2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED lights and fire hazard

Hi guys, So recently one of my aquarist buddy received a recall notice for his Twinstar SA Series 600SA, and sent them back.
The casing was extremely hot (like burning hot) and after contacting the shop who sold them to him, he received the recall letter, which strongly advises the user to stop using the light. "Failure to take do so may result in extreme heat, electrical shock and/or fires which may cause serious injury, death and/or damage to property" etc.

While it sounds very dramatic, I started thinking about all this and the possibility of my own LED lights (I don't have the same brand) to "catch on fire".
Is it even possible for a LED lights ramp to catch on fire? Or to start a fire?
If so, which part would be the one starting the fire? I read this article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/led-l...risk-david-lee and am still pretty confused. If there is a risk, is it preventable? Did you experience anything like it with your LED lights (I do hope noone did)?
I know it sounds silly, but I'm curious now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No, it's not silly.. There are risks to almost anything..

As I build my own lights and prob take more than usual "risks" I can report that most risks I'd see are with power supplies..
Enclosed brick units can get very hot to the touch.
I've been fortunate to scavange many fan-less open frame high DC voltage high quality brand ones at relatively dirt cheap prices mitigating what I'd consider the #1 failure/risk point.

As to diodes.. some have reported melted furniture by placing high output units face down and running..
Pushing soo many photons from a small emitter surface is quite energetic.

On average my pucks/bars only get to about 120F so see little risk there.
diodes are mostly minerals, metal and some epoxy/silicone lenses w/ real tiny gold wires..

Aquarium Safety - Preventing Electrical Fire - Tropical Fish AquaristTropical Fish Aquarist
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/led-l...isk-david-lee/
I've heard more about ballasts in fluorescents causing problems..which is just a fancy power supply..

Upgrading your power supplies is probably the biggest improvement you can make for safety..oh and keeping things dry..

If you look at risks w/ LED "bulbs" for the home you will see power circuits (fire) and poor design (shock) are the biggest risks
but that is pretty universal for most lighting (well not so much for incandescents (filiment bulbs) but still have heat issues..
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/ge...n-hazards-sold
Broutilde likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-16-2019 at 04:31 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Whenever you have electricity flowing some of the energy will be converted to heat. Too much heat can cause the LED lamp to fail but that by itself probably will not cause a fire. But anything located nearby that is flammable can catch fire. If a short circuit develops sparks could be created. Sparks and high temperature near something flammable can result in a fire. However with a good design it is possible to build a lamp that at most only gets warm to the touch. As long as everything stays as cool as possible there shouldn't be an issue.
Broutilde likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode