Finnex has decided to quit manufacturing it so I thought I would seek suggestions from other planted tank fans. Im planing on a carpeted, and quite colorful use of plants.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions/opinions,etc....

Bump: Finnex is being DISCONTINUED......not disconnected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not Finnex, but the Fluval 3.0 is a very capable light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not surprising that the RayII is being discontinued..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Not surprising that the RayII is being discontinued..

As someone who is still in the lighting learning curve, Id appreciate you expanding on your comment.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Not Finnex, but the Fluval 3.0 is a very capable light.

Greetings, one reason I do like the Finnex is because it has no foo-foo. Turn it on and turn it off. It has plenty of light for my needs. I do understand folks who want a lot of doo-dads with their light source but I'm looking for simplicity. The Fluval3.0 is indeed a fine light.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
As someone who is still in the lighting learning curve, Id appreciate you expanding on your comment.

Bump:
You can absolutely have the Fluval 3.0 on and off. And it makes things a bit easier because it has a built-in timer. It's as simple as telling it when you want it to come on and when you want it to turn off, sunrise and sunset are totally optional.
RCB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One trick pony and the high k (8000) white only specturm is dated.
Even in it's day many added a Monster Ray to add "color"...

Had good PAR levels though.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...upplement.html
varanidguy and RCB like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
Just something to keep in mind: Those lights are still going to be available on the market under different brands/stickers. Finnex was merely rebranding imported OEM goods from China - which are now markedly more expensive. Aquatop is one of the rebranders and there are several others on Amazon and various aquatic retail sites.
livebearerlove and RCB like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Regarding the Fluval 3.0 light. I don't have any bluetooth capabilities. Can I still use this light ? I see that it does not come with any remote control unit.

Thanks for your help.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Regarding the Fluval 3.0 light. I don't have any bluetooth capabilities. Can I still use this light ? I see that it does not come with any remote control unit.

Thanks for your help.

If nobody has an answer for you, Iíd be happy to test it out for you with mine.

RCB likes this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

It has a button on the top with 3 different modes. On, Off and Blue only. But you will benefit the most out of it by using a smart phone or a tablet.

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/plant-spectrum/
RCB likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
It has a button on the top with 3 different modes. On, Off and Blue only. But you will benefit the most out of it by using a smart phone or a tablet.

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/plant-spectrum/

Prior to getting a blue tooth item, I will need to use the ON/OFF feature. Will I be able to do any dimming or is the light factory set at a particular setting ?

Thanks all for your help, this old guy appreciates it .
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Prior to getting a blue tooth item, I will need to use the ON/OFF feature. Will I be able to do any dimming or is the light factory set at a particular setting ?

Thanks all for your help, this old guy appreciates it .

Not sure about any dimming features without Bluetooth. I believe it's just on/off at all channels on full.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
Not sure about any dimming features without Bluetooth. I believe it's just on/off at all channels on full.

The good news for me is that Aquarium Co-Op replied that even without a Blue Tooth device , I will be able to adjust the brightness of the light by just holding down the power button. Its default setting is 100 % bright. Without a Blue Tooth device I wont be able to program it to perform some of the other features it has.

I think this is going to be the light for my new tank. Much obliged for all those who have answered my queries.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The good news for me is that Aquarium Co-Op replied that even without a Blue Tooth device , I will be able to adjust the brightness of the light by just holding down the power button. Its default setting is 100 % bright. Without a Blue Tooth device I wont be able to program it to perform some of the other features it has.

I think this is going to be the light for my new tank. Much obliged for all those who have answered my queries.
Just incase, I want to warn you that the the 24-48" versions have a button but the nano version has no button and can only be controlled by bluetooth.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
Just incase, I want to warn you that the the 24-48" versions have a button but the nano version has no button and can only be controlled by bluetooth.

Thanks for the heads up ... I just placed an order with Aquarium Co-Op for a 24" model and wish to thank all who helped me decide on which light to get for the 20 Im putting together.. Later on I may decide on getting another one to replace the Finnex Ray 2.
varanidguy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode