Nicrew LED light in my cart... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nicrew LED light in my cart...

I have the Nicrew Classic LED light in my Amazon cart, almost ready to checkout.

I have a 10gal with low light plants, no canopy (I'm having a glass lid made), that right now has two random lamps with 6500K cfl lights rigged up.

I see lots of good reviews, and the price is right, I just want to double check this light will meet my needs, while not causing any extra issues (ie, light is too strong and causes algae).

I also have the dimmer/timer ($18) in my cart. Is that worth it, or is a regular timer from any local store good? Right now I don't have any timer, just a reminder on my phone to turn the lights on and off. Usually about 6hrs (4pm - 10pm).

I rarely shop online, so I'm a bit nervous to commit in case it's not great and I want to return it.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I own a Nicrew LED and have mixed feelings. It's very bright -I use it on a 30" deep tank. They aren't particularly well-made in my opinion from owning one unit. Soldering inside the unit was sloppy, the fixture itself doesn't feel substantial or well-insulated, and metal "legs" that it suspends over the tank with are absolute bare minimum to keep it in place. That should not be an issue if placing it on a glass top. I have a Finnex also from Amazon that scores better in all of these complaints, though is still very much an economy LED. If I were buying another would lean towards that brand if on a budget. Having said that, I've had the Nicrew for almost 2 years now and it's grown plants. If you're more familiar with typical hobby lights seen in your LFS the difference between Nicrew and something like a Marineland Planted LED is pretty stark though.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got NICREW ClassicLED Plus light together with NICREW Single Channel LED Light Timer for my 2.5 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work as expected, I have absolutely no complaints about quality. Plenty of light for my small tank, I currently have it dimmed to 30% intensity and this seems to produce more light than 13 watt CFL that was on this tank before.

Just two things I didn't particularly like:
  • light spectrum - it is on a "cold" side of the things, I prefer lights that are ~5000K, I have a few Beamswork lights that are supposed to be 6500K, they look significantly warmer than NICREW;
  • timer allow just a single period of lighting - I prefer to run split photo period and this is impossible with this timer.
Ramp up/ramp down feature of the timer works great, I'd like to get somewhere similar timer that allow more than one cycle per day!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Get the dimmer, be way too much light w/o it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Timer/dimmer is always worth it..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
corey of aquarium co-op posted a review on youtube. par was 28 - 34 @ ~18". looks like the 24" model he tested. mentioned same build quality issues as blue ridge reef. i have the same timer/dimmer and use it on my beamswork. the sunrise/sunset feature is nice, but kind of "choppy" and if you set the lights to less than 100%, the sunrise/set time decreases from 15 min to about 11 (confirmed by nicrew).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The nicrew classic plus is supposed to be for planted tanks plus its brighter than than the classic.
18watts version.
I have the classic plus on a 15 tall.

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
corey of aquarium co-op posted a review on youtube. par was 28 - 34 @ ~18". looks like the 24" model he tested. mentioned same build quality issues as blue ridge reef. i have the same timer/dimmer and use it on my beamswork. the sunrise/sunset feature is nice, but kind of "choppy" and if you set the lights to less than 100%, the sunrise/set time decreases from 15 min to about 11 (confirmed by nicrew).
If I recall the one corey reviewed wasn't the Plus. Still gives a good idea about the brand.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
If I recall the one corey reviewed wasn't the Plus. Still gives a good idea about the brand.
yes, he reviewed the classic. and the op has a classic.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Planted Member

These are ones i bought for my 7gal

Actually itís mingdak brand timer is what I was shipped.

Basically $27 for light and $15 for ramp timer. You know itís really perfectly fine for what I paid for it. It does little low tech tank fine. Iíve got multistage ramp timer set up for [email protected]%>[email protected]%>[email protected]% for good morn/midday/afternoon simulation. Only down side is ramp timer doesnít have battery backup for clock setting but it does write your lighting sequence to non-volatile memory so you wonít lose that. Takes about 7sec to reset clock though. Is a workaround you can set up if youíve got a old AC timer with battery backup for time.

At those prices their almost bic lighter disposable as far as Iím concerned. 1 month in on them. Ramp timer as stated above is a little jumpy at 20% or less intensities, above 30% you barely notice it.

Hereís light at 70%, grows rotala and red root floaters like crazy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode