LEDs for deep, wide tank (120g) - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
LEDs for deep, wide tank (120g)

Any recommendations for on-the-tank LED fixtures that will provide high light at the substrate of a 48x24x25 tank? I've looked at the Aquatic EDGE (no PAR data posted) and the Finnex Planted 24/7 CRV (~33 units/fixture), reaching the conclusion I'd probably need three Finnexes, something I'm disinclined to do. I'd prefer LEDs over T5HOs for the dimmability and other customization options.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...ter-plant.html maybe?
2x radion?
https://orphek.com/atlantik-v4-plant...ums-led-light/ can supposedly cover 48x35 but I'm not sure how high it needs to be for that or if their mounting hardware would have it high enough for that...

those latter options are $$$$
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

On the tank makes it a wee bit more difficult..
Most "deep water" lights are lensed 90 degrees making them more of a hanging thing though the radion mounts ect. are doable..

also the center support (if it has one) makes a big difference..mostly for price since brackets aren't cheap..

4 ai primes plus brackets would run $980-ish

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...SABEgKQEvD_BwE
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prime...yABEgK3A_D_BwE

no center support 3 would work..

consider this the 2nd most expensive tier...

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-freshw...ter-plant.html
2 of these.. $600..

last Fluval plant 2.0 x 2
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...d-2-0_orig.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Spectru...gateway&sr=8-1

$400...A3992

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-01-2019 at 06:21 AM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:46 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I am pretty happy with 3 AI Prime Freshwater over a 60x25x24 @ < 70% (their WiFi networking is a bit flaky).
Maybe start with x2 a bit higher up with higher intencity. Shopping around would save you ~$50 on 2.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I am pretty happy with 3 AI Prime Freshwater over a 60x25x24 @ < 70% (their WiFi networking is a bit flaky).
Maybe start with x2 a bit higher up with higher intencity. Shopping around would save you ~$50 on 2.

Yea, probably doable..Just a bit concerned about light falloff outside of sweet spot..(Gus made me do it..)
@ 24" but his tank will be 24" plus about 6"..
Still a healthy amount of PAR..and dropping them certainly is an option but w/ creating dull spots in the first few inches of the water column..

Soo depends on exactly what the op wants/needs..

100W over a 120gal is normally sufficient..though as a starting principal for high light I would like to see 1W/ gal.. don't hate me..
It's just a start till one gets the feel for it..

Certainly 4 is overkill but in a sense certainly can't go wrong.. except financially..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-01-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We have a 48x24 base 16High 80gal., and a 48x24 base 24High 120gal too.
Usually the glass is only 24 tall...usually.
The plastic trim hits the 25 mark in overall actual height.

As for light, see if you can get your hands on some friends lights or visit some fish shops nearby in the road trip area to see if they have a few good "display" LEDs at the store to show off what that LED does at 24 inches.

Most 180gal, 150, and 120 gallon tanks have a series with a 24 inch base.
See if the keyword "planted 180" or planted 150 or planted 120 build leads anywhere to "builds" with great 24 inch tanks on Youtube.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tank has a center support and I had planned to run it with glass tops, which leaves me with the Fluval-type units as the best option. Based on the PAR data, the Fluval is markedly superior to the Finnex, possibly enough that two units would be enough. Unless there's something else out there with higher output, this seems to be the best choice.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:27 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Ken's Fish tends to have the best price on Fluvals, with a coupon.
And AI Primes can be mounted to the wall behind the tank.
Rainer and RCB like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The Fluval seems to fall off around 50-60% for each six inches of depth, which gives roughly 45 mMol at 24". With two fixtures, that should double in the zone between the two but approximately how much would it be directly below them and a couple inches away from the long walls?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
FWIW, I am actually running (2) Radion XR15 lights on my 75g (48"x18"x21" tall) tank and at about 50% power I can get over 100 mMol at the substrate. With your tank having 4 more inches of water, I suspect you might have to run the lights a little harder - say 60-70% to achieve the same PAR level as my tank. Various pictures of my tank are in my build thread below.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 150 gallon 4' x 2' x 30"H. For lighting I use 2 radion XR15 and I can tell you right now, that is not enough light. My stems are leggy and I struggle growing plants that are foreground-midground. I'm also TN so if you are near Chattanooga, feel free to swing by and check it out!

I think on a 2' tall tank you would be fine. If you get the XR15 G2 you should have more than enough lighting.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lots of love in this thread for the Radions but the Fluval 3.0s appear to be a better fit, both for low profile and focusing light on the slopes of the rocky ridge, rather than centering on the rock itself, of this peninsula tank.

The question remains, however, whether the two 3.0s will provide high light at that depth, say 26".

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

I haven't tried the long Fluval lights, but the Nanos have been great for me. With three, I run overlapping schedules, so that the tank light rises in the east and sets in the west, and I only do peak lights (50%) for 1.5 hours per light, with a 2.0 hour ramp up and a 2.0 hour ramp down. With my 50% max, I only run 10% blue, since I heard BBA likes blue more than plants. I also decided to not run any blue at night for that reason. I wish I had more references for that statement, but if you search Fluval siesta, you might see the video.

One thing you get with the Nanos is height adjustment, if you need that. You can adjust height, and the extension of the light from the horizontal support.

I also schedule my three internal powerhead foam filters via Apex Fusion. I am trying to manipulate light and flow rather than chemistry, although I keep researching CO2. This is a Walstad tank where I only do minimal water changes from rinsing my foam in tank water.

I do pre-treat my village water for chloramine, but I found out there is a natural spring a mile away, so I am going to grab a bucket and do a water test!

Cheers

Bump: I want to add that I am now a super-fan of running multiple lights. I get to have my tank lit from 06:30 - 21:00 without algae blooms. I just have to make sure to keep the peak levels down. Right now, the east side of my tank is totally dark, but the west side is mellow, probably 25% at this time.

I'm thinking of adding the Apex Lunar Simulator Module, and their three (white) LED strip, but mounting them to only provide indirect moonlight to the tank, following the actual lunar cycle.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/produ...nar-simulator/

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f0HZ%fw5R2i4lWfVCjxoyA.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	882629  

Last edited by Streetwise; 06-11-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Photo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode